Smart Cart on rolling terrian

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ann knight

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I went to a drving seminar last weekend and had a chance to see a Pacific Smart Cart owned by one of the presenters. I loved it ! We didn't have a mini to hitch up but my friend got in and I played horse <g>. The ride was great and it pulled easily for me ( I'm 129 lbs ) but that was in a lovely indoor arena on level ground. My question is would my guy ( 34") be okay with this cart on our hilly property . It isn't major hills and I would condition him, of course but I know the Smart Cart is heavier than some of the other carts . I have a metal EE cart . To be honest , I felt more comfortable in the smart Cart as it didn't seem as high and can adjusted to the horse. It is alot of money ($3300 . after shipping and taxes ) So it is a major chunk of change .

Any advice is appreciated .

Thank you

Ann

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about the smart cart, but I did look at them quite a bit and oogled them for quite some time while in the shopping and research phase of my cart search, and they are really adjustable. After shopping all winter I decided to get a bellcrown aerocrown since they are local for me to purchase and I could go sit in one to try it out. We played horse and I was amazed that there was absolutely no weight on the shafts with someone sitting in the seat... I love it on my hilly rolling terrain on our farm, the suspension is awesome on rough ground and my boy loves it. I am not disappointed on my choice, it rolls like a dream and is very light and well balanced for my boy to pull. You also might want to check out the hyperbike too. That is an awesome cart too, Leia loves hers. I agree with Leia when she told me it was really about personal choice and comfort and you can't beat trying out a cart if you can. Shop and test and the answer will come

On the money, it only hurt a little bit
default_wink.png
LOL, but was well worth it in the long run for me to find the cart that fit me and my boy. I have heard lots of good things about the smart cart, it was in the top three cart choices for me. The aerocrown fit in the back of my SUV and carriage machine shop is just down the road from us, so that also influenced my decision. Best wishes on your search!
default_saludando.gif

I have owned both a Smart Cart and a Bellcrown Aerocrown (my current cart). For a smaller mini I would really recommend the Aerocrown. I did love my Smart Cart and it went very well with my larger mini, and okay with my smaller ones. But my 33" and 33.5" minis pull that Aerocrown like a dream! I love it!

Thank you ClickMini for your post. I also liked the Bellcrown Aerocrown but have not had a chance to try it . I don't know if there is anyone around here that carries them . ( actually , I'm pretty sure there isn't) I do want something light, well made and mostly comfortable for my horse . I will look into the Aerocrown more . Thanks again .....Ann

Thanks ShorthorseMom for your post . That is great to know that they are all adjustable, well the better carts anyway. I am going to try to find an aerocrown to try/see in person . I don't know that my comfort zone would allow a Hyperbike yet
default_rolleyes.gif

I am sure that day will come but right now I want comfort for my boy. The portablilty is very appealing . Thank you so much for your thoughths.....Ann

I don't know about the smart cart, but I did look at them quite a bit and oogled them for quite some time while in the shopping and research phase of my cart search, and they are really adjustable. After shopping all winter I decided to get a bellcrown aerocrown since they are local for me to purchase and I could go sit in one to try it out. We played horse and I was amazed that there was absolutely no weight on the shafts with someone sitting in the seat... I love it on my hilly rolling terrain on our farm, the suspension is awesome on rough ground and my boy loves it. I am not disappointed on my choice, it rolls like a dream and is very light and well balanced for my boy to pull. You also might want to check out the hyperbike too. That is an awesome cart too, Leia loves hers. I agree with Leia when she told me it was really about personal choice and comfort and you can't beat trying out a cart if you can. Shop and test and the answer will come

On the money, it only hurt a little bit
default_wink.png
LOL, but was well worth it in the long run for me to find the cart that fit me and my boy. I have heard lots of good things about the smart cart, it was in the top three cart choices for me. The aerocrown fit in the back of my SUV and carriage machine shop is just down the road from us, so that also influenced my decision. Best wishes on your search!
default_saludando.gif

You are welcome. I don't bend well and get leg nerve pain sometimes due to a bad riding wreck a few years ago. I found the aerocrown really really comfortable for my lower back and legs. I have the style with the higher back on the seat and with the arm rest pads.. I don't get sore at all and my boy who struggled with my heavy meadowbrook pulls my new cart like a dream. My trainer and I really played with the shaft adjustments in length and width and balance until we were very satisfied and I don't plan to move anything any time soon given the amount of time we were tweeking to make my trainer happy with the fit.

The smart cart from what I understand is even more adjustable than the aerocrown, however the aerocrown is adjustable enough to make me happy with the overall fit and balance for my boy and for me. If I find myself in need of taking off or moving the shafts I will probably find some way to mark things. You also can't beat the lower draft of the aerocrown. You do need trace carriers I found out to add to your harness (thanks Leia for that post).

My driving boy is 33 inches and a bit chubby. He cantered up a hill with my aerocrown on my last lesson and we did some small hazards and it was GREAT. We go over waffle treads left by the tractors and it rides smooth.

You can google aerocrown cart (or something like that) and find video of people doing hazards with their aerocrown to see it in action. The one I found in video has the other style seat, I prefer the high back seat, feels like it is holding me in place and encourages me to use proper posture in my opinion. I did not get the marathon shafts for mine. You get one set of shafts and it is the same price whether you do marathon or regular type. I didn't want to adjust the harness right now to make it useable for marathon shafts, maybe later... I am very happy with my choice and it was well worth every penny I spent. Best wishes..
default_wub.png

Ps, I am on a weight loss and exercise program so there may be a hyperbike in my future, it was my original first choice, aerocrown and then smart cart in that order, but my physical limitations made me choose the aerocrown first. Shop and try and ask lots of questions and you will find the cart that is best for you personally.

[We have driven the Smart Cart for years. In fact, I drove the prototype Smart Cart in an event at Happ's and ordered our first one shortly thereafter. i own Smart Cart #2
default_rolleyes.gif
I have used the cart in competition with ALL sizes of minis from my 32 inch gelding, to my 40 inch pony. Our 33 inch stallion won several events at prelim level pulling the smart cart. We've even used it in the show ring behind Buddy, our big AMHR gelding. In fact, it was the Smart Cart that we used when our Buddy measured over at an event and had to compete with the ponies (as in Haflingers and Fjords and small Morgans) He had to pull the cart, two people and go at a faster rate of speed and he not only had no problem, he was second of 13 in the marathon phase. Do not be put off by the rumors of the weight being too much for the smaller horse. It is simply NOT true. The cart weighs 115. That is only a few pounds more than some of the others and quite a bit less than the meadowbrook that I used to compete with. One of our training carts weighs 130. Most are in the range of 110-120. The four wheel carts are considerably more weight and single horses are pulling them in competition all over this country. And yes, I know about the difference in weight distribution. Worry about the money; worry about your personal taste (as in; do I like the looks); worry about your horse's conditioning; but don't worry so much about the weight. Just my opinion, of course.

Dorothy

Thank you so much for your opinion Dorothy! Sometimes all the information avavilable can be almost overwhelming
default_laugh.png
! If I hadn't tried the Smartcart I would probably be happy with my EE cart , which as my husband has pointed out, has not been used much . That is about to change !

Thanks again ....Ann

One thing I should mention is that the aerocrown is only a single seat vehicle. I love the look of the smart cart and it can take a second person, my aerocrown can't do that since most of the time I will be tooling around the farm by myself I was ok with the single seat.. The mini bellcrown was also in the running of my cart choices because of the seat can take two, but it wasn't as comforatable for me without ordering it with a custom lowered seat. Had I been able to find a smart cart like you did to test the feel of it and how it rode I may have ended up with one of those, but the price plus shipping was a bit much for me. Carriage machine shop is not far from me and no shipping was a pretty good motivator. Someday when my meadowbrook sells I would like to get another cart with a seat that can take two for a drive. For now, love my aerocrown. There are so many options to weigh when cart shopping, enjoy!

I have a smart cart LOVE IT! It is a little more weight to it, but my 36 gelding pulls it fine. And like shorthorsemom said has room for 2 people. Drives like a dream. Very adjustable and the shafts come off. I have both marathon and curved shafts.

Good Luck in your search

Hi Ann, if you email contact Bill Schuil at Pacific Carriage he will send you photos and can provide contacts of people in your area that are using smart carts. He is very nice and answers all my questions and had given me quite a bit of information on the smart carts. They are really very nice carts. Good luck in your search and remember to post when you decide what to get!
default_saludando.gif

R Whiteman said:
The four wheel carts are considerably more weight and single horses are pulling them in competition all over this country.
To be fair, the large single B minis are pulling those in competition all over this country. Even the Tadpole is still a bit heavy for an A mini.
default_wink.png
On level ground in a parade or something, sure. But it's a bit much to ask them to pull in a CDE.

I think to me that's what it boils down to. Any sound horse in good condition is going to be able to pull something the approximate weight range of the Smart Cart, Aerocrown, etc. without too much problem but what about when they're out of shape or green or in deeper footing than they're used to? I would rather have a lighter cart or one I can pull parts off of like the Aerocrown to start with and then add those parts back on as the horse is ready for it. Each person has their own preferences though! IMO, and IMO ONLY, the Smart Cart does feel heavier than the Aerocrown both loaded and unloaded. It's more cumbersome on turns and really refined horses like my two (not saying that as a good thing necessarily) may have trouble with it. If I had a larger horse, a more solid small horse, or was a larger person myself I might prefer the Smart Cart over the Aerocrown because of it's impressive looks, great adjustability and nice features. Both are wonderful carts as are a variety of other models out there.

Leia

Thank you Leia! Your imput is always appreciated ! Folks are so helpful It is great to have experience's shared , so that I can hopefully make a good choice and only have to do it once <g>!

Ann

I have a friend who has a Smart Cart; it used to belong to another friend. I have driven it several times, always to 'small B sized' horses...35.5, 36". While I certainly agree that they are lovely, well-built carts, I found the basket 'depth' to be restrictive, even to my relatively short legs(I have 'shrunk' a bit, as happens when one ages; am now about 5'3 1/2"-5'4", with legs of 'average' length for that height). The cart's owner is noticably taller than I, so I would have thought it would be adjusted in a way that would have been 'roomier' for me?

I think Leia makes some good points; and, I do stand by my own feeling/opinion, which I've stated before, that while the Smart Cart may be OK for even an A-sized miniature when the horse is in very regular work and 'fit as a fiddle',that it *might* be a bit on the large/heavy side for the 'weekend', or occasional, driver, esp. if on challenging terrain/heavy ground, with a 'not-as-fit' or out-of-condition A-sized mini, and the whip is not sylphlike.

JMHO...as a miniature horse driver/trainer of 27 years' experience.

Margo

I have to say, Margo, that I am totally surprised that you didn't have enough leg room! Ron drives his smart cart quite comfortably and he is 6.3
default_new_shocked.gif
I am 5.4 and can actually lift the seat and move the floor out to the point where I literally can't get me feet on the floor.

And yes, Leia, you are right about the 4 wheelers. My personal opinion is that they are heavy even for the largest mini. I guess my point was that nobody ever questions that weight, but the smart cart which really weighs only 10 pounds more than a Jerald show cart, is constantly in question. And lest someone wonder over that statement, yes indeed I have been there when the carts were weighed.

Okay, I give up (said laughingly)

Dorothy

R Whiteman said:
And yes, Leia, you are right about the 4 wheelers. My personal opinion is that they are heavy even for the largest mini. I guess my point was that nobody ever questions that weight, but the smart cart which really weighs only 10 pounds more than a Jerald show cart, is constantly in question.
default_laugh.png
Nope, it was a good point Dorothy and I apologize for not giving it its due! You know me, I question the weight on EVERYTHING, definitely including the four-wheelers.
default_new_rofl.gif
I think sometimes it's easier for a horse in a four-wheeler to manage that weight as it turns far better, has brakes, the weight is never on the back, etc., and those things probably make a difference and might be enough of a trade-off to be worth the heavier weight on a straight line pull as the overall management of the vehicle is easier for the horse. You know all that so understand I say that for the "observers" here.

I've weighed every one of my vehicles and have found that the carts I judge light enough for any horse are the Hyperbike (37 lbs with add-ons), my Frontier (74 lbs if I recall right) and my Graber at either 74 or 76 lbs. (I can't recall which vehicle was which weight.) I don't have a Jerald so haven't weighed one but I know they are heavier than the Grabers although it's well-balanced and well-engineered weight with a better ride and is probably worth it if you can afford one. The Frontier is a rough ride and is definitely a training type cart but I enjoy using it on the beach and for green or out of shape horses because they can concentrate on learning their own balance and movement without being hampered by the cart and yet it's heavy enough to let them start building up some strength for the better vehicles. And of course I don't have to worry about keeping it nice!

Once you've gotten into speed work, rough terrain, hilly areas or anywhere with big rocks or roots or such to maybe flip you over, that Frontier becomes far less attractive as the weight sits up too high behind the horse on a narrow wheelbase and yes, it is actually too light (yes, I said it!
default_new_shocked.gif
) to remain stable with the way it's built. The Hyperbike weighs half as much but is both wide and low and engineered to flex as you hit obstacles and such so is FAR more stable over even the worst terrain. For work like that you want a cart with the weight centered low, which the Bellcrowns have and the Smart Cart certainly can if adjusted correctly.

I could go on and on here, but the point is that you must use the appropriate cart for the sort of work you are interested in pursuing. For a weekend driver I'd stick with a light, tough, take-a-beating training cart. For CDE work or a serious trail driver I'd be eyeing a cart with a low center of gravity, lowered draught, wide wheelbase and adjustable shafts. For shows, yet another type of cart. And remember that you can custom order most of those type of carts with the features of some of the others if it really matters to you! They make show carts with better suspension, a lower singletree, wooden wheels and other small changes that work great for ADS driving. You can upgrade your training cart in many small ways to make it better suited for more advanced events if you want to. And if you want a Smart Cart for a lighter horse, well, leave off some of the heavier features, ask for the wider axle and lowered singletree and set the cart so it rides low and close behind the horse!

Buy what suits YOU. The comfort of your animal and yourself is the only real concern here.

Leia

Having driven my "A" sized horses in both the Smart Cart and the Aerocrown, I can say there is a significant difference in how they pull between the two. It's not that they couldn't drive, and drive well! in the SC, it's just that they drive even better, with more ease, in the Aerocrown. I too love the SC, it is a beautiful and well-engineered cart! Certainly Ally never had any issue with it whatsoever. But Ally was a big mare. Flirty did fine in it too, but she absolutely SHINES with the Aerocrown.

The seat configuration is a big consideration. The Aerocrown is designed and built for a single person. I have a Jerald Runabout to use when I drive with my granddaughter on board.

It is definitely an individual thing, but I have to say having driven them both, I just prefer the way the Aerocrown works with my horses. I am actually considering selling my Tadpole, and buying a larger Aerocrown for my B-sized boy. The one I have fitted to my 33-36" horses is just a bit too small for him.

Thank you Amy, margo and Leia(again)

It's funny ( not really ) as I thought I new what I wanted and now am not sure
default_no.gif
. I wish I could see both of these in person but I live so far away from civilization that it isn't going to happen . Oh well, it gives me something to obcess about
default_biggrin.png

Thanks everyone for your help ....cheers...Ann

Having driven my "A" sized horses in both the Smart Cart and the Aerocrown, I can say there is a significant difference in how they pull between the two. It's not that they couldn't drive, and drive well! in the SC, it's just that they drive even better, with more ease, in the Aerocrown. I too love the SC, it is a beautiful and well-engineered cart! Certainly Ally never had any issue with it whatsoever. But Ally was a big mare. Flirty did fine in it too, but she absolutely SHINES with the Aerocrown.

The seat configuration is a big consideration. The Aerocrown is designed and built for a single person. I have a Jerald Runabout to use when I drive with my granddaughter on board.

It is definitely an individual thing, but I have to say having driven them both, I just prefer the way the Aerocrown works with my horses. I am actually considering selling my Tadpole, and buying a larger Aerocrown for my B-sized boy. The one I have fitted to my 33-36" horses is just a bit too small for him.
Newbie posting here, can be dangerous... LOL, but I have a new Aerocrown and I thought the base cart was the same size for A and B minis and the difference is in the shafts you can purchase and substitute out on the cart. I remember asking Steven about fitting my Aerocrown to my larger mini and he said if I couldn't make it level and wide enough by pivoting and moving these shafts in and out, I might have to purchse a second set of shafts for my bigger boy. The range of fit on the Aerocrown easily goes from 27-36 inch minis depending on the fit of the stock shafts. That said, it does take time to do all the adjustments and I would probably not switch one cart back and forth between my two boys on a regular basis, I think that would drive me crazy unless I could find a cool way to color code and mark the different settings for two different horses.

PS, my boy comes alive with the Aerocrown and he loves it a ton and so do I. I was using a meadowbrook and so we are really talking apples to oranges on fit, weight and style, but I am impressed with how he can move so freely in the aerocrown.

Latest posts

Back