Slicking down mane

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aliasmel

Reaction score
I plan to take my foals to a show in a few weeks and their manes are all over the place. How can I slick them down to make them look half presentable
default_smile.png

As you can see, they are quite fluffy at the moment.

1469836_10152462483396534_9100236086504655381_n.jpg

10931442_10152448688651534_2374108045066950237_n.jpg

There is lots of good info on the forum about taming manes. One thing that works is the hair iron for straightening. Kind of need to do it at the last minute, but it makes the mane lay over and look nice. Moisten with a spritz then use the ironer. Usually there are plugins at the show location.

Good luck with your handsome foals!

I always used the "old timey" method of combing out and braiding it down to train it to lay down. Combing it removes some of the extra fuzzy hair. Once it's trained to lay down (somewhat), I unbraid it and cover in warm, wet towels - also training it to lay down. The babies seem to enjoy the spa treatments and learned to stand still no matter how long it took to do...

The guy below, Rio, wasn't cleaned up for show but was just bathed and braided to train his mane to lay down. I didn't braid his forelock.

13aug23rio942h.jpg

This guy, Echo, has had his done a couple of times. I want to train his mane to the left side - hard to do as his wants to stay only to the right!! He is 14 months old in this pic. Again I hadn't done any trimming other than curry, brush, and trim w/ scissors...

14jun19ec583.jpg

Ultra hold hair gel is pretty cheap. Using a slinky after their bath will work wonders too.

I prefer Disneyhorse's method - and that's what I do. I'm really scared to braid a mane - too easy for a braid to get caught on something and then rip out a big chunk of hair...and possibly some skin, too.

My trouble isn't necessarily the untamed mane, but the overly fuzzy forlock. I don't show my horses just drive for fun. but when I harness him his forlock sticks up like a fluffy cotton ball. I know I can trim or pull the under hairs but not sure if its what I need to do. Also, my newest mini's mane was roached and he looks like a zebra with an overgrown mane as it is growing out. How long does it take for a mane to grow out?

Depends on the horse I have one mare we roached a couple times and it would grow like a weed! Within a month I had a full mane back. It would grow down to her chest. Then I have seen some that take a year to get good looking.

My appy mare has like no mane. I trimmed it and to my surprise it grew. So when I kept up with it, it looked good. But now I just leave it be:)

Latest posts

Back