SLEEP< SLEEP

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverdance

Reaction score
By this time I am sure that a lot of us are bleary eyed staring at the monitors. Our cubbards are bare as we do not want to take a chance and go grocery shopping.... There is this one mare of mine that just loves to lie down, only at night, after 9:00. I have the equipager, which goes off when they lay down. You can set it to stop beeping while they are laying down, but resets itself once they are up. I swear she must know that and likes to torment me. She will lay out flat long enough to set off the alarm, then she rolls over to her tummy, once the alarm is reset, she lays back out flat. Over and over and over...you get the picture.
default_wacko.png

When is she going to have that *&^%#& foal so I can get some sleep?

When I read the title I started to get excited thinking that you would let one of us come stay at your farm watching all of your horses so you could take a few days to get rest. I would have jumped at that opportunity a few years ago.

Maybe we should have an initiation program for newbies who want to raise and breed minis. They can come learn what it's all about by staying at our farms so we can get a vacation!

Wishing you a few winks of sleep tonight....

I've been lurking on mare stare at several of the mares forum members have said were "close" hoping to catch a birthing.....I have not bred mares for a couple yrs and like the "foal fiz". Soooo, since yours were not doing the deal, I checked more cams. At Fikes I noticed 4 stalls on the screen and then became interested in the two white mares who BOTH have huge black markings on their backs, like saddles......Hmmm, how neat, two "alike". One is laying comfortable and the other standing with butt to cam, viewer looking down. Others were moving a little and at 4AM I felt maybe something will happen. Sure enough, it DID!

Yep, the one mare had her black saddle spot move
default_new_shocked.gif
default_wacko.png
At first I thought it was late and I was not seeing well but, I watched and it in fact did move. Darn cats -- that's right, two big ole cats laying mid back of each mare.

Know what? Same deal tonight! Both have a cat sleeping on their back.
default_yes.gif
default_saludando.gif
So I'll go watch your mare......any cats in there?
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a few mares over the years that drove me crazy doing that - one in particular would lay down most of the night...and she always carried her foals an extra 3 weeks or so, just to top it off! I've had my Equipage for years and have NEVER been able to reset it like that. I can shut it off when they lay down but it beeps again in another 30 seconds.

Bess, funny about the cats! I'll have to tune in tonight and watch them lol. I have a couple of cats who hang around the foaling stalls when mares get close, but the mare I'm watching right now is not a fan of cats
default_smile.png

Jan

I understand your pain. We all get sort of punch drunk and wander around during the day in a daze.

How often did I sleep in my clothes sure that a particular mare would foal any minute and just get up (not that I slept much), and see that she is still pregnant after waking me up numerous times during the night with false alarms.

These are the times I am so happy I have Mare Stare so that in those brief moments I do fall asleep, I hope someone else is watching and awake and will let me know if there are any changes.

I console myself by reminding myself that it is a gravity thing and must come out sometime!
default_biggrin.png

At this point continual sleep is just a distant memory.

Like above I keep reminding myself that eventually they all foal and life goes back to normal
default_smile.png

Well, she did it again last night. The other mare I was watching foaled just before midnight last night. Gee, maybe I can get a little sleep now. No, of course not, she was worse last night then other nights.
default_no.gif

I am supposed to go to a seminar with Mike Rosauer on Sunday. Leaving Saturday to spend the night with a bunch of friends. I want to go!!!!! If I go, she will foal, if I do not go, she will not foal. PLEASE MARE......have your foal tonight!!

I'm sorry, I just have to chuckle and laugh when I hear stories like this
default_smile.png
And grin evilly when I'm paid $110/night to foal watch. All that could be avoided with a $2 test. Seriously, it shocks me people watch mares for more than a few days.

I'm sorry, I just have to chuckle and laugh when I hear stories like this
default_smile.png
And grin evilly when I'm paid $110/night to foal watch. All that could be avoided with a $2 test. Seriously, it shocks me people watch mares for more than a few days.

This mare that I am watching is a maiden mare, so it is just impossible to get much of anything out of her, let alone try and test the milk. My other two foals, I knew they were going the night they did. But, we have all been fooled with mares that did not seem ready at all, and they have foaled without me. I do not want to take the chance. So, thus the alarms.

Nathan my neighbor also runs a foaling facility and is pretty hi tech but even then we watch for days. Dang mares dont read the books or the test strips.

Last year Meadow showed not ready on the test strip and foaled 3 hours later.

I've used the test on almost 100 mares, and never watched one for more than two nights.
default_smile.png
Maidens included.

Castle Rock: I work for a Thoroughbred farm hauling mares to the breeding shed and foal watching 2-3 nights per week. The pay is low, but we make up for it in hours (since they're 12 hour shifts!) Its monotonous, and boring, and long, but its not hard. Hard part is staying awake :p No cameras, biggest piece of technology is my new LED flashlight, lol. Many vet clinics would be happy to take on a volunteer if you're bored!

Ya know KayKay, I've only seen two farms who used the test I suggest, NOT strips but titration. Every other barn I've worked at/been to uses Foal Alert (nobody used Breeders alert, still haven't seen that one) and/or cameras. That's why I try to encourage people to use it, and spread the word every time I can! There is no need to be sleepless, unless you have a big herd
default_smile.png

Just seems that foal alert/breeders alert, cameras, and pool strips are so much more popular! I think its one of those horseperson inertia things! lol

Nathan, I'd gladly pay you a couple hundred bucks for a few days........you could even watch from the house while lying on the coach. Let me know when you are ready to come to Pennsylvania.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back