Single horse homes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slaneyrose

Reaction score
what do you do when THE nicest new home wants one of your babies and is perfect in every way......BUT.............they dont have any other horses so your baby would be an only mini child??? Do you consider it if the baby is particulary independent or is it just a no-no right from the start?? If you have placed minis in single horse homes how did they get on???

Certainly I would and did, a little gelding lives in a very nice backyard on a lake and is THE horse and has the best home ever. Do your homework if everything feels right not having any other horses shouldn't stop you from placing one there. If they are first time horse owners I've found most will usually have dogs or cats so a vet will be in the picture, if no vet that means no preventative maintanence for the pets they already have which in turn means.....you don't get one of my horses. So if all else checks out don't let the only horse there scenario scare you.

For me it would also depend upon how bad I needed to move the horse. If there was a chance that in the future I may HAVE to sell in a hurry which might NOT result in as nice a home then I would let the horse go now.

Yes, I have done it. A mistake at an auction, didn't look at teeth and the 11 year old mini mare I bought was easily 30! I gave her to a friend with a huge back yard and very large Newfoundland. Horse and dog were best friends, would actually lie down next to each other and snooze in the sun. Horse would knock on the door when she wanted a treat, really lived a wonderful, happy life.

I does depend on the horse and situation as horses are herd animals and do need at the very least another animal for company.

Yes I would depending on the horse however.. It wouldnt really be a home I personally would consider for a weanling

I sold a 4 yr old to a home where he would live alone!

I still regret it! He is loved and cared for but lets face it most of the time he is alone......when I have seen him I think he looks VERY lonely! He ahd never lived alone before and he loved company! For me it was a mistake and I don't feel good about it.

However, some horses seem fairly contect alone but I always feel badly for them, just my experience!

Why not sell them two
default_wink.png
:

I think I'd consider it if everything else checked out to my liking at the place. I know when we bought our first mini he was alone from fall to spring of the following year and I didn't see that it affected him but we gave him lots of love and attention.

Joyce

I have done so as well. I have found either the buyers end up buying another mini(ie. they get bit by the mini bug) or that mini they bought loves his new home and all the attention that his new owner(s) spend on him!! In most, if not all cases, the buyers have had other animals on the farm, but the mini was the only one and kept separate, at least to start with.
default_yes.gif
:

How many folk do you know with just one? bet you within 12 months they are looking for another!
default_wub.png
:

I don't like keeping any horse on his own, It'd have to be a VERY special place indeed. Can't you lend them a pony to keep it company?

what do you do when THE nicest new home wants one of your babies and is perfect in every way......BUT.............they dont have any other horses so your baby would be an only mini child??? Do you consider it if the baby is particulary independent or is it just a no-no right from the start?? If you have placed minis in single horse homes how did they get on???
My first large horse was a single horse in my home... she got along fine and was very bonded to me. She was 4 when I got her.
default_wub.png
:

The only disadvantage might be is if your horse is a youngster and there is no older horse with whom he can interact like a horse with... he might try to "be a horse" with his new family (nipping, rearing... typical horse behavior) and one would hope all family members are wise enough to provide fair, consistent discipline ASAP to keep the youngster in his place.

The very independent foal might be one to challenge authority on all levels... a more sedate baby may let his humans be the boss... that depends on the horse.

If the horse will get lots of handling and if someone is home with him during the day, it may be perfect.

Just my humble 2 cents worth!
default_yes.gif
:

Denise

Silversong Farm

I think it's hard on any herd animal - including horses - to be alone. I might consider it for an adult horse if the circumstances were right and the horse had the personality to deal with being alone, but not for a weanling. I've turned down sales to otherwise good homes if they have no intentions of getting another horse. I've even offered to discount my price and find them an inexpensive pet quality mini as a companion - if they aren't willing to consider that, I figure that they are just not concerned enough about the well being of the horse for me to sell him to them. I know they'll just find a horse elsewhere, but I feel that I have a responsibility to provide the best home I can to my minis.

A weanling just doesn't have the maturity to emotionally deal with being alone or with a non-horse. I've seen young horses in well-meaning homes develop some serious behavior problems because they are alone all day w/out another horse to socialize with. That can make it hard for the horse to find a good home in the future if the owner decides to sell them.

I've turned down sales to otherwise good homes if they have no intentions of getting another horse. I've even offered to discount my price and find them an inexpensive pet quality mini as a companion - if they aren't willing to consider that, I figure that they are just not concerned enough about the well being of the horse for me to sell him to them. I know they'll just find a horse elsewhere, but I feel that I have a responsibility to provide the best home I can to my minis.

Ronaele, this is a very good point! I have never sold a horse to a non horse home before and was feeling torn about this one but you are right! If they dont care enough to have a cheaper pet (which I have offered) then its not a caring enough home. Thank you so much for helping me to see things clearly and remember why I originally made it my policy. :)

Certainly, I would.

Perhaps because of my "large-horse" background...I haven't the "gotta have two, whether I need them or not", thought.
default_yes.gif
:

I know MANY quarterhorses, morgans, and whatever...of larger breeds, which live alone; and survive quite well...better than many.
default_yes.gif
:

I have seen horses, whose owner's were told, "you must have at least two"...be forced to live with each other, never likeing each other...only tolerating, and being tolerated. Where's the sense in that? Then you have two, terribly miserable animals in a pasture, because the owner was told the horse would be miserable by himself... Then too, is the opposite; when they do get along, everytime you go riding or driving, or showing, the one which is left home alone will fret itself into a miserly little shell...running and screaming about in the pasture, only having you lock it in the barn if ever you want to use the horse you really wanted. :eek:

Myself, I have kept both singles, and multiples...and never imagined a seller, in effect, forcing me to buy a horse I didn't want, just to make them happy. :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

You know, I always hate it when this topic comes up, because someone always inadvertantly tells me I don't care enough about my animals.

You know, I always hate it when this topic comes up, because someone always inadvertantly tells me I don't care enough about my animals.
Not gonna get that from Me, for sure!!! :saludando:
default_wub.png
:

As you know...I even sold my very favorite horse in the World, to a single-horse home...on purpose. I so wanted him to get the love and attention he deserved, but wasn't getting here...due to the other horses I have to spend time with. Granted, Zeemer is no longer the one-n-only...but he was content being alone, and his owner definately bonded with him, like a magnet, IMHO, because he WAS the only horse she had.
default_wub.png
:

Certainly, I would.

Perhaps because of my "large-horse" background...I haven't the "gotta have two, whether I need them or not", thought.
default_yes.gif
:

I know MANY quarterhorses, morgans, and whatever...of larger breeds, which live alone; and survive quite well...better than many.
default_yes.gif
:

I have seen horses, whose owner's were told, "you must have at least two"...be forced to live with each other, never likeing each other...only tolerating, and being tolerated. Where's the sense in that? Then you have two, terribly miserable animals in a pasture, because the owner was told the horse would be miserable by himself... Then too, is the opposite; when they do get along, everytime you go riding or driving, or showing, the one which is left home alone will fret itself into a miserly little shell...running and screaming about in the pasture, only having you lock it in the barn if ever you want to use the horse you really wanted. :eek:

Myself, I have kept both singles, and multiples...and never imagined a seller, in effect, forcing me to buy a horse I didn't want, just to make them happy. :new_shocked: :new_shocked:
Perhaps coming from a "large-horse" background is why I feel much the same.

I bought my first horse 20 years ago (3 year old, greenbroke gelding), he was an only horse (his only buddy for a year was the neighbor's ram). He was just fine by himself; but he had also been low horse in the pecking order and came to me shortly after being run through a fence by his herdmates (I won't say what I thought of the seller). I did buy a second horse about a year later, that I was supposed to gain riding confidence on; we didn't get along, so that didn't work and he was sold. So my gelding was an only horse for several years; I didn't own a second horse for 6 years, but was boarding while in college, so he did have company, as I could only afford pasture board. (I'm now upto 5 full-size horses).

I fell in love and bought my first mini January 2005 (yearling colt); the seller tried to sell me another mini colt that had been in the same corral, but I just didn't like him and didn't want him. As I had 5 full-size horses, the mini colt wouldn't want for company (they have never purposely been turned out together), so I bought only the colt in January. Come April, I brought home my first filly; September I brought home the next filly and just this past February, I brought home filly number 3. So, my first colt didn't stay an only mini for long (althought he his seperate, as he's entire; but he's not alone, he can see "his" girls 24/7). [they really are like potato chips, it's hard to have just one - I plan to purchase one more, as soon as my APHA filly sells.]

Oh, I never get that attitude around home Sue, not here in big horse land thats for sure! I can attest that my horse was very happy and healthy as an only child. He doesn't even get along with other horses (he likes donkeys, but they don't like him so I didn't get him one of his own). he had toys, played witht he dogs, held long conferences with the bunnies, sunbathed and truely enjoyed his job as a harness horse. His behaviour was exactly the same wheter he was at home or a show or a boarding facility... as long as he wasn't in the same paddock or sharing a fenceline with another equine, or he was miserable. Does it make me a bad horse owner cause I never "caught the bug" and bought a second horse? Do I care any less about my single boy than other owners care about their herds? I don't think so, and I bet if you asked Sue she'd tell you the same things about my boy as I do. So absolutely a horse can not only survive but thrive in a single horse home. If you can have more than one, great but please, don't be so judgemental about those of us who choose to keep a single (yes, choose- technically I could have afforded two, but where would I find time to work and show two? And when I went to university, they both would have been sold, rather than having a lifelong home with myself).

I sold a weanling colt into a home with no other horses. They did have other pets. I did check things out and they wanted the colt for therapy work, they had a vet, a farrier and a knowledgable horse person all lined up for their new arrival. I felt being that he was going to be doing therapy work that it would be ok for him to think that he was a dog or a person instead of a horse
default_yes.gif
: They gelded him and have been thrilled with him. Check things out, if they seem really intent on giving the foal an incredible home then I would certainly consider it.

I won't sell one baby to a home without a companion. When I've felt it was a wonderful home I have allowed the buyers to "free lease" one of my other horses until they got a companion or in one case a lifetime lease.

Tammie

Definitely, a good home is most important. Chances are it will get more attention this way. If you think they are a perfect home...then they are likely just that. The important thing is to make sure that the new owners are educated or at least have some reference books (a nice gift for the first time mini owner). I wouldn't worry about just one horse - they tend to accumalate pretty fast!

Latest posts

Back