Silver Bays with darker than average manes or tails

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintedMeadows

Reaction score
I have a stallion here that was thought to be silver bay but now I am not so sure. Here he is last summer

newlevi.gif

I was looking at his mane the other day and it is sort of a smokey black/grey color with the light ends. His tail has silvery hairs, white hairs and then this smokey black/grey color. I would love to see some pictures for comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I cannot help you with pics, as my silver bays have had the lighter manes and tails, however, I just wanted to say, if you really want to know, you should consider testing this guy. He definately does not look like your typical silver bay. He almost looks as though he could carry creme?? What colors are his parents?? Can you post pics of them also?

bunnyhanna.jpg

bunnyjohn.jpg

This is Bunny, she was a great show horse and broodmare. I think she was a silver bay, or at least a silver something, as she more than once produced silver foals bred to very much non-silver stallions.

Sierra is a silver bay. She has a dark chocolately color mane and a silvery tail and forelock.

Summer coat (pic taken right after she was clipped)

PICT0205-2.jpg

Winter coat

SierraStand4.jpg

Now Sierra looks alot like Levi. That dark mane and everything. Levi is also a grey color when clipped out. Thanks so much. His mom is a silver dapple and dad in unknown as mom was bought at auction. I will have to see if I have a picture of his mom.

I found a picture of Levi's mom, Sally Lightfoot.

1cae9f0f.jpg

Last year she foaled a black/white pinto out of a silver dapple stallion. She, herself, is silver dapple.

I also found a picture of Levi after he was clipped. REALLY BAD clip job (my first time and he was REALLY hairy so please excuse.)
default_rolleyes.gif
:

levi.gif

Now, if he had the cream gene then wouldn't it show up on him? Or do you think he is smokey black or something? Whew, I wish I had a huge book full of miniature horse pictures in every color of the rainbow to refer too. I can dream! lol
default_pray.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back