Sick goat

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capall beag

Reaction score
York Beach, Maine originally from Ireland!
Just wondering!

I have an 11 month old whether.

We thought he might have mites and was treating him for that but after testing he does not have mites or lice.

The vet said he has a bacterial infection.

It looks like scaly, pussy, scabby stuff all around his eyes, a bit on his ears.

The vet told me to use this special shampoo every other day for 2 weeks. But I can't get it in his eyes :new_shocked:

Anyone who has tried to hold down a goat while shampooing around the eye knows this is not easy.

But it looks much worse and really painful.

I have a call into the vet but in the meantime, anyone ever had to deal with this.

The vet said antibiotics for goats can only be given by injection and that would mean daily vet trips at about $55 + a day ........not really possible with the vet ride being about 45 mins each way.

ANy help appreciated!

Possible ringworm? Goats are notorious for it. There is a powder they can be given orally (mixed w/ water of course) doggone begins with an F....fulvicin? I'll have to think. I bought a goat years ago and she got here covered in sores as you describe, we ended up having to put her down as she has other issues also.

I can't think what it might be other than ringworm either, and that is pretty distinctive. It appears in small circles, and despite the name is a fungal infection, not a parasite. Flipping quickly through my goat books I don't see anything there either.

If the goat needs antibiotics, will the vet sell you a bottle and you can inject him yourself? It is not hard to inject a goat i.m. and the bottle of antibiotics would likely be much cheaper than multiple payments of $55. for the vet to do it. Depending on the type of antibiotic, there are long acting ones available also that only need to be given every three days.

Good luck.

I have no clue what it could be. I too would ask to give the injection yourself, it is not difficult. I gave my goats injections before, you're going to want someone to help you though. Good luck, hope he's feeling better soon.

Latest posts

Back