Showmanship

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you wear in a showman ship class?
AMHA rulebooki says "Suitable clothes - hat, gloves, boots and long sleeved shirts/blouses or jacket are required."

I believe that AMHR says something very similar.

So if you're showing English, you should wear an English riding hat, gloves, english boots and a long sleeved shirt or jacket. The horse would then ben shown in a plain leather halter.

If you are showing Western, which most people do in AMHR, it would be a western hat, gloves, cowboy boots, and long sleeved shirt or jacket (much like the jacket you'd wear for halter). The horse would then be shown in a western halter probably with some silver on it. Although I've seen some people use the little arab halters that are used for halter class.

Last edited by a moderator:
what about for a fun show?

Even for a fun show, dress up! Showmanship is judged on the EXHIBITOR, not the horse! (Although your horse better be neat, too) You won't go wrong dressing to a "T" in a fun show. I used to show showmanship years ago and always dressed as if it were Nationals. I won pretty much all my classes....
default_wink.png

Lucy

Is a hat really nessessery? What about a nice tailored black suit , hair in a show bow, maybe a small scarf in the same color as the beads on the show halter, black shoes.... on those 100 degreese days, a hat and gloves would be really warm. And for showmanship can you chose wheather you want to look western or English? I am not a western girl, and I always wore the black pants white shirt, jacket , with a black horse.....Is this OK?

You must wear a hat and gloves or you will DQ or just get the gate. My son wont show in showmanship anymore because its so dang hot to wear all of that LOL

You could do English but here in the states I have only seen it once

Is a hat really nessessery? What about a nice tailored black suit , hair in a show bow, maybe a small scarf in the same color as the beads on the show halter, black shoes.... on those 100 degreese days, a hat and gloves would be really warm. And for showmanship can you chose wheather you want to look western or English? I am not a western girl, and I always wore the black pants white shirt, jacket , with a black horse.....Is this OK?
Hat, gloves, boots are required.

I've normally seen Western attire, but also seen English (velvet hunt cap, breeches/jods, tallboots/paddock boots, hunt coat, stock tie, stock pin, hair up or in braided pigtails) and Saddleseat (tailcoat jods, bowler/derby, hair in a bun)

The look you're suggesting isn't against the rules, per say, but it doesn't "conform" and don't expect to do well. Showmanship isn't just about your ability to present the horse. The judge is perfectly within their rights to penalize you based on your attire. I can tell you MANY moons ago when I actually showed in showmanship I did a similar look and was spoken to 2x about it not being appropriate. I also know both of those judges are still judging. ;)

I'd say it's probably safe to assume that any stock-breed carded judge (where Showmanship is very serious business) will be exceptionally conservative.

Most horses go in a Western show halter with chain regardless of how the handler is dressed.

To me, showmandship is very detail oriented, whcih means hat, gloves and all the little details. For example, you might use number pins instead of a clip for your number. Anything that shows that you went the extra mile - as long as it conforms to the rules - should be a plus if the judge knows anything about showmanship. At pinto shows where we keep our numbers, I even use a number I had specially embroidered. Those are the kind of extra details some judges will reward. I will be showing in my English attire - tall boots, breeches, helmet, gloves, jacket, and using a plain black halter - in Miniature English Showmanship at a Pinto show this weekend. And maybe I will use the number pins to hold my number...

Showmanship attire (Open, Breed show, Regionals) May wear something more "fancy" for Nationals.

Clean, neat, and attention to detail.

Hair in a bun, small post earings, gloves, shiny boots & halter.

jrprincess.jpg

...trying to find the GREAT pic of my other gelding with a youth in English attire...

Last edited by a moderator:
Lisa,

Thank you for the picture of the showmanship presentation. That's what a "complete" look is about. My daughter teaches showmanship to youth and adults. One thing she stresses to her pupils is about standing. Don't stand with your back arched backward. Stand up straight. Young ladies and some women stand with a very pronouced arch in their back and from a distance it really doesn't look good. Some thinks it helps in getting the attention of the judges.

Karen

Latest posts

Back