Showmanship / Halter question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farina

In Remembrance
Reaction score
I have competed in some local clubs at the Showmanship at Halter classes and I have run into one problem:

My mare won't stand still if there are new horses around her. It is really worse at the line-up and gets better in the pattern. How shall I correct her to stand still in the line-up?

I have worked her at home and she stands still. At the show in the warm up arena with lots of space there is no problem too. Do you think more practice and expirience at shows is the key?

Do you think more practice and expirience at shows is the key?
Yup.
default_yes.gif
Just got to go more places and experience more things.....

Get some people together or go a small local show even if big horses are there and enter the showmanship class just for an experience thing, and when she starts to wiggle, back her up a step or two or ten and then remind her to stand.Sure you blow the class, but the horse learns that she can't get away with stuff just because you are in the ring. I teach the word stand to my horses meaning don't move until I tell you to. I start them as babies, starting with just a few second then gradually increasing the time in stand. Most of mine drive and stand is a very functional word for driving.

Karen

Thanks for the advice you both!

We did blow a few classes so far... ;)

I did back up her to remind her to stand and in the afternoon I pulled her out of her stable (we stayed over night) and worked with her in the warm up arena. I hope it will make the trick (some time soon)...

Latest posts

Back