Showing trick?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hessel

Reaction score
I just went to my first mini show a few weeks ago, and there was a clear difference between the pros and the ones who had just polished Blossom a bit and off we go. What impressed me was the amount of training that had gone into making the horses perform and show off, and now I am curious as to what you teach your horse for the show-ring when showing in hand?

I have only seen danish conditions and know the horse has to stand perfectly still for a very long time in most american classes, but what do you use of tricks? All the little things that makes things run smooth in the ring.

The ones i noted was showing teeth on command (no idea how they taught him that, but I vant to know!), stepping back and into square when the handler steps forth, stretching and arching the neck on demand and an efficient call back when they had been shown in liberty. And of course staying with the handler in extended trot. What do you use or could recommend?

Practice makes perfect! Animals learn by repetition, so a little bit of training at home goes a long way. If the horse just stands out in a pasture, it won't know what to do in the show ring.

I'm just starting to train for the show ring and it's hard! Maybe it's because I'm training a yearling?

I have enough issues with her standing still and not fidgeting however I have started to incorporate some neck stretching and perked ears. That's even harder because she wants to move forward!

It is hard and does take perfect practice. .

Practice, practice, practice, start with simple things like walk, trot, whoa, stand. Then progress to offering a treat for an extended neck, don't give until ears are up. Give the horse room, don't stand too close. When practiceing for liberty, try to use the same song/music, give the horse a treat when called to your side, you can't do that in the ring, so progress to a pet. It will come, Just practice.

Latest posts

Back