Showing an injured horse?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckmini

Reaction score
My yearling show filly has a small (but fairly deep gash on her forehead)
default_sad.png
We are supposed to be leaving for Des Moines IA show on Friday morning, I want to still take her BUT will I be dismissed with an injured horse from a halter class? Taking her to the vet tomorrow just to get her flushed out good, (she had some blood in her nostril so I'm afraid the cut goes pretty deep, it's not big enough to warrent sutures but still want to keep it from getting infected) To show or not to show: that is the question.

Its just one show and she is a baby with years of showing ahead of her. Is it imperative to take her? If not then I would leave her at home to heal in comfort. I can't imagine getting a deep gash in my forehead and wanting to stand on a long trailer ride and you have to know she is not going to show at her best if she isn't feeling up to it.

I suppose it depends on how noticeable the gash is and how much it heals by show time.

When I was in college, I worked for an Arabian ranch/show barn, they had a horse run through a wire fence (may have been barbed wire, I can't remember). Anyway, he was on the show string and they carried a vet letter stating it was an injury due to running through a fence and not whip marks. [its been enough years, so I can't remember all the details, but I'm pretty sure he still placed in his under saddle classes.]

Just my opinion, but I would leave her home. 1 show can't be that important, at least she's got to have a major headache, tender and uncomfortable, and the worst is the risk of stressing her to the max for that one show, and the risk of infection.

Again just my opinion

Anne

Nope, not if it were my horse.

By tomorrow there is a chance that she will be swelled up and hurting even more and the vet will probably have her on meds. She might not show at her best for you anyhow. Tough break for you though, I feel for you. There will always be a next time. Good luck and best wishes.

Hi

I believe I would leave her at home to especially if she has blood in her nostrils. What does the Vet say?

I agree with the others......let her stay home this time.

1. There is no way she is going to be at her BEST when she's in discomfort.

2. There will always be a judge who may knock off points for the injury even though it isn't a conformation fault.

3. There is also the risk of infection taking her into a strange place.

Sorry to hear about your horse.
default_no.gif
My question is to everyone and sorry to ask this on this thread, is what about the $$$ you paid out to show? Do you get it back or do you just get screwed and get nothing and have to say its a waste of $$$ now? I mean if you pay out (example) $100 towards a show (stall entry, class fees) do you just forefit it, or can you either get it back or put it twards another show in the future with the same horse if same show personal?

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is to everyone and sorry to ask this on this thread, is what about the $$$ you paid out to show? Do you get it back or do you just get screwed and get nothing and have to say its a waste of $$$ now? I mean if you pay out (example) $100 towards a show (stall entry, class fees) do you just forefit it, or can you either get it back or put it twards another show in the future with the same horse if same show personal?
Mindy Lee-

If you have a vet's report that the horse is ill or injured, clubs will usually reimburse you for the entry fees. Same if the person planning on showing has become quite ill or injured- need a Drs statement. I have not heard of transferring the $ to another show.

Before making a decision talk to your vet. He is the one who will be actually looking at your horse and can determine how bad it is and if he feels she is in pain ect.

If he feels your horse is up to going then I sure would go ahead and go. If you are going anyway with other horses and she is paid I would take her with me even if the vet does not feel she is up to showing so that you can keep on eye on her and take care of her.

She should not be marked down in a halter class due to a scratch or cut

Most shows will reimburse if you have a note from the vet I agree with most if she were mine she would be staying home to be pampered until the injury heals. She is still a baby and has lots of time to show. Vet will tell you what to do. I know the disappointment and it shouldnt hurt her chances in the ring but if she were to pick up an infection at the show you would feel terrible I bet.

Gee Renee - do you need the show to qualify her for Nationals? If she is already qualified and she is young, I would suggest you leave her home. You don't know if she bumped her head really good or not. Vet check will tell you more about the injury.

I have seen horses show with cuts, etc. The only rule I know about that will DQ you is the blindness rule, a horse cannot be blind, it is confirmationally not correct.

Good luck in your decision process!

That was my thought, do you need this show to qualify for Nationals? If so then if the vet thinks its ok I would take her, if you not then I would leave her at home and get a note from vet to get your money back!!
default_yes.gif

Tough decision!! Good Luck!!

Last year Jet got cut at a show above the eye. We had the vet on staff staple it closed with about 5 staples. He went on to show and win the next day. The judge did ask what happened and we explained. Now if I thought Jet was stressed or not feeling well I would have scratched him but he was fine

Latest posts

Back