Show ponies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlearab

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to this fourm.. I've been on the miniature horse fourm for awhile. But I have always loved the shetlands.

I breed miniatures, and really prefer the class Bs. Most of my mares are 35-38" tall. I bet some are even over if I checked.. purchused them registered but never measured them myself.

I've been thinking allot this pass year of buying a shetland stallion to cross with my taller B mares.

Could anyone here give me any advice as to wheather this is a good idea??

If I do this what bloodlines would be best??

well i have my favorite shetland bloodlines and some cross better on certain miniatures then others. But it depends on what your mares are. Seth Thomas shetlands are smaller which might be good for you as your mares are pretty tall. YOu want to be sure you are producing foals that stay under 38 or else they will be grade since you cant put them in the shetland registry. Be sure the stallion is aspc/amhr or else you cant register foals.

Heres the bloodlines we are crossing

Seth Thomas

Michigan

Winks

JJ's Painted Apache

King lee (getitia)

Owsley Fork

Ill be posting new pics today of my aspc/amhr jr stallion at natinals. Ten L's Tigers Back in Black

[SIZE=14pt]Kay , she CAN put them into the new ASPR registry with asoc.... THey also have classes now at Lennies shows and the NY Regional shows etc. I think that is what she is talking about. So far all the show ponies I have seen have resembled the moderns and are probably modern shetland/hackney crosses.... they will have to make probably a separate halter division down the road for the more moderate looking ones...... If you are wanting to go that route with your big mares I would recomend a modern shetland for your stallion. to achieve that look. I have two stallions that are ASPC AMHR but are foundation. Sweet Tart is more modern looking than Breeze. Tart is a Michigan bred horse and Breeze is a Seth Thomas horse.[/SIZE]

E mail me if you want to talk this new division... I have some ideas too, but mine involve a welsh Shetland mix.... lol

Lyn

the poster will have to clarify. her other post says she wants a aspc/amhr stallion so I thought that was what she meant. LOL.

okay this is just my opinion and flame away but I would never breed for the ASPR or NSPR. Neither one has hardly any classes and just arent off the ground. If I had an oops breeding then yes I would do it. But i would never breed for it. I just dont think the aspr or nspr ponies are going to be easy to sell or bring good money.

lyn i just went and read the aspc site for aspr heres what it says

They can be of Shetland or Hackney breeding or a combination of the two. These larger, flashy ponies are especially suited to driving and draw a lot of attention in the show ring.

So are you sure you can cross shetland to amhr for this registry?? I know the site isnt very accurate so Im not sure either Maybe you are thinking NSPR but remember that one is NOT a breeding registry. It to show perfomance only and you cant even show them until they are 3.

I think there is a lot of confusion between the ASPR and NSPR because of the similarities in names and initials. As far as I know the NSPR will continue to be a performance only registry. So far there are very few animals registered. The few that I know of that are registered are all PtHA and the PtHA folks who have been crossing Shetlands to large horses for years are using it as another marketing tool.

The ASPR on the other hand is a breeding registry and as such has halter classes along with performance classes. The ASPR basically was the answer for closing the B division of the ASPC to new outcrosses and that is why it is Hackney, Sheltand, or Hackney/Shetland cross only.

Good Morning,

The ASPR (American Show Pony Registry) is also for those Modern's that have gone over their height limit of 46" but up to 48" with a 2" heel. Also, a Modern Pony CAN show as a ASPR (American Show Pony) at the same show if they also hold ASPR (American Show Pony Registry) papers. This is the ONLY division that can cross over at the same show.

For those of you that don't know Pam Flory of Michigan, she drives a Modern/Show Pony by the name of "Georgetown's Johny". This pony has won both divisions in shows across the North and have been featured in the "Journal". Pam and Johny both have won the Supreme Amateur Award in the Shetland Divsion of the ASPC/AMHR/ASPR Triple A Amateur program three years in a row. Give her and Johny a hand for being such a great team! The April 2005 & April 2006 Journal has stories on her and Johny in the Amateur section.

We have a brand new American Show Pony Committee, headed up by Ms. Mary Wahl of Tennessee. She and her committee will be meeting for the first time at the ASPC/AMHR Convention in Reno. I do know they are working on some additional classes that will be talked about at the convention and voted on for the Show Pony division.

For those of you interested in talking with Mary about the Show Pony division, she can be reached at 1-865-856-8805.

Karen Shaw

Latest posts

Back