shelter ideas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankee_minis

Reaction score
I've got a chain link dog kennel that is 12'x6' and 6' high with a door on each 6 foot end. I'm thinking I might put it in the paddock for a shelter, covering the walls and the top.

I don't really need shade (it's Maine and we have a tree in there), but shelter from heavy rains and winter. I have a barn but this particular paddock does not have a shelter and I want to shut it off temporarily. Usually I keep it open so they can access the run-in shelter and barn.

Has anyone used this and if so, how did you cover the top of it?

My BIL says put a 6"x6" on top of 12 foot sides and use that for the base of the top.

For the surface of the roof I was thinking of using a cattle panel (for a light-weight alternative to wood and to keep the tarp from sinking in) and a heavy duty tarp... at an angle or peak so I can brush off accumulated snow and the rain runs off.

Any problems with weight pushing out the sides? I can put it up against the cedar post fence to help hold it up if it would sag out...

I can't build a wooden shelter... I need to use what I already have...the cattle panel shelter didn't work...

Pictures would help :)

Thanks!!

I do not like chain link for horses. I have seen several horses with eyelids torn off by simply rubbing their heads on the fencing. Some people use it and haven't had a problem...Y-E-T...

The only way I would use chain link with a mini is with the wood slats that they use to fill in the holes - I have seen minis paw at the fence and get a foot caught - huge problem and you risk a broken leg. Also minis are notorious for rubbing, so you might need to run a hotwire to keep their furry little behinds off of it. For the money, I think you are better off building a little shed out of plywood and 4 x 4 posts - safer by a long run. One good vet bill and the "deal" you have with the kennel is pretty much wiped out.

Add me to the list of people who HATE chain link. Five horses with eyelid or eyeball injuries. Total of $3,000 in vet bills.

Andrea

I can't build a wooden shelter... I need to use what I already have...the cattle panel shelter didn't work...

Ok so you need a shelter for winter with stuff you already have, so let's put our thinking caps on.

How many horses need to use this shelter?

Ok so what kind of stuff do you have there you can use? And what kind of cattle panel shelter did you make and why didn't it work?

How about going on www.freecycle.org and craigslist and look around for some materials that could be useful?

You can use a 8' long camper top from a truck set up on 4 4X4's

You can make walls out of wood pallets, there's all kinds of stuff but the chain link pen is no good

I think we can come up with some ideas.

would there be anything wrong with hanging tarps on the chain link to keep the horses away from it? It would double as walls to block wind and rain as well wouldn't it?

Interesting... I was planning on covering one side anyway, but not both...

I could cover the first 48" on the inside side and I can cover the whole 6 feet on the outside.

The 48" is a 4x8 foot panel of light plywood. Easy enough to do.

The benefit of the kennel frame I guess is the good part... I'll ponder some more...

We did this one winter,we weren't planning on getting any and ended up with 3.We used osb to line the inside ,had metal attached to 2x4 to make a solid roof and then we also had a tarp over the top and sides.There was no exposed chain,this was used for the winter and in the spring we built a barn.

would there be anything wrong with hanging tarps on the chain link to keep the horses away from it? It would double as walls to block wind and rain as well wouldn't it?
I thought of that initially, but then had a mind picture of horses chowing down on the plastic tarp...all those long shreds of plastic...nope, not good.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are different gauges of chain link, and the chain link they use on the dog panels is very cheap and flimsy. Any rubbing, leaning or scratching on it- sitting on it to rub their butts, is going to stretch it and start tearing it apart. They just are not made very well. It would do in a pinch or emergency for a temporary thing, but as a permanent structure, I would find something more secure and durable.

I'll check out the gauge... this seems pretty dang thick...

Thanks everybody so far!

Could you remove the chain link from the frame and then cover the frame with plywood? You could even put the plywood up partway and use a canvas tarp on the top and partially on the side? Once the chainlink is off the frame look around and see what you can find to cover it..might be surprised at what you'll find!

Latest posts

Back