Sheath Cleaning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt73

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tricks to getting their stallions/geldings to drop (and stay dropped) so that you can clean their penises? I did Royal today and, like last time, he keeps it firmly up in him; so I can only clean in his sheath and a bit around his glans. His penis isn't filthy, but it's got some flakes and such on it that I'd like to get off. I'm currently teasing Lex and when they do breed (in the next day or two) I'd like him to be squeaky clean
default_wink.png

A tip about dropping I can't help with however cleaning it with a water based lubricant gel (like KY) can help moisten to get crusting away.

Plus it rinses off very easily.

I learned that tip from a friend of mine who collects stallions regularly.

Warm water and my vet uses a little Ace to get them to drop to clean them. Relaxes them. However, IF you just want to do in naturally. Patience and lots of warm water. Latex glove to grab better. Try to hold onto "gently" yet firm around the bottom base of it, IMO. Good Luck. Also, use some sheath cleaner but rinse well. My geldings and colt let me squirt up underneath them too and they like it. TJ

Although Acepromozine will cause horses to drop, I would NOT use it for sheath cleaning unless the horse is dangerous about it and really needs it done for a bean. It is DEFINITELY not recommended for stallions, because you can cause it to become permanantely dropped, requiring amputation... so you see that will not be advisable!

That said, I have cleaned thousands of sheaths and I will say VERY few will actually drop. Stallions often are dropped during the teasing process and when they are cleaned prior to entering the mare, but geldings often not so.

I have just practiced the art of "going up in there" which is to the elbows with a draft horse and mostly just fingers with the little guys.

Sorry there isn't a better answer, but I suggest going up in there. It's not that difficult and the majority of horses can be taught to tolerate it, if not enjoy it. It takes normal desensitization process.

Andrea

A tip about dropping I can't help with however cleaning it with a water based lubricant gel (like KY) can help moisten to get crusting away.

Plus it rinses off very easily.

I learned that tip from a friend of mine who collects stallions regularly.
default_smile.png
That's what I used this time.

Thanks for the replies
default_smile.png
I am very experienced with cleaning sheaths. I "get up in there" so to speak (almost my whole hand) lol. I clean around the penis head, but can't, obviously, get the whole shaft unless he's dropped. Most horses I've done in the past do eventually drop at least a bit, but Royal keeps it as far up there as he can. I do, of course, give it a quick clean off with warm water when he's excited and getting close to the mare when breeding. But I always like to do a bi-yearly, thorough cleaning up there. Royal tolerates everything very well. He just stands there and accepts everything
default_biggrin.png

for a quick job I have caught them with it down and I would quickly squirt some baby oil on there. Not a clean job but if you are needing a quick fix for a show, so that if he does drop while showing
frusty.gif
(has happened) it won't look so crusty!

But for the most part I just get up in there and clean it up. Some people even have resorted to the clicker training...but i don't have time to wait around and watch a horse pee then click a clicker and give them a cookie every time they pee!

Carla and Spike who says... *nothing is neater than having a clean pe (edited for content by Carla who is washing out spikes mouth with soap and sheath cleaning gel)

RATS!!! I was hoping someone had a magic trick for this! Molly's gelding Triple shows me how filthy he is, then sucks it up there with a snap! And then he SLAMS the door shut!

Many drop in morning at feed time but, often will not allow you to clean. I've found the most effective way is to bring a mare nearby, close to/just start of cycling, and have everything ready! Then, with a little teasing, a quick swipe with warm water, it's done!
default_biggrin.png
You have to be alert, as they do prance and dance but, it has been my best method.

I use Excalibur Sheath Cleaning Gel...it is really good stuff. My cremello yearling wouldnt drop...of course...so I just put a handful of the gel as far up in the sheath as I could, then used a piece of t-shirt material to wipe around in the sheath as good as I could, then rinsed with a hose. Later he drops (of course)...and it was clean as could be.

My big horses were never as 'shy' as my minis.

One thing about cleaning, sometimes may have to have the vet do it for you so he can give them something to relax them and check for a bean in the end of the penis. It can cause them problems urinating. Good to have that checked periodically.

This seems like a very personal subject
unsure.gif

we all have our "ways" dont we ?

I had a gelding that LOVED to have his sheath cleaned , and it was like peeling a sunburn for me... we were a perfect match
wub.gif

my new boys dont like strange hands down there...if you know what i mean...someone must have given them the speech about "strangers with pepermints".

I am at 1st base with Chico and Blanco , and have not gotten to first base yet with Willy the donkey. First base is a warm hand on the outer (what do you call it) his "pouch" . When he drops I give him a little touch so he gets use to the feeling. (its gotta feel better than a hoof) in about 2 seconds he is gone, back up into his shell. Its a slow process for us , being that he was wild and untouchable when I got him. I have 2 days off starting NOW, so Chico and I have 48 hours to get to know eachother better.... sorry Chesa, if your reading this , my vacation time is going to be spent on fondeling your horse
new_shocked.gif

I hate Excaliber. It is very hard to wash off, and can be very irritating if not completely cleaned off. I use plain ol water, with some KY or other sterile lube if needed. Acepromazine is fine to use on geldings, but absolutely avoid on stallions. Do not use soap often, it will cause a bacterial infection if used too much (it kills off the "good" bacteria, allowing the "bad" bacteria to take over).

For stallions its easy... tease them on a mare and use clean, warm water to wash them off. Nothing more
default_smile.png

I hate Excaliber. It is very hard to wash off, and can be very irritating if not completely cleaned off. I use plain ol water, with some KY or other sterile lube if needed. Acepromazine is fine to use on geldings, but absolutely avoid on stallions. Do not use soap often, it will cause a bacterial infection if used too much (it kills off the "good" bacteria, allowing the "bad" bacteria to take over).

For stallions its easy... tease them on a mare and use clean, warm water to wash them off. Nothing more
smile.gif
being that Nathan is a "male"... and seems to know this subject...I am going to follow his advice... nathan whats your take on the greab hold method? I think it a bit forward.
unsure.gif

LOL... hmm... interesting phrasing/question.

I (in a previous life) was a professional stallion handler/breeder... so I do have some experience to back up my "maleness" in regards to this subject matter, lol...

As far as the method... I generally use either teasing or drugs. I do like Ace. Other than that... its really hard. With a full sized boy, I've slathered a hand full of KY (almost an entire tube), and inserted my entire arm into the sheath to loosen up harder material, clean the fossa, and coat the shaft, all internally. Last time I did that it was with a 1800lb draft gelding though. And while it does work with smaller horses as well, I'd be very hesitant with a miniature. In an ideal world, you'd have warm water at your beck and call, and as soon as your boy has 4" or so out, you could gently grab it and hold, and have an assistant splash/cup warm water onto it. Then you can use your non-gripping hand to gently scrub off the smegma and clean the fossa. With just one person, no warm water... I'd keep a tube of KY handy, and slather up when you see him drop. Its tough! But the best option is acepromazine. Just remember that there is a (very small) risk of penile paralysis, which doesn't generally end well for his man-parts.

Also remember that its a normal part of training as a colt to handle all parts of their body... and I do mean ALL parts. The penis, testicles, and sheath are very important to be able to handle (and for mares, udder, teats, and under-tail area). Ideally your boy won't really object to you handling his sheath, and will tolerate you handling his penis. That makes it a lot easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
The difference between the largers vs the minis is the larger horses have baloney and the smaller have sausages
new_rofl.gif

Sorry I just had to put that there.

I took a hose and cut about 12 inches off and wrapped the cut end off in electrical tape really tight so that it is very very smooth. I am able to hold the hose end in my gloved hand and slip it into the sheath for a good rinse. Hot days my horse really didn't mind because it really cooled him off. I would try to find some way to get smaller rubber tubing *stretchy type* and rig it into a hose so that you can slip it gently up the sheath for a good rinse. One way would be to use a funnel and have someone pour the water into the funnel. You can use warm water that way too. It will be a very gentle pressure. Be sure to clean the hose really well before use because there is the chalky stuff they use for that type of tubing.

Carla and Spike who says *hey hey hey now careful down there with my sausage!*

Although Acepromozine will cause horses to drop, I would NOT use it for sheath cleaning unless the horse is dangerous about it and really needs it done for a bean. It is DEFINITELY not recommended for stallions, because you can cause it to become permanantely dropped, requiring amputation... so you see that will not be advisable!

That said, I have cleaned thousands of sheaths and I will say VERY few will actually drop. Stallions often are dropped during the teasing process and when they are cleaned prior to entering the mare, but geldings often not so.

I have just practiced the art of "going up in there" which is to the elbows with a draft horse and mostly just fingers with the little guys.

Sorry there isn't a better answer, but I suggest going up in there. It's not that difficult and the majority of horses can be taught to tolerate it, if not enjoy it. It takes normal desensitization process.

Andrea
OMG'D Andrea, YOU are so right!!!!! I read that and forgot all about STALLIONS!!!!! Derrr. I'm soooo glad you put that in there. I had forgot all about that. Thanks for being on the ball. TJ

Latest posts

Back