Shaving the head and neck

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Eowyn

Reaction score
Hello,

So for those of you who live in MN, you know that its been pretty crazy this year--world record of snow in April! But its jumping from winter to summer, and the horses are shedding like crazy! It was 12 degrees F last week, and this week its supposed to get up to 70! ikr? So I was wondering if It would be good to clip Éowyn? I'd probably only do her neck and head area because I'm don't want to go too far and make a mistake. She's starting to itch her neck down to the skin like she did last year. We had her checked out and she doesn't have lice, she's just trying to itch the other fur off but she keeps doing it in the same area. So would it be a good idea to clip her? Thanks! (Her first show is June first and I'm hoping shes fully shed out by then). Thanks again!

Im in upstate NY. Clipped my guy in the beginning of march, and blanketed heavily. I may add he's only ever outside a few hours per day when it's gross out, and he has a very nice warm stall the rest of the time. It hit 15 degrees the first week in April here. Whoops! He was happy as a clam bundled up in a hood (NOT a stretch hood, a home made quilted hood) and a thick blanket though. I left his legs until last week when the mud got so bad, his "feathers" were acting like sponges.

I think you should be fine to clip her all the way. Personally, if I were you I would do it all at once now, by June 1st, any "boo boos" you make will grow back, and her coat will all grow back the same length. If you just do her head and neck, by June 1st you will probably need to re-clip her entire body anyway. I know if it were 70 I wouldn't want to wear a thick fur coat! If she's uncomfortable and itchy, go ahead!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with FurstPlaceMiniatures. Do a full clip as long as you have a blanket if the nights are getting cool still. I clipped the head and neck of a gelding last year and then his body later and it took me all summer to finally get them to match. His head/neck were a different shade than his body lol, looked rather odd, glad he wasn't being shown.

Thanks for answering but I have a problem: I don't have a blanket for her
default_sad.png

Of course you can clip yourself. The first time might be a little less than perfect but you will want to practice anyway and she will probably need a second clipping before your show in June anyway. We all started somewhere and experience is learned not born in.
default_smile.png
The lack of a blanket would be a concern to me but I don't know your area and climate at all. Are saddle horses shed out around you? Do you know anyone else nearby who has mini experience, do they clip at these temps? Would you go out in a t-shirt at night , no jacket? All these are questions that can help you decide if she will get cold without her woolies or a blanket.

I'd wait.

I'm way down south from you and our weather is still very much insane. All I did so far was a couple of swipes under the belly, a couple up the neck and sides of the face. No more.

We've already hit 80 and are getting ready to drop back down into the 30's. Mine are shedding and rubbing too but I'm not taking that chance and end up having to blanket everyone or get anyone sick. I usually wait until mid-May.

I know I'm in the UK but I agree with Marty, I'd wait before doing any proper clipping. Again, like Marty a couple of swipes (good word that Marty!) down the neck, under the front legs and belly if you want for now. Also if you clip her out you will need not one, but several blankets to keep her comfortable with those temperatures - a good thick warm one for the nights/days, a second thinner one for putting under the first one if the temp really drops or to use on its own if the nights/days suddenly get warmer, then a good quality waterproof one for the day time, possibly a second one so you have a spare while you are drying the first wet one out. So you see that clipping early can be quite expensive!

And yes, in a lot of cases, to clip out the head and neck at this time of year can leave a 'different' shade of coat colour in this area well into the summer months (if not most of them!) in some horses

Okay Thank you for the info everyone. I think on Sunday if it does gave really warm like it says it will, I'm probably going to clip the area where shes itching down to her skin and hopefully she would itch in that area. I'll probably just get the really long parts like her cheeks etc.

Thanks again!! =)

Have you ever watched anyone clip a horse? For me, it was a huge help! If you don't have anyone local to show you the ropes, look for you tube videos.

I don't live in MN and haven't had the crazy weather some of you have, but I'll be doing full clips this weekend because we have a show the following Sunday. It's been cool here again so they'll all be blanketed afterwards at least overnight.

If you decide to clip make sure you buy good quality clippers, that's important - not any clippers will work (well).

I am in MD and our temps are high 70s / low 80s for a few days then back to 50s / 60s.. Some nights in the 30s -- very confused weather!!

My horses are a shedding and patchy mess. They don't know whether to keep their hair or shed out. I did do a rough head and neck clip on a couple and one is almost completely shed out smooth with the exception if some fluff that needs brushed out.

I don't plan to full body clip yet as I don't want to blanket / stall if needed and the weather is too unpredictable right now.

I will watch some youtube videos on clipping--there are no miniature horse people in the area XD

Where in MN are you? There are LOTS of mini people in MN! I agree with others, it's too soon to full clip. In the twin cities area we typically do not full clip until the end of May and even then they still need blankets at night. This is MN, invest in a nice heavy weight blanket for her regardless of when you clip, she will undoubtedly get cold one day/night.

I would not body clip ANY time of the year unless you have a blanket. What you might consider is clipping a bit off the chest, sides, and flanks, which is what they do for driving horses. It is called a trace clip (in many variations) because it generally follows the cart traces. That enables them to cool off but still stay warm if needed.

Now, our stallion has rubbed a good share of his hair off but he still has hair on his back and rump and did not seem cold when the temp dropped earlier this week. Horses do have a much wider "comfort" range than humans so don't assume that they are cold just because you are.

Trace clip sounds like a good idea. I wasn't planning on doing a full body clip anyway.

Thanks!

I use an 8 1/2 for heavy winter hair.

ETA: sometimes I get carried away on a trace clip and clip the belly hair. If it rains or snows they don't need that so much to stay warm.

So should I clip her belly too? Is it okay if I do the trace clip when I don't have a blanket for her on hand? Our weather forecast for the next ten days won't get any lower than 30 degrees F at night (which isn't too bad where we are cause thats warm for us right now) and the highest it will--or I should say should be is 74 (wow!) And in average its going to be around 50-60 degrees F. (warm zone! ;)) So do you think she'll be alright?

Thanks so much for all of the info.

And what is an 8 1/2 blade?

The blades that came with mine are; (USA)

1/8 (3mm)

1/4 (6 mm)

3/8 (10mm)

and 1/2 (13 mm)

Actually instead of trace, I think I might do the underbelly and neck clip?

Latest posts

Back