senior stallions..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowpaints

Reaction score
i have a 20 year old 32 inch tall stallion, that came to me thin, i have been feeding him beet pulp and alfalfa pellets, but i was wondering about adding senior to his diet. i have had his teeth checked, but they look good other than he is missing 4. i know that senior is a complete feed, and maybe that would help him gain some weight? i have had a fecal count done on him and the vet told me that its 'normal' that to just worm him like i have been.. does anyone else feed senior feed to their older stallions as a complete feed or should i try some weight gain? i would really like this guy to be around for a few years to sire a few foals for me.. any suggestions?

I have been feeding Nutrena Senior feed to my big horse ever since his first colic surgery in 1998 and he is still going strong at age 25 with only half his small intestines. Of course, it could be a coincidence that he looks so great, but I think the feed has something to do with it. My boy (gelding) is on pasture 24/7 and also gets hay with his complete senior feed. You might also try some oil, but I think the relatively high fat in the senior feed will help, along with pro-biotics and other good things.

Oh, I also feed the Senior feed to our young minis, as you will find that the things that make it good for seniors are also good for young horses (it is 14% protein).

I feed senior feed to all of my hard keepers and add rice bran oil to it as well which helps with weight gain. I soak it with their beet pulp when it gets colder so they don't expend so much energy breaking the food down.

Purina's Equine Senior is a good feed. It is a complete feed but don't hesitate to give him any hay. I would also keep giving him the beet pulp and soak it.

i will always keep hay infront of him, but want to put another 50-60lbs on him and keep that weight on him
default_smile.png

My 27 year old Buckeroo son lives on Just Purina equine Sr and does well on it. He can't eat any hay or alfalfa.,. He is a really good weight. and looks better now than a few years ago.

Latest posts

Back