Selling Criteria

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyarab

Reaction score
A question to all of those who are in the process of downsizing their herd. What is your criteria when deciding which horses to put up for sale. It is so hard when you have to down size as I know that my emotions really play into letting them go but there are times when you have to sell. Some of my criteria I will list below and would love to hear what others have to say.

1. How will he/she fit into my program

2. Can he/she be used in a lesson program

3. Are they being used right now

4. How much training will he/she need

5. Age

There are more but thought I would list a few. Like I said I know for me I have to really keep a check on my emotions.

I did that last year, and some more this year, it was hard, but all in all the relief of not having so many to care for was worth it. I'm not by any means a big farm, but I don't have a lot of time either with work, and my job can be draining, so I've been relieved to get down to five of my own horses.

My criteria along with the ones you mentioned were: how I got along with the horse-did we click, how easy they were to care for (we all know some horses are "higher maintainence" than others!)
default_wink.png
Temperament and how they got along with the way I do things here played a huge factor.

I also had time to find them all the right homes, and they have worked out great so far for their new owners!

One mare I decided to sell for several reasons but one of them because she had silent heats and it was labor intensive to take her into the stallion's pen to tease her every day to catch her heat cycles. She sold, but the buyer wanted her bred to my stallion, no problem, and then it was the first year she showed outward signs of heat, go figure!
default_rolleyes.gif

I have to downsize my herd this year. I have 45 horses and I want to get down to 25.

It is hard, as one is emotionally attached. The one that I first won everything with, or the one that is so affectionate. Anyway, I look at how they breed with my stallions. There are many really nice mares out there that may produce exceptionally well with one stallion and produce pigs with another.

I have gone over and over my mares trying to decide who to keep and who to sell.(I am still having a hard time deciding. One day I put them on the sale page, then a while later I take them off again Last year I sold 3 that I was not planning on selling, but I had people ask me if I would be willing to let them go and so I did. Then there were two that I almost sold and the sale fell through. I can not tell you how happy I was that that happened, as one of the mares yearling sons went on to win an AMHA World Championship.

Also, in my decision to sell two of my stallions I chose the two I have for sale, not because they do not produce well, but because they may have the same faults as another of my stallions and I do not need two sires with the same faults. As every horse has faults, this does not mean they are not good stallions.

I had doctor's orders to "Stop doing what you are doing!"

Well, I can't stop, but I am down to 16, of which 6 are weanlings.

My criteria was to sell whatever people were interested in buying.

On the horses that I preferred to keep I placed extra high prices on them and hoped it was high enough.

I am trying to have all our stock around 30 inches and under, and lots of colour diversity, while not sacrificing conformation..

My high price strategy didn't save the horse that was the basis for our program, so sadly he leaves for a new home in March.

I can hardly look at him without "tearing up".

We really need to downsize, life just sometimes makes some decisions for you.

Sooo I have listed some for sale and sold a couple I really would have liked to keep, because people asked about them.

When it's a "numbers" issue I find it is necessary if I am comfortable about the home to let the horse go.

It certainly hasn't been easy to let them go though. I have raised the ones who have sold and loved them from their beginning.

I am not downsizing, but opening up stalls in my barn for outside horses, one gelding went back to his previous owner yesterday...then i am going to keep three or four of my own in the barn to show next year, then filling in the stalls left with outside horses. Im more then willing to free lease out instead of sell, actually i dont want to sell any of the 3, so leasing is my preference on them.

Its mostly just horses that i just don't want to turn out to pasture but need the stalls in the barn at the same time..

For me there is not much to consider
default_laugh.png
I'm getting older and so are they! My farm was established years ago and I was one of the lucky ones who had good demand and good animals. Our show wins provided a waiting list of buyers -- the MARKET was alive and well!!!

When my husband became terminally ill, we did a dramatic downsize which gave ME two dramatic losses, my soulmate and much of my herd! As fate would have it, I kept several of my very best and have actually bought back some which were sold at that time (sales contracts and constant contacts helped this to happen)
default_wub.png
I have not gotten back into donkeys, which I miss, but that was my own decision for limiting myself.

I feel for each of you and KNOW the pain!! Unfortunately, the market is far, far, far more limited now than 10-15 yrs ago, when it was booming. I now have 43. Yep
default_new_shocked.gif
They are fed and loved, only occassionally bred.

The senior group are here for the duration. They took care of me when I needed them and I will do the same for them. There are several mid-age who do produce lovely foals, I just don't need to make more babies when I'm not ACTIVELY promoting, showing, etc. Shame, really, as they are quite correct and viable in their own right, as have been the foals. BUT, I see little need to just "produce more". I then have a "younger" group. A few select breedings I have done with the full intention of keeping them. Should I jump back into showing, I have animals on site to do this (and a 6.5 y/o grandaughter who may want to).

My downsizing will be mostly by attrition.

Those of you who are not so lucky, I suggest you first decide the numbers to keep that are best for YOU. Then, decide what you are ACTUALLY going to do with those left -- i.e. do you show, must you breed, etc. This second phase is quite critical for determining who/what/how you decide what to keep. Let's face it, if you are NOT showing (for whatever reason) you might consider re-homing the best to a farm that is, etc. Do you have an older one who is now a super loved pasture ornament? So maybe that one could be an "extra" -- leaving that last few years of life in a place that is familiar, loved and where they are cherished. Yeah, theres that EMOTION again.
default_laugh.png
default_wub.png
And, lastly, could the way in which you maintain them be changed to help ease your own efforts?

It's been years since I had 50 head brought into individual stalls each day!!! They are healthy and do very well with their run-ins. The stalls in the barn are there for foalings, or special needs, training, fitting, occassional outside breedings, etc. Sure helps with MY time -- the demands of their care are better handled and scheduled this way.

ADDED: I am NOT downsizing!! I'm only replying to what I did when I had to downsize. My herd will downsize as nature determines their time on Earth is over....I sell a FEW foals but, mainly only breed for ones I want to keep. Sold 3 in 6 yrs to great homes! Breeding for foals has become a seldom thing. LOL The stallions have complained a little but, understand.....well, adjust anyway !

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to downsize due to my heart attack and no medical insurance at the time. I am getting tired of showing after 40 odd years and now don't have the money to so am looking at my herd in a totally different way. I breed for pinto and have concentrated on my overo herd but have a couple really nice homozygous mares that I go back and forth on. Plus I have a homozygous stallion that I waffle about. Temperment is not an issue as I have hand picked all my horses and temperment has always been a priority for me in my broodmare band. My stallions can be a little spicy but darn well better behave when I tell them to.

I have 17 minis and have cut it down to 9 at the moment in my mind so need to sell 8 to get where I need to be. Most of what I have for sale are young stock that I have bred here that are very nice horses but I can replicate most of them. I had just got my broodmare band picked and up to a number to start producing nice foals when all this happened. I can't imagine myself without horses and babies so plan to reduce down the numbers, cut back on the breedings and maintain a small herd that we can just enjoy and only be a breeder.

We have discussed that we need to do things with the minis and just not let them stand in a pasture and feed them. I plan to spend time training my sale horses so people can start using them quicker and have a nice foundation on them. I must say that I rarely have people ask me what training they have had unless they are interested in driving, which I find a little odd.

I did that last year, and some more this year, it was hard, but all in all the relief of not having so many to care for was worth it. I'm not by any means a big farm, but I don't have a lot of time either with work, and my job can be draining, so I've been relieved to get down to five of my own horses.
My criteria along with the ones you mentioned were: how I got along with the horse-did we click, how easy they were to care for (we all know some horses are "higher maintainence" than others!)
default_wink.png
Temperament and how they got along with the way I do things here played a huge factor.

I also had time to find them all the right homes, and they have worked out great so far for their new owners!

One mare I decided to sell for several reasons but one of them because she had silent heats and it was labor intensive to take her into the stallion's pen to tease her every day to catch her heat cycles. She sold, but the buyer wanted her bred to my stallion, no problem, and then it was the first year she showed outward signs of heat, go figure!
default_rolleyes.gif
I sold 5 of mine over a period 10 days and it was hard but they did go to good homes and just selling those 5 was a relief. I am not a big farm either but 28 was just way to much for 1 person to do everyday as they all have their own stalls and it takes quite awhile to clean all the stalls every day along with feeding and the other maintenance work that goes along with that. Thanks for listing some of your criteria.

I have to downsize my herd this year. I have 45 horses and I want to get down to 25.
It is hard, as one is emotionally attached. The one that I first won everything with, or the one that is so affectionate. Anyway, I look at how they breed with my stallions. There are many really nice mares out there that may produce exceptionally well with one stallion and produce pigs with another.

I have gone over and over my mares trying to decide who to keep and who to sell.(I am still having a hard time deciding. One day I put them on the sale page, then a while later I take them off again Last year I sold 3 that I was not planning on selling, but I had people ask me if I would be willing to let them go and so I did. Then there were two that I almost sold and the sale fell through. I can not tell you how happy I was that that happened, as one of the mares yearling sons went on to win an AMHA World Championship.

Also, in my decision to sell two of my stallions I chose the two I have for sale, not because they do not produce well, but because they may have the same faults as another of my stallions and I do not need two sires with the same faults. As every horse has faults, this does not mean they are not good stallions.
Getting attached to them is so easy to do and letting go is so hard as I could justify keeping everyone I have but I have to be realistic and let some go. I have done the same thing that you have put them on the sales page and then remove them. You are absolute right there is not any horse that is perfect!
default_smile.png

Genie - So sorry to hear that the Dr. said to stop doing what your doing and I would be like you as I could not stop they are my therapy. At one time when I went thru a divorce I had to get rid of all my horses and was without them for 2 years. Every time I went to a show to see my friends I got so depressed as horses are in my soul so deep. I do the same thing on the ones I really want to keep I will place a high price on them but I do have one Arabian gelding that no money will buy him as he has been with me 16 years and he will die here. I feel your pain about the one you sold.

Anne - You hit the nail on the head there that sometimes life makes the decision for you. I know it is hard but when you have an interested party that will give the horse a good home sometimes you just have to sell.

Leeana - I am more like you as I am downsizing because I want to devote more time to a few of my personal ponies plus I am making room for outside horses. I've thought about leasing but just don't know if I can go there as I had a really bad situation regarding a lease one time so it made me gun shy. I guess if I did a lease they would have to be close and have very good references.

Bess - I feel your pain also and I am sure it is very hard to let some of the ones go that you've had for years. I have 1 miniature donkey and I really like him as he is so much fun and I plan on showing him next year. You are right the market is so limited right now and with the economy and feed going up it makes them harder to sell. I love to show and I wish you the best if you and your granddaughter go to the shows. For me I only have 1 breeding planned next year and that is my mini Jack to my mini mare and other than that I don't plan on any others anytime soon.

WCR - Sorry to hear about your heart attach and no medical insurance. I am like you I love the pinto's and you have some very nice ones. I agree with you on the temperament as that is so important and my stallions also have to be well behaved. A couple of my minis that I am not going to show I am going to teach them to do some tricks as people are drawn to them and if they do tricks they really seem to like that. I too am going to be putting some time on my sale horses. When I think about it I too have not had people ask what training they have had unless like you said it is for driving. I guess since I do alot of work with mine I do ask those questions of people when I have purchased in the past.

I've only had mini's for a few years and my breeding program is still in it's baby stages. Already I know there are 2 mares that I should sell because I don't like how they cross with my stallion. But the emotional attachment is hard for me to get around.
default_no.gif
The one mare is the absolute sweetest mare in the group and is an easy breeder and foaler. Thankfully I don't have to downsize. Part of that is because I keep a number in my head of the max number of minis I want to keep and when temptation arises(and it does a lot!!) I give myself a mental slap! The number is 10; that's my "base" herd and doesn't include young foals that would be for sale. I have 11 mini's now and 2 for sale. With the market as it is I've also cut down on the number of mares I breed...I'm now alternating mares so they're only bred every other year. This gives me around 2 foals a year and that's plenty!!
default_smile.png

Im very fortunate not to have to down size.

There is one mare I am offering for sale. Open or bred. Simply because she wants to just be a broodmare. She is double registered and I have a single registered stallion only. I feel she has a whole lot more to offer someone else who is seeking to breed double registered minis.

I am currently in the position to buy a couple and I have my eye on two.

I focus on Pinto Color preferably the overo pattern.

Basically with our horses they all have a price that my fiance and I have agreed upon. If someone makes an offer on any of them we look at that horse and talk it over. Some horses have a HUGE Price tag simply because it would take a huge price to replace them. Such as my stallion. Which I have only one.

We began downsizing initially because our breeding focus began to change. And if we were doing it purely as a business - without loving our horses, they would have all sold by now........ But our hearts are involved too.

I am reducing # a little to make room for some of our homebred foals that we want to keep. I have gradually cut my # over several years as costs of feed, vet bills, land taxes etc have gone up and now of course the economy is going down(not for long i hope and pray!) The horses i have left have already been through several cuts and are my favorites. So now i am choosing who to sell by if I have a foal out of that mare thats staying here. If I have a baby or 2 that I like things about better than the mom then i feel like she can go on and produce great foals for someone else. That said my wonderful leopard mare, Firewater, is in her mid to late 20s so I am happy to let her stay here for the duration. Of course it doesnt hurt that she still is having wonderful foals too.

And I do prefer to not breed tiny mares so any foals I have that will stay real small go right on my saleslist and plenty of people want them so thats good.

I am downsizing due to being pregnant. I chose 10 horses to sell out of the 27 I had. I had 21 minis, 1 pony, 4 arabians and a half QH. I kept the ones I really wanted to keep. Of the 10 I have for sale 1 is an arabian, 1 is the half QH, 1 is the pony and the rest are minis. Out of the 10 four are sale pending. They are 2 minis, the half QH and the arabian. One mini and the QH are already in their new homes and were purchased by people I know well so are on a payment plan. The other mini is not yet paid for but is supposed to be paid for and picked up after New Years. The other is the arabian who leaves tommorow and pending she passes her vet check she is sold. They are giving me a certified check tommorow for the full amount but I will not cash it until the vet check is done and she passes.

Good topic to read as we are new this past year into our mini's. I was told when we started that they multiply overnight because they are such great animals - and I would agree. However we still have our large horses also and I can't see me parting with them either so I hope to keep our mini herd smaller sized at this time - hard to do when I keep looking everywhere!! Right now we have 3 registered mares all are suppose to be bred; and 1 filly; and then we have 4 large horses. They are in seperate areas on our farm. I am always in awe when a farm speaks of having 25+ mini's - WOW that would be wonderful all those soft warm muzzles and high pitched winnies!!!! I feel/hear your emotions in the words that you have written regarding having to or deciding to downsize. Good luck.

I am only downsizeing because of no job. I would like to hang on to a couple but doubt that I will be able to.

When I picked the two I wanted to keep it was pretty easy.

I looked at age, show ability and personality.

I have two that are older, pushing 20. Didnt want them getting passed around but am willing to part with one if and only if the right home comes along. I wanted friendly, laid back and trust worthy as I have a baby on the way and I wanted a good horse for her to learn with. The two I picked to keep also are my best mares should I decide to have a foal again in the future.

I downsized due to economy. With my husband only bringing in 1/2 the money he used to I found it very hard to maintain a good farrier and provide the care that I believe they deserved. I already mentioned hoof care costed me close to $200/month plus feed, shavings for their stalls and vet care if needed. I wasn't a big farm but had 11 miniature horses and 2 full size horses at one time. I am now down to 2 miniature horses which I am going to possibly have to trade my little filly for another since she is the daughter of my National Champion stallion. My stallion is so well behaved as a stallion and I might get into a better situation financially this year and would hate to geld him and then decide I wanted to breed again. So the only thing left is either sell his daughter OR trade her. I actually want to at least have 3 so they aren't lonely and they have each other to run and play with.

Latest posts

Back