Seasonal Alopecia

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy appy

Reaction score
It seems that one of my miniatures has seasonal alopecia. What do you know about it? Anyone have a mini with it? I have the vet coming out this week to look at him. he has hair loss on his barrel, no broken skin, no scabs of any type. No itching. He is just really shedding quickly on his barrel.

I haven't experienced it, but is your horse outside in the sun a lot? When I was googling the problem, I found this about about increased sunlight exposure and melatonin treatments as a possible treatment that is getting good results.

"Some veterinarians recommend melatonin as a treatment for seasonal alopecia. Melatonin is a naturally-occurring biochemical used by the body to regulate circadian rhythms. Melatonin can shorten the hair loss episode and prevent recurrence, according to the District of Columbia Academy of Veterinary Medicine, which reports a 50 to 75 percent positive response rate to melatonin treatment. Melatonin, in oral form or injections, is given until your animal begins to grow healthy hair. Melatonin also is used to prevent or treat future occurrences of the condition. Some veterinarians prescribe oral melatonin and increased sunlight exposure to treat seasonal alopecia. Animals receiving treatment have varying degrees of success at growing new hair."

DVM360, an online veterinary magazine, cites lack of exposure to sunlight as the cause

Last edited:
My gelding loses his forelock every August. JUST his forelock! He'll have a gorgeous, long one all summer, and then come Nationals it's GONE! He has this POOF instead! Hard to braid a poof, I tell you!

Mine shed like beasts before they start bringing in a winter coat. If I'm suspicious of any skin issue I will bathe mine in betadine scrub. But actual alopecia? I don't know about that. Let us know what your vet says!

Latest posts

Back