Seal Bay Roan

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrazyHorses

Reaction score
Clipped off massive amounts of winter woolly hair from my little seal bay filly and it looks like she's going to be a seal bay roan. Very pretty dark chocolate face (w/ star) with light chocolate body, black points on legs, black mane and tail.

Mom is Silver Bay (chestnut) and Dad is Bay...

Where did the roan come from? I thought one parent had to be roan?

Is this a good color for a filly? What color stallion would you breed to? What would they produce?

Anyone with seal bay roans, please post pictures!
default_smile.png

Just because her body is lighter does not mean she is a roan. Remember too that clipping will show the undercoat so I am not surprised that she looks lighter on her body right now. The fact is one of her parents would have to be roan for her to be roan. A true roan has white hairs mixed in evenly with the normal color hairs on their body. Where are the pictures?

Just because her body is lighter does not mean she is a roan. Remember too that clipping will show the undercoat so I am not surprised that she looks lighter on her body right now. The fact is one of her parents would have to be roan for her to be roan. A true roan has white hairs mixed in evenly with the normal color hairs on their body. Where are the pictures?
What are the white hairs coming in on the seal bay if not roan?

I'm not finished trimming her. I had to stop. We were both tired. It was ALOT of hair!

I'll take pictures of her after I wash her up and finish trimming.

This is her Dad

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d48/Kraz...ounts002016.jpg

Just born

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d48/Kraz...ly/IMG_0035.jpg

Squeaky & her Mom

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d48/Kraz...ly/IMG_0041.jpg

Neither parent is a roan, so she can not be a roan.

She looks like she may have some smokey coloring in her coat, but typically when you first clip them down, they are lighter in the coat and will darken with each clipping job. As for her head being darker, that would be the smokey coloring coming through.

My guess is that she is going to be the same color as her sire.

You did not mention any white hairs in your first post. I would have to go with sabino causing a bit of roaning in that case. I see her dam has at least some white on her feet which is probably from the sabino gene based on the roaning your filly is now showing.

OK, Sabino roaning. I wasn't thinking Sabino because she has all black points on her legs. Her mom does have the white chin, hind socks and irregular blaze.

From another thread I understand that one blue eye means frame or splash.

I guess I'll have her tested for Sabino, LWO, Agouti...and cream just to satisfy myself.

She looked like a little buckskin when born and her sire looks sooty buckskin when not clipped.

Latest posts

Back