Safe toys for minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the warning! I will be sure to watch him the plug on my ball is recessed. I am going to maybe get one of those big one for horses maybe the middle one? He is only 28" so maybe even the small, I need to see how big the one I have is its perfect. Does anyone have experience with those hanging treat licks?

The “plug” on my ball was recessed too. Coco took about a nano-second to un-recess it. If I hadn’t been there, looking in the right direction at the right time, she could have swallowed the inflator valve.

I have no idea whether a horse swallowing a 2 inch piece of plastic is harmful. But, I’ve racked up some pretty impressive vet bills and heartache on other things so I am overly cautious and don’t want to risk deliberately introducing a problem.

I've bought several horse toys with limited luck, mostly they like to play with the feed dishes, but... I bought a jolly ball for my dog, she's passed, so it went back to the horses; they weren't thrilled with it, but its in my stallion's run and he sometimes plays with it. Then, I bought a Jolly Apple, they are hard plastic and meant to be hung up; first horse never touched it, when the next one moved into that run, I took it down and threw it on the ground, he loves it; pushes and it kicks it all over his run (the hard plastic makes a distinct noise when he's playing with it). I had to buy a new one this winter, not because the first was wrecked, but its lost in a snowbank, and I'm not shovelling that much snow (the jolly ball is in there too). Come spring he'll have two, and I can put one away for next winter's bury.

100_5975.jpgI have a very large Spirit ball that a few of the colts have loved. Most of them are either intimidated by it or just ignore it after an initial inspection but I had two or three colts who were just obsessed with it lol. I've tried milk jugs with a little grain in them, held their interest for a week or so. I now have an octagonal hard plastic toy in one stall - has a hole in it to insert treats, and my gelding does work it over to get the treats out. Jolly balls pretty much get ignored, except by the Pyrenees.
default_smile.png

Jan

Jolly balls loved by our horses, donkeys and dogs..the only thing the /Lab and Airedale pups cannot destroy..

Our horses and donkeys like the big ball, old hoses, hula hoops, and all the other things mentioned. Old bicycle tires last longer than hoops..Anything that is novel is fair game, though they all love the old boots Sam left in the barn. No laces, they each take a bit of the top and pull each other around.

I have one of the small balls supposed to be for horses or dogs. Well, the plug is gone and the first night my mare got her hoof stuck through the open loop (the one there so they can pick it up to toss). She wasn't hurt, just frustrated, but it did make me see that not all "horse" toys are safe.

Latest posts

Back