Safe Choice vs. Strategy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallin4minis

Reaction score
I have an 8 month old colt and am looking to change his feed. He was fed Horseman's Edge 14% but I think he needs a little more during his growing years.

Safe Choice is sold near my home and is cheaper -$8.65/bag where Strategy is sold 12 miles away and cost $10.50/bag.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Safe choice is 7 percent fat - Strategy is 6 percent.. I think they are pretty comparable... Also a purina rep told me just last week (they make the Platform feed for minis) that the new mini feed is equally comprable to Strategy

Last edited:
I'm a big Strategy fan. Less sugar by far, I top dress it with a 1/4 cup of Sunshine plus in winter. My Purina mill is closing next week. This is most upsetting as they are only 7 miles away but the Purina big wigs say "hobby farmers" don't bring in the money so they will close and move the stock to Middlebury center PA....that is over 50 miles from me. The owner of the mill has ordered me 5 bags (250lbs) of Strategy to at least get me thru the winter. Being no molasses it is a wonderful wintetime feed. I know some folks hate the fines but really they are minimal and when I get the end of the barrel I toss it out in the paddock. Personaly I'd go the 12 miles. Strategy costs me $9.50/50 lb bag.

I used to feed Stragedy and switched to SafeChoice. If you compare labels, not only is SafeChoice higher in fat (great for that halter finish), but also in various vitamins and minerals that you find in your everyday supplements. And while I noticed a beautiful bloom on my horses that were fed Stragedy, SafeChoice created an even more brilliant "bloom" in my opinion. Personally, I would feed the SafeChoice more bang for your buck!

Why don't you get the ingredient tags from both and compare them? That should help make your decision.

MA

I feed Strategy and really like it...I don't know anything about Safe Choice though..Strategy works really good for my horses and they IMO look great on it. For most horses, I don't add any supplements, just hay and free choice salt/mineral blocks.

I feed stragady also, to my big and little guys- but, am having a hard time finding out about how much to be feeding the minis.I think that I'm feeding too much.......my horses average175-200 lbs. any opions on the amounts?

Thanks for the input! I'm hoping the Platform mini feed will be available in my area soon. For now, I'll give Strategy a try. We're in day three of changing over and so far he seems to really like it. Thanks again
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back