Sadie update!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystalsowner

Reaction score
I got Sadie about 3 month ago. When we first got her she had ringworm and we think worms too. So she was not looking her best. Along with alot of dead gross hair. Even her mane had dead hair. So she had to get rid of the ringworm and worms, and alot of dead and winter hair. I knew shed be a cutie!! Sadly she did lose alot of her tail, that hasnt grown in yet. Sadie is about 28 inchs tall.

Two from before and two for now. What do you think about her weight? Someone the other day called her fat. I thought she looked good.

IMG_20140131_091854.jpg

IMG_20140131_091718.jpg

saddie 508.JPG

saddie 2 508.JPG

I can't tell for sure from these picture angles, I think its her build (a bit stockier style), but she could be a tad chunky, not too much, though.

I agree that pictures are often deceiving but in truth I would say she is perhaps a bit heavy. You might want to find a good set of pictures/descriptions explaining body weight and compare her. Look to where you can feel bone and where you find fat pads. Does she have a ridge of fat on her neck? Is her back flat or is there a indented crease down her spin? Is there fat around her tail head? How hard to you need to press to feel ribs? IMO a little fat is fine (sure beats being under weight) but too much is a health hazard. Good for you for helping restore her to good health.

I have a Sadie too! She's currently in the care of my nieces who are having a blast with her. She's taller, but she's built like your girl. Your Sadie looks a ton better than she used to, but I agree with the other posters that she's on the heavy side. Not much, but enough that even I'd cut her back. One should be able to feel the ribs without shoving a finger into the horse's side. :-D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both for being honest. I appreciate it. When she was gaining weight I was feeding her quite well. Think I need to cut back a little.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back