Rest in Peace

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevann

Reaction score
MY older mare who had Cushings (we treated her with liquid Pergolide for several years)W&LD's Tennessee Gal (GAL) crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan 11,2010.She was foaled in Tennessee on May 10,1987 and her breeder was Bill Dredge who was very active in early AMHA days.She was sired by Bond Chauncey and her dam was Wise Miniature Fancy Doll.She next went to NFC Farm in Texas and I was fortunate enough to be able to buy her in fall of 1990.She had been very lethargic for about 2 weeks, but still eating her senior feed well. On Tuesday she would not eat and the vet was called and he felt it was a mild impaction since she was passing manure.Oiled her -he left at 12:30 When I went to check on her at 2:30 she was down ,covered in sweat and couldn't get up.Vet came back and heart rate had gone from 44 to 90 and she was struggling to breathe.I looked in her eyes and the light and sparkle was gone.I knew what had to be done.She went very peacefully and is now running free.She was a very unusual mare-not very trusting of humans when she came in foal to live in Delaware.She foaled early and I just found her foal early 1 morning running out with mom and the 2 pygmy goats who had escaped from their pen.I had to just let her run into a stall and called the vet.She was like a 4 legged JAWS-I had to wait until the vet came to find out if we had a colt or filly(it was a colt)She was most protective of that baby.Fortunately she got better with each baby, but never really liked humans much.She just tolerated us.She was a funny mare to watch-she would have made out well in a wild herd.Before heated buckets here she would take her feet and break the ice in the muck bucets to get water.In very hot weather her favorite trick was standing with both feet in the muck bucets and splashing cool water on herself.She got along well with whatever mare you put her with in the pasture and she loved her babies.I had her for almost 21 years and she will be missed here especially by her pasture buddy, Fancy, who spent most of the morning calling for her.I'm just getting myself mentally prepared since I have mostly older horses with health issues 2 more with Cushings and 1 gelding with a melanoma on his rectum.Horses are such a long term committment,but I certainly have enjoyed them.

Gal must have been a real character. I have these startling visions of a 4 legged JAWS protecting her baby. So terribly sad for you but a least she is running free.

Our sympathy. She had quite a personality. Thank you for sharing her story
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry for your loss, but at least she lived a full and productive life and was well cared for until the end.

I have a mare with Cushings that I will be putting down this year. She has lost most of her eyesight over the past few months and has now developed laminitis. She is in foal and after her foal is weaned, then that tough decision will be made. It's never easy!

What a beautiful tribute for your girl...........Thank you for sharing it. She sounds like she was a very smart and very wonderful mare for you......We have had and still have a few of our own. It's never easy to say good bye.

Sorry for the loss. I have always had a soft spot for the horses that allow you into their space only on their terms. When they do finally trust you it is an awesome experience.

Bevann, I'm so sorry!!
default_sad.png

Gal was a lucky girl to have had suck a nice, long life with someone who loved, understood and appreciated her just the way she was!

{{{Hugs}}}

Bev, I am sorry to hear you lost your girl, I know it was a hard decision to make, but it was the right one. when the sparkle is gone you just know, now is the time. I wish it was as simple as that for some of us older folks. I didn't get to show last year because of the economy and I have missed seeing you. Hope you are well, and hopefully we can catch up this show season. Love to you, don't despare! Terry

I am so, so sorry for your loss... Bless you for taking care of her as you did - I had a Cushings/IR horse and there are so many health issues that seem to come up. Pergolide is wonderful and kept my mini alive for several years. It's a hard road, and I commend you for your care.

Edit to add - you mentioned she was struggling to breathe. That's what my mini had experienced on Pergolide. Unfortunately, one of the potential side effects is a burst heart valve, which was the case in my mare. Perhaps that was the case with your mare...regardless, you did the best you could and she was lucky to have you.

Again, I am so, so sorry...

Liz R.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all of you for your kind replies.It is difficult to go to the barn and not have her there, but time will make it easier.I just know that with so many seniors with issues I will be facing the same decision again very soon.I made the comment yesterday that maybe I should just have all the seniors put down together and grieve only once, But I know I won't do that.Each will let me when it's time to go.Thanks again

What a wonderful life you gave Gal. Thank you for sharing her story.

May you find comfort in your memories of her.

Charlotte

Back