Regimate

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klydesmom

Reaction score
Could someone please tell me how, when and why to use regimate...........Thank you

Do you mean Regumate? If so, it is progesterone to help a mare maintain pregnancy and other reproductive concerns. I don't know the dosage for minis off the top of my head, but you can only get it through your vet and is somewhat expensive. Please note that if you are a woman and administer it yourself, please wear gloves and be careful about not getting any on you at all. It will affect your own monthly cycle so I always ask a guy to administer it for me. Hope this helps.

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures/Renditions

It would be advisable to ask your vet about it. It has several uses, one of which is to hold PG's, but also to bring a mare in and perhaps others? The other responses are correct, it is expensive and it can effect a womans cycle. The dosage so far as I know is 1 cc per 100lb, but that is when I used it for the purpose I used it for. There is a specific way to start the dosage for them and also take them off of it depending on what you are using it for.

Good luck!

Beth

I have a yearling filly who is currently on Regumate, simply to STOP her having heat cycles. She is being shown this year, and on the morning of her first show she went into heat and it was NOT pleasant. So, she is on Regumate to STOP her heat cycles at the present time.

It can also affect a man if he doesn't wear gloves......

And I agree. You should discuss the usage with your vet. You can only get it through a vet anyway.

MA

If you want to use it to help the mare hold the pregnancy to term be aware that this does not always work.... We had a mare that even aborted while on regumate.

If you want to use it to help the mare hold the pregnancy to term be aware that this does not always work.... We had a mare that even aborted while on regumate.

I was told that I should use it to help this mare hold her pregnancy.She never came into heat until now ( I had to give her a shot)so I bred her yesterday.I will call my vet tomorrow..................Thanks

Regumate can also be prescribed for Male Horses.

We have a 4 year old gelding that was proud cut, and was turning into an absolute Evil Monster to the other horses. He was acting like a range stallion, and would not tolerate any of the other geldings in the pasture. He would viciously attack them, and was constantly hounding our 2 year old gelding. He viciously attacked our new little guy, with NO provocation, and was scaring me for their safety. He never tried to mount our little filly, just ignored her. We tried seperating him, but he still had that 'anger' in him all the time, and you could actually see and feel his frustration.

We talked to our Mini Vet, and he talked to the UofM Equine Division, and found out that Regumate can be safely used on Geldings to moderate Testosterone levels. We administer 1cc per 100 lbs, daily in his feed, and the difference in this horse is AMAZING! No side effects that we have seen, but our horse is acting like a true gelding now. He is back to the horse we know and love! It is expensive, but for us, it is well worth the cost!

Nancy
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
1cc per 100lbs is correct. I used pour a quantity into a glass jar (like a baby food jar) for easier handling and draw it up with a syringe (no needle) and deposit it in the mares mouth (holding her head up). Always wear rubber gloves. Should be given at the same time daily to keep the levels up.

I would average 2-3 cc per horse depending on the horses size. I had a beautiful mare, Brewer top and bottom. She would always abort two months before due. She did this three years in a row till I found out about Regumate. I would start her on the Regumate at 7 months and reduce the amount slowly over several days before her due date. Never lost a foal after that.

This has been several years ago, but a bottle then (I think a quart size?) was $150.00 and worth every penny. Do talk to your vet, although some don't believe in using it... (mine didn't,
default_wacko.png
: )They can advise you properly about dose and handling issues.

Good luck :saludando:

Latest posts

Back