Red Roan Show Horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcslc

Reaction score
I can't seem to find pictures of any true red roan show horses--darker red legs and heads, lighter body. I would like to see red roan horses conditioned for show; they don't have to be champion horses, but I'd like to see show-shape photos. I will be buying a red roan stallion who is quite out of shape and I'd like to have some inspiration on what to shoot for with his conditioning. Thanks! Cindy

HERE IS SF PEPPYS RED HOT A.K.A EDDIE. HE IS ONE OF JODY HOCH'S HOMEGROWNS
aktion033.gif
HE HAS THE DARK HEAD AND LEGS AND LIGHTER BODY...BUT, IN THIS PICTURE HE WAS CLIPPED DOWN PRETTY SHORT...SO, YOU CAN'T SEE HIS DARK POINTS ALL THAT WELL.
lisedtan.jpg

EDDIE IS NOW LIVING IN MICHIGAN WITH A LOVELY WOMAN...WHO ADORES HIM
biggrin.gif
THIS PHOTO WAS TAKEN AT THE WORLD SHOW IN 03

This is one of our stallions, Little Kings Dream Demon. He is not in show shape, as he's light about 25 lbs. He isn' groomed for a show either, this was a registration photo.

demon_web_06-05.jpg

Thank you for the pictures. Are red roans not real common or are they just not as desirable for showing and breeding? I guess part of that might just be an opinion.... I think these posted horses are beautiful--even if not in show condition!

True roans seem to be not all that common. In all the shows I've been to, I've rarely seen true roans. I think they are beautiful, and I love the "more unique" coloring on a superb horse.
smile.gif

I agree that roans are not that common. I have been trying to find a nice blue roan forever and never find any that I like.

That said I also dont think roans are that common for breeding(at least stallions) as they are so dominate.

Red and bay roans are more common than blue roans. Roans can be very classy but like all colors can vary in shade intensity. I love a deep, deep blue roan and a soft red roan, bays I like the color sharp and crisp.

The great thing about a more "unusual" color is that they can really set off a great horse. Color will also make a poor horse stand out but not in a good way.

Out of the 20 colts by mares bred to a roan we have six roan colts out of those six we only had two blue roans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back