Red Clover Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemonrockranch

Reaction score
Ok - first of all I apologize if this question has been asked a dozen times, but . . .

We've been given usage of a field for hay that has some red clover in it. At least I think that is what it is - the "flower" is kind of a purple color. Somebody set me straight if that is or isn't red clover.

Anyway, I read in one of my reference books that red clover is bad for minis, but it didn't say why. I thought it caused red bag delivery, but my husband said that was Fescue. I think he was right, but I honestly can't remember what red clover is all about.

Help oh wise ones!

Thanks - as always you guys are the best! :aktion033:

Cheryl

Red clover can present a problem for horses. Here is an excerpt from Horse Owner's Field Guide to Toxic Plants -- an excellent resource that all horse owners should have in their libraries.

Not all horses may respond to red clover to this degree, but best to know what the worst case scenario is.

Red clover poisoning causes salivation within 30 minutes of ingestion. Bloating, stiffness, diarrhea, blindness and abortion may occur. Horses may founder if allowed to eat on lush pastureland where the red clover thrives.

If the clover in hay becomes damp, causing it to become moldy (brown spots on the leaves) a fungal toxin, slaframine, is produced which causes severe salivation or slobbering.

What to do:

Remove the horse from the source of the red clover. Antihistamines may be of some benefit if given early. Rehydration of the animal may be necessary where severe salivation has occurred.

Robin C

Latest posts

Back