"RECYCLING" PETS....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
We obviously have a farm.......animals with acreage....Our friends and family know we love animals.

About 4 years ago a cowboy acquaintance of ours drove along side our second driveway with his truck and trailer. Without even asking, he opened up his trailer tackroom door and booted out a GOAT. It was a BUCK goat - half pygmy, half fainting..... The guy says he figured we would take him because otherwise he was destined for a "killer auction"... The goat's still here..... (sigh).... for now.

Last Easter a former foster daughter of ours (now 28 yrs old with a family) dropped in with a female 12 year old coonhound. They were going to send her off to be euthanized because she was making messes in their house.....She knew we'd take her........ The coonhound, Lucy, is STILL with us and she's a sweetie. All WE did was change her eating habits and she is able to wait for potty by morning.

Last week, the SAME former foster daughter brought a cat in a carrier. The little one year old fixed male just wasn't working out for them........Since I volunteer at the local NO KILL Shelter and am able to get a discount, she asked, can YOU turn him in??? what????? (Larry answered FOR me. Grrr.)

Larry drops everything for this girl, but I DO NOT. I am FURIOUS!!!! PETS ARE NOT RECYCLABLE!!!

We kept the kitty for a week and realized he wasn't going to work in OUR life situation.......He wanted to be outside most of the time, but we have a Great Horned Owl who perches just outside our door during the day and hunts at night. Our own cats know this. Fortunately we found a great new home for him about two miles away with some friends......Thank Heaven, because the Shelter is FULL!

This is just another example of peoples stupidity with pets.......Pick up a kitten or puppy on a WHIM and when the animal grows up and the fun is gone....DUMP 'EM. More often than not, the adult doing this has kids who are watching.......And so the cycle continues........much like child abuse, IMO!

Yep - farms can always use MORE animals right? We've been gifted with dogs, cats, and even a GOOSE!! A "Friend" had had purchased it at a 4-H auction and didnt' have any place to put it. Unfortunately, or fortunately, the goose disappeared after only 2 days.
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We have one of the last farms in our area. Lots of McMansions around us. We get tons of drop off cats and kittens. It is like draining the ocean trying to get them caught and neutered and released. We do our best, but I get so tired of people thinking because we have acres we can use some more "barn cats". The tame house cats have a hard time adjusting. We catch them and try to rehome the really tame ones.

We get drop off dogs too, very sad. I must say the best dog I ever owned was a black german shepherd somebody dumped here. We found him laying between two round bales like it was a dog house. He was the best dog I ever owned, but I wish those mean people could have seen us spend 2 weeks trying to catch him, several months training him and if they could see how he looked at all the cars going by waiting for "who ever" to come back and take him home.

We also get people asking us to take animals they don't want anymore, but none so bold as that goat drop off story.
wacko.gif

I don't get it from family very much because I'm very passionate about taking care and responsability, but strangers alot. I had a guy throw his cat out the window of his truck right in front of me!!!! In my front yard!!!! I was soooo furious! Poor cat! All he had to do was stop and talk to me, I would have taken him. Good ending though, he would not come to me but about 2 weeks later he followed a little girl down the street home and that was the end of it! His name is now Sebastion and has his own reclining chair in a heated work shop. Thats one great ending but it's hardley ever nice for those poor little guys and girls that get dumped. I could rant and rave about spay and neuter, about not buying a pet on a whim or as a gift, or about the responsability and long term commitment it takes to raise a pet! Argggg whats wrong with people, it makes me so mad. I see it every day that I work, it's so depressing and disapointing. The cat in my avatar was left in a box, duct taped shut, in from of my work in the middle of Feburary! One of MANY examples that I could tell you about....

It's not going to get better MA. Redmond just closed it's doors to taking cats. They have over 200 already that they need homes for. I think with the economy people have to spread their dollars in places other than having their animals fixed
default_sad.png

I get asked on a weekly basis if I'm intereseed in taking in free horses, big and small.

I work at TSC (Tractor Supply) and most customers know I have minis, so they automaticlly think I'll be interested in their minis too for free. It's crazy how many folks try to convince me into taking them or find someone who will. I do do my best when it comes to some if it sounds like it might be a perfect match for another customer who I know is looking for a particular mini, BUT not eveytime. I have found at least 2 dozen homes for mini horses in just the last 2 years and just one yesterday as well. I too ended up with a drop dead gorgous double reg buckskin mare this way too. See is in my avatar.

Otherwise I have found bunnys, cats, and puupys dropped off at my farm. I'm still waiting for the day I wake up and find horse in my yard as I do expect it to happen someday.

*** My dad saw on the news that folks are taking their unwanted horses to the U.P. of Michigan and turning horses loose in the wild. DNR said that their is now several large herds of demestic horses running free in the wilderness up there. The other problem is that they said they are finding A LOT of them dead from hanging themselves on trees from getting their halters stuck cause owners are turnning them loose with halters still on. DNR dose not want folks letting their horses loose but because they cant stop or catch everyone who dose (which if caught will be heavly fined), they say, if you do at least take the halter off!!!***

MindyLee -- That kind of stuff (about the horses being released with halters ON) makes me just a bit crazy!
default_torch.gif

Miniwhinny -- Glad we didn't bother taking our little fellow to Redmond, which is where the gal at the Ochoco Humane Society suggested. Instead, we found a home for him on our own.

Wish I knew what the answer was for this "UNLOADING SYNDROME"........Hey if we all received even a small "credit" on our taxes for every pet we owned, bet THAT would make people think twice......
default_wink.png

People have tried that on me, but it doesn't work so well--I refuse to take the animal. If someone dumps an animal out here then I will take it in, but anyone dumping an animal had better not let me see them doing it. If I get a vehicle description and/or license number I most certainly will report them.

But, when people try the "please will you take my kitty because otherwise I will have to euthanize her" I simply say well in that case you had better have her euthanized, because I already have too many cats & cannot take any more. And honestly, I DO have too many cats already, and every last one of them came here as a stray--either dumped by someone, or from a neighbor who wasn't bothering to feed his or her cats. If someone has a cat they cannot keep, that is their problem, not mine. Yes, I feel very bad for the kitty, but I am realistic and know that I cannot save all of the poor unwanted kitties in the country. So, once you give that response to someone, they don't bother to ask you again.

We don't have such a problem with dogs--in this area it is still quite easy to find a home for a dog, especially a dog that you are willing to give away for free--so in most cases (there are always exceptions) you don't get people dumping out dogs or puppies the way they do cats and kittens.

EVERYONE brings their animals to us because my grandma is a sucker for any animal baby, be it big or small. She just can't say no. 3 years ago she took a litter of 1 week orphaned kittens and bottle fed them until they were old enough and now they are part of our 30 or so barn cats (because at least once a month we get a new one dumped at the farm). 2 years ago she took in an orphaned BIG donkey and bottle fed him. The guy came to pick him up when he was weaned and the donkey laid his big ole head across my grandma's shoulder and the guy said "Aww I can't take him now, he's too attached to you". Last year my grandma raised an orphan foal (he was ours though) and then this year we rescued a little fawn from the side of the highway next to our house. She paid for all of his vet visits and bottle fed him. He's still with us, but we've been very careful about keeping his human contact to a minimum. We're hoping he'll fly the coop when he's ready. Oh and she now has 7 dogs because her sister continues to overbreed her dogs so when she can't sell a puppy she brings them to the farm
default_sad.png

I am also guilty of leaving her my kitty-I was forced to move out of my apartment into a new one that doesn't allow cats. I asked her first and I buy all of his food and litter. I am currently searching for a new apartment that allows cats.

When I'm done with all of this college business, and have all of my school loans paid off (which won't be for a long time, EEEK!) I would really like to open up an Equine rescue and rehabilitation. Just gotta find my sugar daddy
default_wink.png
(kidding, of course!)

In the 5 years I've been here I've had 3 "stray" dumped dogs and know neighbors who have some too. People don't necessarily pick my farm to leave them at but this seems to be a popular area to take them to when they no longer want them.

So far the craziest dump I've received was the rooster. He stayed around for awhile until he got too aggressive with a new pup my husband brought home (and that was an arguement subject!). I gave him a good swift kick one afternoon and the next morning he was gone. Two dogs so far, and if there have been any cats they haven't stayed long enough for us to see them. Occasionally we wake up to the neighbor's cows in the front yard but they always come to collect them.

No one dumps anything around here that I know of but then, with all the predators we have around here they would get eaten.

Old farm though.. people like dumping their cats, so I took them to the Shelter, until the shelter wanted to charge me. Guess they thought I was buying cats and dumping them there or some such.
default_rolleyes.gif
Of course they won't listen.

I love my animals a lot, more than I can express in words. But I will find them good homes, if I can not take them with me for a move or for some reason can't keep them at the level of care I think they need. Am very picky about the homes they go too and so far I have been lucky.

During the dark times here, I was lucky to have lots of grass for the horses and Ella, had stocked up two years worth of wormer and so on, this allowed me to be able to keep them when there was no money coming in.

Most people in those kind of direr straights, have to give up their animals or have them go without food,just like the people part of the family.

Yes.. there are some people that dump animals.. because they decide they are too much to care for, they don't work out or what ever. That is wrong. They should at least try to find a good home for them.

Then there are the ones that never get an Pet fixed..and end up dumping the kittens and puppies on farms, sides of roads or the lucky ones, at a no kill shelter.

I have three fixed cats, and as much as I feel bad about all those kittens and cats at the shelters, I wouldn't want to bring another home. Caring for them properly isn't cheap.

Same with the horses. My last rescue horse is still here, and after her, I won't take another on. Besides the months and months of work and care to get her healthy, she drained my colic fund of over $6,000. She is an older mare and the many years of negeltic and health problems are hard to cure. Glad I have an excellent Vet. And I have said NO many times since this last rescue.

Have three chickens and down to one duck.

I had to find Ella a good home.. Thank you MA! And Theia one too because I thought the lady we talked to was going to Lease us her farm. But She backed out at the last minute.
default_no.gif
So maybe this next spring will get to move, but would have the same issue. Can only afford to take what I have now.

Know a number of people that had to find good homes for their pets, when they lost their jobs. Sometimes, it is a heart breaking choice.

But it is better than, than watch them starve, when the family ends up homeless.

Shari,

There is a vast difference between RE-HOMING your pet and dumping, in my opinion. We've had to re-home some over the years too.

I guess I'm just frustrated over certain people I know who constantly get a new animal and within a short period of time find something wrong and want to get rid of it........One person I'm thinking of has only kept ONE animal out of over A DOZEN long enough to see it into old age.
default_wacko.png

BTW, Ella is doing great.....and everyone who visits LOVES her.

People drive by where I live and throw kittens out the window! I know, I've seen them! I also know because of how many very young kittens I've found on my front porch. There is NO way a kitten that young has found it's way to my front porch...I'm not near anything! A young kit isn't going to walk 1/2 mile from it's momma.

I have never sought out a cat for my barn. I do have, however, ELEVEN currently. And every single one of them has been spayed or nuetered. And I paid for it out of my own pocket! Fortunately, there is a Sterile Feral program here so I only have to pay $25 per cat, but still I've done it 11 times. Add that to the pounds of cat food I go through each week, the annual shots and tick/flea preventative and it really adds up! Sure they help with varmit control, but eleven???

In the 7 years I've lived at this farm, I know I've had over 10 dogs minimun dropped off for me to take care of. I've had to find homes with friends, one daschund is with my sister, or with neighbors. It's not easy, but like every where else, the shelters are full. We even had one neighbor get evicted and they left their 2 goats behind! They were destroying the neighborhood until my farrier rounded them up and took them home.

So far, I've not had anyone drop off a horse, but I know that day is coming.

I'm going to be moving soon and the property next to my new place is a 300 acre quarter horse farm. They told me they have had probably 10 horses (that they know were NOT theirs) just "show up" in their pastures. Since their place is so large, when they take their daily rides to check on all the horses, they now also have to look for visitors.

It's a sad situation all around - no matter where you live. Some people are choosing to dump their animals, others have had their financial status change dramatically and it's all they can do to care for their children, so they try to do the right thing and take their animal to a shelter, but so many shelters are full. So what are they to do? I'm not condoning dumping at all, but I can see how my new neighbors have aquired "new" horses.

I don't know for sure, but I think here in MO if you call the ASPCA and say you can no longer care for your animals and you sign them over, they will take them. But not everyone knows that I guess.

Such a depressing subject. Like those poor horses turned loose with their halters on.

Shari,

There is a vast difference between RE-HOMING your pet and dumping, in my opinion. We've had to re-home some over the years too.

I guess I'm just frustrated over certain people I know who constantly get a new animal and within a short period of time find something wrong and want to get rid of it........One person I'm thinking of has only kept ONE animal out of over A DOZEN long enough to see it into old age.
default_wacko.png

BTW, Ella is doing great.....and everyone who visits LOVES her.

I still feel like a heel...sigh ~~

Very glad Ella has a wonderful home, bet she is in heaven with all the attention.
default_wub.png

That sounds horrible.. the person you are talking about. Not fair to the animals.
default_no.gif
To bad there are so many people out there like them.

Latest posts

Back