receiving papers from seller

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuzE

Reaction score
Just wondering what you all feel is a reasonable time to have to wait for papers? It has been almost 6 weeks now since she has been paid for and 1 month since I have had her and no papers yet! I don't want to be impatient but I don't even get a response to my e-mails and the agent is of no help whatsoever. The mare is in the sellers name so not sure where the problem lies. I guess I don't want to come across as a jerk if I am just being impatient. What do you all think?

Just based on the brief facts you've stated, I'm thinking you should have the papers by now. It's probably time to step up the pressure and maybe call the office. Don't know if it would help, but you can try it. Good luck!

IMO you should have the papers already. I've usually received papers with the horse assuming it's paid for in full at time of delivery--seller hands them over upon pick up/delivery of the horse, or if the horse is sent with a professional hauler (depending on which hauler it is) the papers get sent with the driver. If the driver doesn't want to be bothered delivering paperwork then the papers get mailed out as soon as the horse is in transit. Obviously if the seller is sending the transfer in to the registry it will take longer to get the paperwork, but I find that's rare in Miniatures--it's usually the buyer's responsibility to get the transfer processed.

I send the papers with the horse so long as it has been paid for in full.

I am, however, notoriously bad with paper work and if it was a foal that I had not yet registered you could easily wait this long for papers that were all above board- I just never do today what I can......oh you know!!

Send a registered letter explaining your worry at the whole "no answer" thing- her e-mail may be down, she could have been out of the office- a sick foal, whatever, so I do think, although I feel you are justified to get a little cross, there could be a reasonable explanation.

I was out for three days last week and had 5 calls on my phone from the same person- he was getting quite frustrated, I could tell, so I see both sides.

I have to ask- do you have a CONTRACT??????

Well, I've been waiting 10 months for the previous owner of my stallion to fix her paperwork problem! I didn't know about the problem until after I paid for him in full and he was delivered. It's taken numerous emails, getting the breeder involved and now I threatened a lawsuit (over other things also, just not the papers)......but finally, she's stepping up to the plate and doing something.

Good luck, I've learned alot of lessons in the little while I've owned Mini's and I thought big horse people were bad...... before anyone jumps on me - I KNOW there are good breeders out there, I've met some just recently.

This is the thing that really "chaps my hide"! I KNOW paperwork is a pain in the butt...but seriously when you are selling a horse it needs to be handled properly. If the horse is a lifer-do the paperwork, dont do it, who cares! I am a fanatic about getting my papers since I have had several BAD experiences so I would be definately stepping it up a notch. The no reply so far would put me over the edge!! I would try a firm but professional email AND phone call/message foloowed by a registered letter. Usually that wakes them up. SOmetimes if you are too much the nive guy you enable them to be lazy about it!! Good Luck

When I've bought new horses, I've waited as long as it takes the shipper to hand the papers to me.

Is there an explaination for the delay? I think you should expect the papers when you have paid for the horse.

I demand them within minutes after paying the money and picking up the horse. Its my horse, ALL of it comes at the same time in exchange for the payment.

Papers should be mailed to the buyer as soon as the check clears the bank. If the last payment is made in cash then the papers should be handed to the buyer right then............... If there is a problem the seller should have let you in on it from the get go!

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure do understand your frustration in not getting the papers right away. Sort of ironic that sellers want their money right away but don't think the buyers deserve the papers right away. I really appreciate the seller who thinks their buyers are important enough to take care of things pretaining to the horse sold. If sellers don't have the time or will to get papers out right away to the buyer then they shouldn't be selling horses. I really value a seller who treats the buyer right and part of that right is seeing that the papers are given as soon as payment is made. JMHO Mary

Several are jumping to the conclusion here that the seller is at fault. THEY MAY BE, but we don't have that information. If the buyer is not a member of AMHR, the seller MAY have sent in the papers for them and it can easily take this long. I don't know if that is the case or not, but give it consideration.

IF the buyer has paid in full in CASH, the papers should be produce immediately, or (if the seller agrees to do so) be sent in for transfer immediately. IF the buyer pays by check, it is reasonable to wait a couple of weeks for the check to clear. The papers should then be mailed. IF there is an unpaid boarding fee, the seller has every right to hold the papers until boarding is paid as well.

As Jane asked, "is there a contract?"

Several are jumping to the conclusion here that the seller is at fault. THEY MAY BE, but we don't have that information. If the buyer is not a member of AMHR, the seller MAY have sent in the papers for them and it can easily take this long. I don't know if that is the case or not, but give it consideration.
True, and I did mention that in my post--I actually did that for one non-member buyer, but at the same time, I told that buyer that I would send in the papers (and she paid me the transfer fee in addition to the price of the horse)--I told her when I mailed the papers of to AMHR, I let her know when they came back to me & I mailed them on to her--there was a delay, but she was fully aware of why there was a delay.

If the seller in this case has sent the papers in to the registry to have the transfer processed, it would be nice if he/she took the time to advise the buyer of that

IF the buyer has paid in full in CASH, the papers should be produce immediately, or (if the seller agrees to do so) be sent in for transfer immediately. IF the buyer pays by check, it is reasonable to wait a couple of weeks for the check to clear.
Since in this case buyer says she made her last payment 6 weeks ago & has had possession of the horse for a month, check clearing should no longer be an issue.

Don't see the need for all the hub-bub.

1. You pick up the phone

2. You go "Dude, where's my car.......er, excuse.......where's my papers?"

3. Recieve immediate answer

4. End of story

and Best Wishes to you!

:saludando:

Perhaps the problem may be that there is an "agent" involved. If possible I'd make sure the actual owner has received the payment and it isn't stalled by the middle-person!

MA

Suzi, perhaps you can call the registry/registries that this mare is registered in and find out what the hold up is...

As long as you have the registered name of the horse, and the registry it is registered in, it is possible to find out what is going on with the paperwork..
default_yes.gif
:

If it is AMHA or AMHR, it is a well known phone # and you can get it from anyone.

Latest posts

Back