Re recent info on snake bites

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickie gee

Reaction score
If you missed the recent forum on snake bites it was most helpful on prevention and treatment. Worth going back to the original thread. I went to Home Depot and purchased some tubing that is 3/8" inside diameter and hard enough not to collapse inside the nostrils. It came in a 10' roll so I will no doubt be cutting it into the suggested 8" sections and fire searing the ends as explained in the article. Will have plenty left to share with some of the other owners in my area. Also, as far as what draws snakes this time of the year in addition to water containers, shade, etc. I KILLED A COPPERHEAD FRIDAY NIGHT RIGHT IN MY FRONT YARD!! I had been doing a yardwork getting ready for the 4th and had gotten my mowing, clipping, weedeating done and decided to turn the sprinkler on for some late evening watering. I had just checked on the horses for the night, turned off the sprinkler, and was coming across the front yard when due to moonlight and pasture security light saw what appeared to be a strip of tire rubber in the yard. I thought, I just groomed this yard and nothing was out here. Normally, by the time I run to the shed to get a hoe any snake has gotten away. Because that article had SNAKE ON THE BRAIN I had intentionally left a hoe out propped up against a tree. I ran and grabbed it and the snake was just about to get away but I got it! Nasty copperhead was enjoying the wet ground from the sprinkler! Don't remember who sang that song "The Snakes Crawl At Night" but it's true. Moral of the story is if you are watering your lawn keep yours eyes wide open when you step out at night. I was lucky my little indoor dogs did not get bit. I always let them go out in the yard to relieve themselves one last time right before turning in.

Latest posts

Back