Rain Rot

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
I just got a horse that the owner cant keep any longer. Her and her colt have rain rot. I was told to pull the hair and apply "captan". It's fungicide for roses. But I will be honest I dont feel like pulling thier hair out. Isnt thier something else I can do?? I think I heard Listerine works???

If it is weather suitable for washing we give a bath using iodine shampoo. Then use a product called MTG made by Shapeley's that we get at Tractor Supply. It stinks something terrible, but it is good stuff. I have also heard of the Listerine, but have never used it. So don't know anything about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had some bad cases this year on broodmares- not sure why- I guess it was real wet summer. Usually it is common for a recently clipped horse to be put outside in the weather to get it. Anyway- We use Orvis with betadine added in. Scrub them with a comb or rubber mitt to get down into the skin. Some may be tender, others really like it. Although the oily products will soften the skin and hair for the scabs to fall off, it actually encourages the spread. We found that if you get their skin dry and then let it flake out or shave off the hair eventually it will all grow back in normal. Most of the time just a couple of baths with the Orvis really does work well. They do look funny and ratty for a while, but it is pretty common in some areas depending on weather. If you think they need some oil - give it to them orally- corn oil is great and goes straight to the hair coat.

Robin-LKF

If you want a quick fix go for the Listerine, diluted half and half. The original.

If you want a slightly more hi-tek answer go for Robins.

Either are good.

Do I wash them first? Or just pour it on them and leave it??? They will smell like a drunk old man! Just the way I like them!

Hmmm, interesting. I've used Listerine in a lot of ways but never on rainrot. Good idea. We had a gelding, when I was a kid, who was very prone to pick up rainrot. We used a topical funguside from Jeffers and it did really well. Later, when I was paying the bills and couldn't afford to order the stuff, we used baby oil on them. We'd put the baby oil on one day and then the next day, we'd work at the lesions gently and then repeat the process until we had a clean coat. I can see how using listerine would be more effective because of it's antiseptic properties. Glad I read this thread. Thanks.

I have used Listerine mixed with mineral oil. Also MTG if tou have it , both work. I always wash with a fungicide shampoo before, but if its to cold just apply either mix. Might take awhile to clear up. Godd Luck

betadine REALLY works. Two horses in the past year came with huge

patches of rain rot. I mix betadine and warm water.. ...let soak

then kinda just scratch/rub the yuck off, hair comes off with it usually.

I usually have to do it a few times, until I can no longer feel the crud.

Just had a case a few weeks ago. Grooming her today... a beautiful

fuzzy crop of hair already there. "))

Good Luck.

Oh.. not sure if it matters.. but I make sure she stays dry lately, or if I know

she may get wet,, I make sure she's clean. (leaf blower does that trick very easy!!)

Just wanted to add that a fine tooth nit comb works very very well at removing the crusts. The kind used for head lice.
default_wacko.png
I used one on my mare and it was great, and she has a long thick coat. Good luck!

I love the micro tek by Equyss. Works well for rain rot to cure and/or prevent. They have both a shampoo and spray. Ever since I started using this off and on for bathing, including that "one last deep scrub down before winter", I haven't had anything that even resembles rain rot no matter what the weather. Great stuff and the spray dries clear, no smell. I also put flax in their feed, I think keeping the coat and skin conditioned from within helps.

My top pick for rain rot is MTG. You don't have to get the horse wet. Just apply it liberally. Every day is probably best, but I've done some once or twice a week and they cleared up quickly.

The scabs you have with rain rot tend to keep the product you are using from getting to the active infection so that is why it's suggested to pull them off, but the horses I've done act like it HURTS! The MTG gently softens the scabs and they come off pretty much on their own and the medication gets to the area of active infection.

Because rain rot can be either a bacterial infection or fungal, or both, Captan wouldn't get the bacterial part of it so might not have the result you hope for. to my knowledge Captan is just a fungicide.

We have had show horses come in here just covered with fungal and bacterial skin infection under the long winter hair. They look like a greasy mess with the MTG on them, but they clear up.

Good luck with your two. BTW, improved nutrition really seems to help too if they aren't in good condition.

Charlotte

We have done a couple of things that really worked well-

For just a spot or two: MTG

For just a spot or two that wouldn't clear up with anything: 10% iodine sprayed directly on the spot (do not wash out) once a day for 10 days.

For alot of body involved: Griseofulvin- given orally ~ this is just going to address the fungal part AND we added Uniprim (SMZs) as per vet's orders for a bacterial component.

We always start with the MTG and see how that goes first. But, we have had to use Griseofulvin and Uniprim on one horse that was severely affected when we got him. We had to use the 10% iodine on one spot on a couple of horses (really works great).

Selsun Blue or Tegrin Shampoo work great for me. I let them sit lathered for about 5 -10 min and that loosens the scabbies and they clean right off with little effort. I've never had to treat more than twice with this. both shamposs are antifungal.

I'd like to second the use of a "nit" or really narrow teeth comb to help pull out the crusties of the rain rot after treatments.

I had luck with an product recommended by the equine expert at our feed store called "Well Horse". Here's the blurb from their website:

"A proprietary blend of resins from certain trees that grow in the Amazon rain forest. Regenerates the tissue on wounds by promoting the formation of new collagen. Kills fungal and bacterial micro-agents on contact".

It wasn't cheap but I thought it worked well.

My vet said his best bet is an iodine scrub. A friend recommended smothering it with vasoline.

I just got one in that had a pretty good sized patch on his back. I body-clipped him today, then bathed him in Eqyss Micro-Tek. Lathered up and let sit for about five minutes. Scrubbed with a soft rubber curry. Yes, he has to be blanketed now, but I have a good start on getting his coat in good before spring. It will be easier to treat and manage. I also use the Micro-Tek spray, and I will use that daily until it goes away.

My Ellie had rain rot when I got her. I used athleats foot spray (the liquid not the powder) from the Dollar Store after I body clipped her. I only treated her once. It went away.

Latest posts

Back