rain rot

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not glad that anyone elses horse is going through rain rot, but it is nice to know me and my mare are not alone!

I brushed her area very well and had to use sissors to 'clip' so she looks very.....lovely.
default_wacko.png
lol! Her poor little back end, but I think she feels ok. She stood still and nice even though it had to sting, if we sang to her.
default_wub.png
she likes to hear how beautiful and wonderfull she is I swear!!

I tryed to go over all of her with a feel test. Her only spots are right over her rump. I did the lysterine, and some athlets foot powder. I hope it helps some. After clipping she was not as bad as I thought.

I hope you get a great outcome Marsha!! I hope all of our horses clear up and stay clear.

thanks for all the info. good luck to all
default_saludando.gif

Marsha how would you like to bath 6 horses in the stuff every week for a month. I REEEEEEEKED of rotten eggs.

Make sure you soak the area well.

I lime everyone in the spring and late fall in the stuff because I think its in the soil and can reinfect them. My grey Q.H. mare had a flare up this year late spring (it was on her lower legs only) I should have limed earier. The year before I had no flare ups but I limed them in the EARLY spring and LATE fall after they had their heavy coat.

Peggy did your horses itch? One of mine itched TERRIBLY and the others didn't?

Last edited by a moderator:
Stella the rain rot you have is extremely common down there. There is always one in the best of stables that has this creeping crud so don't feel bad. its not fungus, its bacteria that harbors and loves moisture and wet. The most important part of the treatment is to keep your horse dry, and out of all moisture or your efforts will be fruitless. That's why we had to have fans running down there in the barns constantly. Keep them dry and they will heal. Beware of waterproof blankets and sheets. Many will leak through the seams and some are not made right and water will funnel down to the body through the neck. Look for something very breathable but your best bet is to keep your horse out of the weather. Good luck
default_saludando.gif

One of ours broke out all over in what looked like rain rot - scaliness, scabs, white dandruff, severe itching. We called the vet right out. He did skin scrapings and blood tests and said it was not an internal infection nor was it any fungus. He thought it was an allergic reaction and treated her with cortizone. It helped, but it has not entirely cleared up.

I was reading the COTH forum and saw this thread:

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=155469

It will take you a month of Sundays to read all of it, but I was astounded at what I read. It may be Onchocerca. I read and read the thread and it seems to make a lot of sense. I am going to treat my horse as suggested and see if this helps. It may not be rainrot or sweet itch at all!

Let me know what any of you think of this long thread on COTH.

Holy cow! I will ask the vet tomorrow about Onchocerca. That may be why the lime sulphur works, as it is for scale insects.

He will either think I am a horsey wacko and humor me, know all about it and made recommendatons, admire my research and treat the idea seriously, or refuse my call when I try to make future appointments because he doesn't want to think that hard!

I have never been a fan of extensive worming. I like to do a fecal twice a year, and administer the toxin as needed. The toxicity of wormers building up in my horse worries me, plus its effect on soil and parasite resistance. But this may call for Drastic Chemical Action!

Hi Whitney-

One of the horses itched terribly. The other two did not. The one that itched was the one loosing the massive amts of hair and was scaly. The two with apparent ringworm did not seem to itch. I just happened to find it when I was doing a body check on them. I might add that one of the ringworm cases came after a very bad bacterial infection on this horse. For her, we also treated with Tucoprim for two weeks first (which helped alot) and then we discovered the ringworm later on. But, she was a bit flaky skinned, also. I think there were a couple of things going on with her at the same time. But, all is well now- we just had to stay on it very diligently.

Good luck all!

Just got back from the vet appt. He did a skin scrape and found no critters. He was mystified that the other areas on the body cleared up but not the hock area. He was very receptive to the roundworm idea and took time to do a little research then and there.

He gave me a Universal wash to use. Once a day, scrub it in, leave 15 minutes, rinse off. Every day. He said I needed to get the scab/dry areas off to let air under. Then to spray on the lime/sulphur after the rinse. He said it was good I shaved the hair off there. He gave me Ivermectin. Did not think it was a cancer.

It's freezing out, so I used a bucket of water. Forgot to drain my hose last night so couldn't use the faucet.

Peggy I bet we had the same stuff. My old mare itched herself almost bald, the others either didn't itch at all or only slightly.

Marsha I am doing monthly worming now and have for almost 4 months I'm testing both ivermectin and pyrantel pamoate rotation and it looks like the pamoate is working better. Something that I am noticing is horses are itching butts within 2 weeks of the ivermectin but not at all after the pamoate? Also my mini mare that always has had a pot belly does not now?

Haven't had a chance to check the link posted but I feel like a kid on christmas eve I'm off now to check it out THANKS for posting it.

Update

I read all 47 pages and those that started it never did post the results but most horses were not helped by the double dosing of Equimax or Ivermectin.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]Ok my 2 cents worth on Rain Rot.... I work at a vet clinic for starters. I have a Biggy mare that got a HORRIBLE case of this on her rump.. in her white spots no less. She was scratching her spots till they bled. Well I went to work... got novasan mixed and was going to treat with that.. THINKING rain rot was a FUNGUS.. it is NOT. Doc asked me what I was doing with the Novasan I told him it was to treat my horses fungus.. he looked at me weird... I said she has rain rot... he informed REAL QUICK that it wasn't a fungus.. ooookkkkk what is it..... "The organism dermatophilus congolensis causes rain rot. dermatophilus congolensis is not a fungus. It is an actinomycetes, which behaves like both bacteria and fungi. Most people believe that the organism is present in soil, however, this has not been proven. The organism is carried on the horse, who has it in his skin. A horse who has this organism in his skin may or may not be affected." for more about it go to.. http://www.equusite.com/articles/health/healthRainRot.shtml Well then Doc what do I do... he said her immune system could be wore down from worms.... well ok... then he said you need to treat with antibiotics... ok... I dewormed (everyone was due) put her on a round of Uniprim and also took the Novasan home and soaked the rain rot with it ( on my own not because he said to) . Within 2 weeks it was ALMOST all gone. Not sure if the trio worked together or if it was one certin thing... I believe if I had or will use the Novasan more it will go away completely (got way too cold to soak her with water)... SOOOO thats all I have to say about rain rot....[/SIZE]

April

Latest posts

Back