Rain rot....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genie

Reaction score
Not something I have seen before, but we have had lots of wet weather this summer.

When I was doing some other things in the barn a 3 year old filly walked in and I scratched her back where there was a "sprinkling of small matted patches of hair.

She didn't like me scratching them and so I brought her in to the cross ties and found several areas of patchy, matted hair, and underneath, scabby and sore.

It was warm enough to bathe her and then we had to clip and clean the spots which were raw and red and oozy.

The web describes it as rain rot or scald and to cleanse with anti bacterial soap and keep her in a ventilated area on clean dry bedding.

It also suggested a shot of penicillen and also to sanitize the brushes and clippers etc used to clean her up.

All of the above we have done. Are there other things that would make her feel better and speed the healing?

What a mess, and the web says it can be passed to others, but everyone else seems to be fine. We are still able to have everyone outside most of the time.

I like Equyss Micro tek shampoo and spray for rain rot.

I scrub my brushes in it too. Banamine can reduce inflamation and soreness. I like to use flax seed in the feed as a natural anti inflamatory and it puts good moisture to the skin too. Best wishes

Not something I have seen before, but we have had lots of wet weather this summer.
When I was doing some other things in the barn a 3 year old filly walked in and I scratched her back where there was a "sprinkling of small matted patches of hair.

She didn't like me scratching them and so I brought her in to the cross ties and found several areas of patchy, matted hair, and underneath, scabby and sore.

It was warm enough to bathe her and then we had to clip and clean the spots which were raw and red and oozy.

The web describes it as rain rot or scald and to cleanse with anti bacterial soap and keep her in a ventilated area on clean dry bedding.

It also suggested a shot of penicillen and also to sanitize the brushes and clippers etc used to clean her up.

All of the above we have done. Are there other things that would make her feel better and speed the healing?

What a mess, and the web says it can be passed to others, but everyone else seems to be fine. We are still able to have everyone outside most of the time.

I have used Baby Destin on a miniature before for the Rain Rot. My vet says that Rain Rot starts due to their immune system getting weak. So I had my herbalist make a product, that she sells now, called "Immune Booster". I give this in the Spring, Fall and I have no problems at all. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
This stuff called Lyme Dip will take care of it really well. It REEKS. Wear heavy rubber gloves and work it well into the areas with the rain rot and leave it on. It will be the end of the rain rot. A friend recommended it to me years ago, and told me to use gloves. BUT they were cumbersome to have on when trying to work the stuff in, so I took them off. Big mistake. My hands stunk for days despite washing them constantly. She also warned me it stunk so first thing I did when I opened the bottle was take a small smell and thought "not too gross" then a bigger smell, which made me gag!!! Then laugh at myself.

PS I think you dilute the stuff, if I remember right.

Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom.

I have an herbal spray that has wonderful healing qualities. I'll give you the name when I think of it....l.o.l., can't remember it at the moment.

It's a spray Reble told me about and I'll try that as well, so if she reads this she will advise. This spray takes your breath away if you get a whiff!

Is everyone agreeing that penicillen should be given?

THE HERBS

Most of the industrial world’s major drugs were originally derived from plants, which had a history of use in traditional medicine.SCHREINER’S® HERBAL SOLUTION contains six of the world’s most time-honored medicinal herbs. For thousands of years their healing power has been wideley recognized and recorded. Their beneficial qualities can be verified by both their continuous use and contemporary laboratory analysis.

The use of Aloe can be traced back 2,000 years when the Greek historian Dioscorides recorded the use of Aloe as a healing herb. Aloe Vera is known for its healing effects on wounds, burns and sores. Clinical studies have concluded that Aloe has anesthetic, antibacterial and tissue restorative properties.

The active ingredient in Goldenseal is Hydrastine, which is an antiseptic. It is highly effective in eradicating skin infections or sores. Goldenseal is tonic, restoring tone and strength to body tissue. Modern research confirms the plant’s strong antibacterial and even anti-viral action.

Comfrey derives its name from the Latin conferta, meaning “grow together.” The healing compound found in it is Allantoin, which affects tissue growth and speeds up healing in wounds and burns. It is an astringent, capable of drawing out infection from the body and destroying harmful bacteria.

Myrrh was one of the gifts of the wise men at the dawn of the Christian era. Myrrh has, since ancient times, been used as a cleansing agent, countering putrefaction and poisons throughout the body. It is an antifungal and antiseptic. Veterinary medicine has long used it in salves for sores and burns, and for wounds, especially for horses.

Cayenne is antiseptic, and inhibits growth of micro-organisms on living tissue. Its active ingredient, Capsaicin, can be put in a fresh or old wound. It is very healing and non-irritating. The Cayenne used in SCHREINER’S® comes from Sierra Leone in Africa, and it is said to be the most pungent and medicinal.

Elder is one of the most important of all herbs. The blossoms, as used in SCHREINER’S® are the most potent part of the plant and make for an effective treatment for wounds and skin ailments. Elder blossoms were listed in the U.S. Pharmacopeoia from 1831 to 1905, and noted as a blood purifier.

This is it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They suggest to use it on rain rot!!!

Reble told me about it for a little stud that had been attacked by another stud and had bite wounds.

Also the place where we bought it showed a horse attacked by a bear and this stuff healed those wounds as well.

It also will guard against proud flesh.

Thanks again for your responses.

I've used Eqyss shampoo & spray on rainrot with pretty good success most of the time, and I don't generally give penicillin for it unless we have a full blown out of control case (only been there once). I really like Aloedine shampoo too - medicated betadine with aloe, has worked on things I couldn't clear up with Eqyss.

Jan

THE HERBS

Most of the industrial world’s major drugs were originally derived from plants, which had a history of use in traditional medicine.SCHREINER’S® HERBAL SOLUTION contains six of the world’s most time-honored medicinal herbs. For thousands of years their healing power has been wideley recognized and recorded. Their beneficial qualities can be verified by both their continuous use and contemporary laboratory analysis.

TPharmacopeoia from 1831 to 1905, and noted as a blood purifier.

This is it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They suggest to use it on rain rot!!!

Reble told me about it for a little stud that had been attacked by another stud and had bite wounds.

Thanks again for your responses.
Don't know about rain rot, but I love Schreiner's Herbal Solution, its great stuff. I try not to be without it in my medicine cabinet.

I never heard of antibiotics for rain rot. I haven't had it with my minis, but I do shampoo with microtek as a preventative on occasion. All the full sized horses I treated in the past for rain rot did just fine on over the counter treatments, but if I thought my horse's skin was infected I would not hesitate to get the vet to take a look. While you have this going on I would suggest not timing any vaccinations until you have the rain rot cleared up. Vaccinations can tax the immune system and this can hinder your efforts sometimes.

I never heard of antibiotics for rain rot. I haven't had it with my minis, but I do shampoo with microtek as a preventative on occasion. All the full sized horses I treated in the past for rain rot did just fine on over the counter treatments, but if I thought my horse's skin was infected I would not hesitate to get the vet to take a look. While you have this going on I would suggest not timing any vaccinations until you have the rain rot cleared up. Vaccinations can tax the immune system and this can hinder your efforts sometimes.
THanks for the "heads up"

Regarding penicillen, that advice came from the web on the subject of rain rot.

Right now she' segregated and getting the Schreiners spray. We did give a shot of penicillen yesterday.

I have heard of antibiotics for it when it's really bad, or when the horse is otherwise fragile.

I have never had to use antibiotics either...But what I have used is the GOLD Listerine, barely diluted becuase it will sting when you SPRAY it on... Rain rot and Muck Itch is very common in Fla. So we used this alot. We also in the summer AFTER we bathe the horses mix it in a bucket of water and pour it over their neck and backs. Since we have been in Okla. we have used it only once, last year. Within a few days to a week it was completely gone! Good luck! We also use it for insect bites....seems to take the itch away...

We've certainly used antibiotics here in severe cases of rain rot. Rain rot frequently starts as a fungus and turns into a bacterial infection. Systemic antibiotics are called for in cases where the horse has multiple areas of rain rot.

Shapely's MTG is another topical product that is effective in treating rain rot.

Back twenty years or so ago, believe it or not, my vet recommended I pick off the scabs and dab the spots with used motor oil!!! Picking off the scabs was a horrible ordeal but the used motor oil did clear it right up within a couple of days. Getting your horse out in the sun as much as possible is most important to cleaning them up and keeping their skin healthy.

The best solution I have ever seen is a recipe that Joyce at Lil Folks gave me YEARS ago. You mix the original Listerine (gold) with baby oil and apple cider vinegar. ...equal parts of each..in a spray bottle. The Listerine is antibiotic, the baby oil soothes, and he apple cider vinegar balances the PH. Works wonders on rain rot or itchy tails, scratches..etc.

I have been using Schrieners, and bathing it, taking off the scabs and using the Schreiners again.

I also have the MTG product here, so will get that going too.

The sunny days for the most part have gone, and also, I had to clip her to clean things up, so she's n ot going outside unless it's very warm.

I think someone said it can be passed to other horses?

This little mare is the only one with it, and it's the only case we have ever had, but it would be a huge problem if I had a few that were like her.

Everyone's help with my problem is very much appreciated.

THank you.

I think someone said it can be passed to other horses?
Yes, it's much the same thing as ringworm. It can be passed between horses with direct contact or by equipment you are using such as brushes etc. Make sure you wash your hands between handling horses and that your equipment is clean too. And horses with rain rot shouldn't share the same bedding.

Back