Questions for those that drive on public roads.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerranger

Reaction score
The Exact Center of CA, 3,158 mi from the north p
Our horse has gotten to the point where Im thinking about going out on to the road. shes traffic safe in that shes not afraid of cars , bikes, kids or dogs. shes been ground driven over these same roads. I have an orange triangle, and am thinking of adding a flag on a pole. what else should I be thinking about before we venture out. I have mapped out several routes that have only minimal traffic. speed limits are 35 mph. [ not that everyone folows it.] its in a residential housing area. also if given the option of slightly more traffic or a long steep hill would you get out and walk up and down the hill or go around and contend with more traffic? same speeds? thanks in advance for your help. DR.

Last edited by a moderator:
the roads are wide enough for three cars to pass but there no shoulders they have 8" curbs. the hill is steep enough that I wouldnt drive my car on it if it were snowing or frosted. so I would be leading her on that part. the rest of the drive is light hills and smooth pavement. DR.

I too had the same problem at my old house. The road had tall hills and a few blinding curves. What I did to protect myself was walk the hills and curves just because I dont trust the drivers. (Anything can happen) And for my cart for extra protection of seeing me and my horse... I got the light-up valve covers for kids bikes (Walmart), leg reflectors for my studs legs, reflective tape all over my cart, and a tall orange 4-wheeler flag (4ft.) mounted to my cart on the right side. It is on the right side because I ride towards the on-comming traffic and the flag is where they can see it better. Also I have been wanting to get blinking red bike lights also just for extra protection too. These all have been pointed out to me by folks who drove by and said they could see me for almost a mile away and that all these items are very good ideals and had no problem seeing me. Hope this helps as they do for me. Good luck and be safe.
default_wink.png

Thanks I had not thought of leg reflectors. when you walk a section do you clip a lite lead to your headstall, or noseband or leave a halter under the headstall? You also reminded me that I have a orange flag left over from a sand buggy that has a small light on its tip. That might do to get attn too. thanks for some good ideas. DR.

because I ride towards the on-comming traffic and the flag is where they can see it better.
Legally horses and carts are considered vehicular traffic and you could actually be ticketed for driving on the wrong side of the road. I understand why you are doing it but just thought you should know. Another reason for not driving that way is that if the horse sees something coming towards it that it has never been exposed to before and it gets frightened it could turn to get away from it and actually put you in harms way. That is the reason for blinders - to prevent a horse from seeing something coming up behind it and at least if it becomes frightened and bolts it will go straight ahead and be less likely to get you hurt.

You need to know your hand signals for turning and stopping if you are driving on the road and you are legally required to use them.

In my case of driving towards traffic is because there are a lot of semi's and garbage trucks on that road I want to watch. My horse hardly never spooks but he will spook a little if he can hear something and not see it. This is just how he is. Most horses are the otherway around. I usally stop him also when something that big is going by. Thanks for the tip about the legal part of this as I did not know. As many cops that have drove by, stoped to take photos with their camra phones, and or to say "Hi & how cute". Not once has any of them told me this. But just because they did'nt dont mean the next one will. lol
default_unsure.png
Now that I have moved away from the old rental home and now live on a quite dirt back road, I dont have to worry about the traffic as much. But still will have all the safty items on my cart and horse. You can never be too safe while being on any road.

MindyLee said:
...light-up valve covers for kids bikes (Walmart), leg reflectors for my studs legs, reflective tape all over my cart, and a tall orange 4-wheeler flag (4ft.) mounted to my cart on the right side...blinking red bike lights also just for extra protection too.
I've often pondered those tall orange whippy flags and will use them for sure if I ever go on the one side street near here with endless little blind hills. I like the idea of adding a blinking light to the top of it! That would get a driver's attention faster as they came over the rise.
default_yes.gif

When I go out on the roads (which is 90% of my driving thanks to where I live) I try to make sure the drivers have no excuse at all to hit me. I wear a bright reflective vest, my cart has a large reflective Slow Moving Vehicle triangle on the back, several red reflectors permanently mounted on the cart, and I use reflective neoprene tail wraps for big horses on my shafts to mark us from the side. Kody has little reflective bands that go around his front ankles and I attach those blinking red bicycle lights to his tugs. If I ever get around to it my true night-driving gear would include the addition of reflectors or lights on all outside points of the cart (the wheels, seat back, shaft tips, etc.), reflective strips on a helmet cover for me, a reflective browband and cavesson set and probably a blinking red light on his breastcollar or false martingale. Oh, and maybe some of those big broad reflective belts around his barrel or something!

Yes, I'll look like a martian and feel ridiculously over-geared for a twenty minute drive on quiet roads.
default_rolleyes.gif
But all it takes is one thought of the damage a car collision could do to my beloved horse and I'm willing to do just about anything to avoid it.
default_no.gif

MiLo Minis said:
Another reason for not driving that way is that if the horse sees something coming towards it that it has never been exposed to before and it gets frightened it could turn to get away from it and actually put you in harms way.
Oh lord.
default_new_shocked.gif
I drive on whichever side of the road has the broadest shoulder which is sometimes towards traffic and sometimes away but I'd never really thought through the issue of why one would be better than the other. The mere thought of a horse wheeling out INTO oncoming traffic to get away is enough to turn my blood cold and you're right, that's exactly what most of them would do.
default_new_shocked.gif
default_no.gif
default_ohnoes.jpg
A riding horse just whirls in place but a driving horse gets stuck in the shafts and ends up out in the road at the worst possible moment. Oh, oh oh oh oh. Uh-uh. No way. Scary!!!

Driving a horse on the road is a very dangerous occupation, there's just no two ways about it. We can't go across a ditch to escape an oncoming car, we can't cut cross-country to avoid drivers who are harassing us, we may not have room to turn around in an emergency and our lives depend on our horse's training and common sense. A runaway across an intersection is no laughing matter and a horse who won't stand still when you need them to can get dangerous in a hurry. I don't hesitate to ride on a public road but driving gives me chills. I do it anyway, but it scares me!

The best you can do is prepare, prepare, prepare. I wear a helmet EVERY TIME because it is all too easy to be tossed out of the cart during a spook and I don't need my head cracked open on the pavement or a mailbox. I wear gloves for good grip and to prevent road rash if I hit the ground; I usually wear long pants for the same reason. My horse was walked extensively on those roads long before he was ever ground-driven there, he was ground-driven with blinkers on both into and away from traffic before he was ever hitched to a cart on public roads. He was not debuted until he had become absolutely consistent in restraining his startle instinct when garbage trucks, school buses, bikes and lit cop cars went by. We got over dogs, tarps, wind spinners, llamas and cows before we went out hitched. "Whoa" was understood to be the Word of God and the proper response to fear was to halt and wait for me to reassure him. We don't go out on the road without a warmup if there's any chance he's going to be exciteable and I use a bucking strap so he doesn't forget himself in the joy of going somewhere. (Have I mentioned Kody LIKES going out on the road? Fast?! *LOL*)

The other thing I do that helps the most is talk to my neighbors. I have "safe spots" all along my route where I have permission to take my horse up private driveways, onto lawns, and otherwise get off the road as much as possible. Those are lifesavers when equipment breaks down or a particular driver is giving you trouble!

And finally, you asked about that hill. I am personally VERY uncomfortable with the idea of getting out and walking a hitched horse in traffic so I would avoid the hill until your horse is strong enough to do it with a person in the cart. If you try to lead her then you run the risk of the horse taking out your knee with the cart wheel if she bolts (read: serious injury) and ground-driving from behind the cart usually leaves you with very little extra rein so it's easy for the horse to pull loose if she scoots forward. The last thing you want is a green cart horse loose on the road with her vehicle!
default_wacko.png

Leia

I have to face up to this soon as Bertie is now bored with the field and I have to do a very short drive on the road (which is through the village) in order to get onto a bridal path.

This will give me the best drive as it is an old railway track and actually set up for horses driving, I can go about eight miles altogether and end up in another town...not sure I shall do that!!

Anywho, I have one of those things that cyclists put on their bikes...it stands out form the wheel of the vehicle, has a reflector on the end and folds in like a wing mirror if hit.

It just helps a vehicle to judge the distance needed to clear the cart more easily.

I always drive on the right side of the road (which for me is the left
default_smile.png
) it is the law and you would not, I think, have a leg to stand on if an accident were caused.

In English law the horse has absolute right of way, up to and including going through red traffic lights if the coast is clear, and the horse is also considered an unreliable object and it is up to the drivers of cars to take this into account, thus, in our law, the car driver is always in the wrong.

That does not help you if your horse has been hit be a car, believe me, and I have had it happen.

Not nice at all.

I do not, nor have I ever, used Blinkers, and I am not doing so on Bertie, I have never found it make a difference, I do not use them on riding horses, even in heavy traffic, so, honestly, I would use them if I needed them, but I never have!!

I would advise you to walk the route you intend to drive, leading the horse, and see how you feel, and how the horse feels.

I would also advise you to check on your local laws governing horses and see what you have to do.

Then get as much reflective and protective (please wear a helmet...PLEASE) gear as you can and to hades with fashion!!

Leia is right, it does not matter if you look a prune so long as you are safe.

I think you will be alright, you have approached all this in a very sensible fashion and you know your horse, but proceed with caution.

Oh, one tip I can give you.....drive your car up behind your horse and sound the horn a few times to get him used to the sound, car drivers seem to have no sense when it comes to this.

Another thing to get him used to is airbrakes...I had a very sensible horse spook a bit when a lorry slowed down suddenly and used his air brakes...he thought he was being sensible, and he certainly did slow down nicely, just a bit abruptly!!

I agree helmets a must.

We had a Quarter/Arab 15.3 hands that would not except blinders when driving.

He was the best. (Reble)

We took Santa & got paid very well, 3 years in a row, in Kitchener ON, right into the mall.

Past children with balloons and past a pet store with a big fish tank, people lined up on both sides of the aisle snapping pictures and kids cheering, dropped Santa off at his chair, and had to turn around not much room, I think the children where more interested in the horse than poor old Santa, and back out the same door.

Of course hubby driving and I was right in front, we had a lead line on him once we came into the mall.

Sure miss that old boy.

The only reason I use blinders now, is because of the show rules.

Thanks for some great ideas! I have and wear a helmet. we have been out on these roads both leading and ground driven. The drivers have been mostly great, they pass slowly or stop to watch us . and drawing attn to myself has never been a problem for me so an orange vest with blinking lights should be right up my alley. one other question, do most have a horn on your carts? Im thinking of a BomBay taxi type horn. thanks all DR.

Latest posts

Back