Question on appy genetics

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djskid

Reaction score
Does one of the parents have to show appy characteristics in order for the gene to be passed on?

I have a month old filly that has some spots on her nose and under her tail has more spots than our known appy mare!! Neither the sire or dam show any appy on their registration papers (although some of the colours aren't listed so I guess it is possible that they are there) or have any characteristics themselves.

We have had two full siblings to this one and neither showed mottling. This is both mare and stallion's fifth foal, and none were even similar in colour to this one (3 solid silver dappled, 2 silver dappled pinto, 1 brown pinto and then this baby)!

What could be going on with our little one? Thanks!

Baby before clipping 112.JPG

after clipping 032.JPG

Sire hawk retouched 2013.jpg

Dam 021.JPG

Looks like both parents are silver (both look silver black to me, but could be silver bay also), silver can cause mottling of the skin around the muzzle and under the tail, so I'm guessing baby has silver and mottling is from that.

Mottling is not uncommon in silver horses.... and I think that is what you are seeing. If the parents have no Appy in their background for sure, the foal cannot have Appy.
default_smile.png

Thanks!! Didn't think she could be appy but didn't know about the mottling and silver horses, (although with 10 of them you would think I should)!
default_doh.gif
and had no other explanation!!

Latest posts

Back