Question for those who sell on Ebay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
I have a couple boxes of books (around 75) that I'd like to get rid of. The problem is, I don't know if it would be better to try to sell them on Ebay or to donate them to our local library for a tax receipt. I know that Ebay takes a percentage of sells, so I'm not sure if it would really be worth the time and effort to list them? Plus I've never sold on Ebay before. Could you guys share any advice, experiences, or opinions on being an Ebay seller? Should I just donate the books?

Books are a HUGE pain in the butt to sell, period. Don't expect to get more than $1-3 dollar/book. I would go through the books and see if you have any real gems (hardcover, excellent condition, first edition, rare/out-of-print, etc), and list those good books on eBay. Otherwise I would either donate them or bring them to an antiques shop/used bookstore if you would prefer to get cash-in-hand rather than a tax write-off.

Consider how long it would take you to sort through them, take pictures, list them on eBay, etc. Then consider what else you could do with your time. If you're bored and looking for a project, go for it!

I agree with the above, its just not worth the effort...salvation army and goodwill take books as well for tax write offs.

There are few things to consider with eBay...... First, everyone has to start somewhere, but those that sell with little or no feedback will get less for their products. People are afraid to pay large sums off of someone with no feedback. Now, if it is a low price item that someone would only be out a few bucks if they got scr?!ed then people will take a gamble.next, look to see what the items are selling for, not what the buy it now price is, but what the auctions are ending at, last, people get attached to auction items they are more like to bid the auction up with a low starting bid. Say after following several auctions for item, you know what the value is and the price range the item will most likely sell for. With that said, you will have many more people bid and watch until the last minute and bid if you start at $1 rather than start it at $25 when you know the maximum amount you will get may only be $30 (granted you have a fair amount of feedback that someone would not be leery to bid on your items).

It really is somewhat of a physcological game/attachment people get when it comes to auctions. Last make sure your shipping is accurate, you Don't want to end up being in the hole and loose money.

Above all else, as I already stated, follow a few auctions for the same items you are trying to sell, if they aren't really selling for enough to make it worth your while, then just donate them.

List them right HERE on the The Little Horse Barn Auctions & eBarns !!!!

Either that or donate them.
default_smile.png

Thank you all for your replies. I have been looking through ebay and some of the books look like they might be popular. Some look too popular. Lol. Reo, I totall forgot about the auction pages here. I'll have to look into that option too. :)

Thank you all for your replies. I have been looking through ebay and some of the books look like they might be popular. Some look too popular. Lol. Reo, I totall forgot about the auction pages here. I'll have to look into that option too. :)
Fees on the Little Horse Barn Auction are cheaper than eBay, at least they were last time I checked.

I started selling on Ebay about a year ago. I like to keep at least a few things listed at all times. I did find an item that sells rather fast and that is helping my feedback. It is a ton of work to become a seller. So, with that said, unless you plan on selling on Ebay for extra money (not much at that) I would not bother with ebay. To see what items like what you want to sell have sold for you can search in advanced right next to the search button. That way you can see what has actually sold.

I started selling on Ebay about a year ago. I like to keep at least a few things listed at all times. I did find an item that sells rather fast and that is helping my feedback. It is a ton of work to become a seller. So, with that said, unless you plan on selling on Ebay for extra money (not much at that) I would not bother with ebay. To see what items like what you want to sell have sold for you can search in advanced right next to the search button. That way you can see what has actually sold.
You don't have to sell things all the time, it's great to use when I have brand name kids clothes that my kids barely wore, I had a victor mini halter and some bkm halters that people were low balling me on on the sales board, got fed up and listed them on eBay during show season, well the Victor went for more than I paid for it in slightly used condition, the bkm halters also went for more than than I was asking on the sales board, I was honest about them, the buyers bid what they were comfortable with and were very happy still getting them cheaper than brand new ones. It is great for items that are lightly used, or we all have those things we just had to have and then after using it or wearing a few a few times, it is set aside. It is one of those situations that it is too good to yard sale, you don't expect to make a ton of money, but it is useless sitting around. You also get feedback when you are a good buyer on eBay,which helps build your score. I do both with my account, more buying then selling though.

I've bought books several times off the auction here.
default_smile.png
Books, not horse magazines.

You can sell many different things here! And Lois is great to work with!
default_yes.gif

Wanted to add....they will sell on ebay...I have bought books on ebay many times, they are usually a series I got interested in, good for me I paid as little as 50 cents and with media mail shipping, the shipping was very low, but I don't think it was worth the sellers time. I did pay a nice penny for a leather bound Steinbeck, so if you have anything like that, or coffee table books there is definately money to be made. I sold miniature horse world on ebay and did very well on those, it was a few years ago but I do remember one going for $45...I can't remember who was on the cover, but people wanted it. I had about 2 dozen of them and I don't remember not one for going under $8, but that was about 5 years ago.

It also depends on the type of books you are trying to sell.........Paperbacks, I would donate. Specialty books, such as horse oriented I would sell on a place like here and perhaps E-Bay. Hard Bound classics may do well on E-Bay.

We just sold two first printing Dr. Seus books on E-Bay....One for $125. The other for $75. Not sure if we were lucky or what, but we did check the "completed listings" with E-Bay before we put them up for sale.

Thank you everyone for your replies. There's so much to think about. The books aren't anything overly special, just some John Grishem, Nora Roberts, Danielle Steele, etc., and they're mostly paperbacks. I didn't think it would be worth the time to put them on Ebay, I just wanted to make sure.

When I have paperback books that are in good condition to sell, I use this site:

http://www.cash4books.net/

All you do is type in the ISBN number and they give you a price they are willing to pay. Then you box the books up and send them back with a prepaid mailing label you print. If they don't take the books, I donate them.

If you have collectible books, you can try http://www.powells.com/ They do buy books as well.

I've sold on Ebay for years off and on when I'm cleaning out my tack room or closets. It's a good way to get rid of items although between PayPal fees and Ebay fees, you lose a good portion of the sale. The seller fees do start to go down after you build your rating but that takes a while.

Thank you MountainWoman, I'll look into that site. Has anyone ever tried the PaperbackSwap site? I was reading about it a couple of nights ago, and it sounds interesing.

eBay Half.com is good. You just put in the ISBN and half.com does the rest. You don't even need pictures. They stay on until you take them off. The down-side--you have to store the books somewhere until they sell.

Be sure to tell every single detail, as to wear, on the books. Bent covers, marks, folded pages. Book buyers can get pretty picky!

I have sold on EBAY for 8 yrs, on and off. You can get 50 free lisitngs a month BUT remember the time to list-take pics- they collect a fee on shipping now too as well as their other fees. I have bought books before on EBAY for very reasonable for me or the kids. It takes time to establish yourself on their and on new folks they can put a hold on your acct for up to 20+ days. I still sell but not as much as I do sell some things here and on FB.

Thank you everyone. You guys have been really helpful. Right now, I think I'm going to hold on to them for a bit. I've been so busy trying to help my husband get all of his paperwork in order for his new job. Who knew that could be such a chore? I'm really thinking I'd like to post them on a smaller auction site, rather than get into the whole ebay thing. Seems like a lot of work. If I had more to offer, then it would maybe be worth it but books? Probably not. Although I'm extremely thankful to those who do take the time, between ebay and amazon I should just sign over my paychecks. Lol.

Had a thought........Last year we had a yard sale and put out two long tables of books.....one all paperbacks and the other hard bound. The paperbacks were all either 25 cents or 50 cents (can't remember which), and the hardbounds were priced individually. We sold probably half from each table. My husband asked all the book buyers if they'd be interested in coming back to buy more books at another sale and they all said a big YES.

We have a few special books that we will sell on E-Bay, but we also have boxes of books that we plan on selling at another yard sale when the weather warms up.

Take a look at Amazon as well. We've purchased and sold books needed for college on that site.

Latest posts

Back