Smoked marrow bones for dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amysue

Reaction score
So, this spring we will be attending the local farmer's market to sell our beef, pork, lamb and chicken. We have been saving all of the beef and lamb leg bones for the dogs, but have quite a surplus. A friend suggested selling them for dogs at the market. I don't mind stashing a few frozen ones in the cooler, but I would much rather prefer to smoke them so they could be stored dry and sold out of a crate or basket. ..like in the pet store. I have not been able to find any info on how to smoke/preserve the bones so that they won't spoil quickly, especially without refrigeration. Has anyone successfully done this? I know that cooking bones too hot/long makes them dangerous for dogs, but I know raw bones left out grow dangerous bacteria too. I see these is stores everywhere, so I know there is a way to do it, I just don't know how. Any directional info would be greatly appreciated. We would like to have a variety of products available at the market to make going worth our time/investment.

No idea how, but sounds like a good idea!
default_smile.png

How long do you smoke a piece of meat? Maybe use that as a gauge?

This is just my 2 cents as someone who's been in the pet industry for the last 13 years... Dogs have a unique digestive system so the bacteria isn't such a huge problem for them. Especially if you can freeze them and have a small freezer or fridge/generator set-up to sell them out of. People are nuts over "Raw" dog food right now. Heck, I feed my cats raw deer meat even
default_smile.png

If you were going to smoke them maybe a little experimentation?? Cut them down into shorter lengths and do some trial runs with smoking time. Heck put a batch in then take a few out at different times and set them out in the garage to see how long they seem to "stay good". Selling at a farmers market you don't have to create an endless shelf life like a pet store needs to have. Figure out how long to smoke them to get them to last a couple of days and tell people that they are smoked so they stay fresh longer but, unlike the ones in pet stores, they aren't over-processed so they retain natural nutrients and are best if used within 4 days (or whatever you decide they will last). Most dogs will work the marrow and any other goodie bits off of them fairly quickly then the bone part will last forever. Shoot, I've still got deer bones from last year out in my dogs kennel. They got all the good bits and now play tug with the bones when they get bored.

I don't think you run too much risk of making them dangerous with smoking like you do with high heat baking. And to tell you the truth, I feed my dogs roast bones, steak bones, rib bones, raw bones, cooked bones. I always have and I've never had a problem. The only bones I do not feed are cooked poultry bones. I feed them raw no problem.

Thank you, everyone, for the ideas and advice. I found a guide in a magazine as to temperature and time. Even these bones though will spoil - especially in the heat, and mold in plastic bags, so I guess I will put a few frozen raw in the coolers with the meat to sell and keep the smoked ones refrigerated. I was just trying to save time and do a bulk batch that would keep so I don't have to make some every week because I'm so busy this time of year. I've also been putting the chicken feet in the dehydrator for the dogs, they love those.

Latest posts

Back