Question about Training, Parelli and Rope Halters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I haven't said it before, let me say it now: I love this place!!!!
wub.gif
aktion033.gif

I have to agree with Rabbit. It's not about any of the "stuff" they sell, and that goes for Clinton too even though I am a fan. The most important thing you can learn from watching his shows, DVDs, tours, etc., is understanding how a horse thinks and what they will and won't respond to. I can't tell you what a difference it made for me, and remember I was already an adult when I got into horses, to understand the concept of backwards, forwards, left and right. I learned to "read" my horses by watching CA DVDs. Others learned that naturally over time, but I learned it from Clinton. And it's a skill I use every single day!

I'm my opinion, the things I learned from CA are why Wiz is a safer horse today. He was wilder than a March hare when he arrived and now he is a happy, healthy horse that can safely be in my herd. Is he perfect? No. But I used what I learned to understand he's not mean, he just lacked direction. He doesn't want to hurt me or anyone else, he just didn't understand what the expected behavior was. And being able to "read" him has saved everyone around him a lot of time, heartache and possibly injury. And he's never had anything but a traditional nylon halter on!

All training techniques should be used along with common sense. And hopefully that common sense comes with a natural warning about anyone who needs to force an animal to do anything. That video of PP makes me want to puke!

Last edited:
So agree Parmela. CA even says time and time again you don't need his rope halters or stick and string when you go thru his method, BUT, you will make more progress faster if you had them available. However the quality of stuff he sells I love and like I said before I love the halters and lead ropes and his stick and strings. If I didn't feel they were necessary I wouldn't have them. But if you want to use the regular nylon halters go right ahead you can do it. But like I have said I no longer own nylon halters, I can't stand them personally.

It doesn't matter how you train your horse, to which method you use, or toot your own horn, we all want the end result. If you think these guys are just a waste of time and money then thats your opinion. As long as you can get a horse trained using your methods then great. Like I said everyone wants the end result.

What CA has said there are better horsemen out there he is just good teaching and explaining it to people and thats why Downunder Horsemanship is the #1 method out there.

Clicker training is actually very simple. You can pick it up by watching videos and reading books, especially the one I love the most, Alexandra Kurland's "The Click That Teaches: a Step-by-Step Guide in Pictures." That plus the intro video will get you pretty darn far. The things to be aware of is you need to practice the timing of your click because you will get what you click, also making sure that you deliver treats correctly, and that you both click and treat when the horse is in a pleasant state (ears up and mannerly). I had an article published recently about proper treat delivery. You can see it online at http://goldvisionfarm.com/flipbook1/1445889427/ I also had a clicker training article published in the Miniature Horse World Showcase before it folded. If you have back issues of that magazine you can look it up.

Exactly what Jamie and Parmela said. Clinton Anderson goes out of his way to tell people they don't have to buy his tools or product, and they don't have to listen to just his method of training. He admires anyone who seeks information for their own needs and questions. He himself is constantly learning and evolving his method of training. He also credits the men who mentored him for creating his foundation of exercises. Each to their own way with their horses, I trained horses for 29 years before I found an easier and more effective way by watching and listening to Clinton.

Latest posts

Back