Question about trailering a horse.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhondaalaska

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

We are having a discution in our house on what is the best way to trailer diva to the vet Tuesday.

It is about an hour and a half each way.

What I need to know is should we tie her or let her loose in the trailer.

I am going to put her hay bag in it for her with her Favorit snack hay in it for the trip.

She is getting her teeth done and all shots and blood tests done at the same time.

How do all of you haul your horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 14' stock trailer with center divider. If I haul one or two they are loose (both in front if they get along, one front one back if they don't. When I haul 6 I divide them three and three and tie them

I have a sixteen foot stock trailer with a full center devider. I haul loose, devided in half,regardless if it is a big horse or a mini. Sixteen feet is too much room, I am afraid of them getting thrown around. I would only haul loose if they have a solid compartment.If it was a straight load with a only a partial devider, I would tie, wouldn't want them getting hung up on something.

What trailer are you using? It really depends on the trailer really. If you have a stock trailer, like the others have said and have a divider in there, leave her loose. But if it is a straight or slant load trailer, tie.
default_smile.png

My horses stand crosswise in my trailer. Granted they are in stalls that don't leave them much room but I never tie them.

It is actually my husbands trailered ice house. Kind of like a small toy hauler with windows. We have it devided in half for two stalls because it would be to big other wise. So she has just enough room to move a bit and she was able to turn around when we brought her home but that is it. If we leave her loose we are going to put a strap or chain with rubber on it like in big horse trailers so she can not leave the stall area when we open the door. It sounds like most of you haul loose.

I have a full size double pony trailer and if i need to transport, I always leave them loose with hay..Iv never had any problems

I am the exact opposite- having seen a pony jump over the back ramp and kill itself I always tie them. I think they travel better anyway as they have something to balance against. I do not have partitions in my van, so tying them up is a necessity.

I always tie them in- again, I have know of two fatalities due to people leaving horses loose in a trailer, where both ended up out on the road. Two different people and two different incidents.

Ok if I tie how tight should I tie her in?

I think I had her too loose last time .

She was able to turn around.

I had her to where she could reach her hay on the floor.

I now have a hay bag I can use instead

I tie mine pretty tight, not to where they are squished against the wall but not loose where they can touch the ground. My problem is that mine like to grab eachothers legs underneath the partitions if its too loose, so I tie pretty close. I leave enough room to where they can lean back on the wall, what I have seen on my trailer can is that they lean back with their butts against the wall for balance.

Probably safer to tie, I've hauled both ways but it depends on the trailer and situation.. Tie just as you would if you tied them up in your barn at home, if you leave too much slack they can get a leg over the rope or get halfway turned around, just increases the likelihood they will get in trouble. If you are going to tie, tie securely. On long hauls it is healthier for a horse's respiratory system to be able to put his head down but safety has to be the overriding concern. I hang a small hay bag if they need it.

Jan

I am going to tie her and she will have her hay bag to munch on.

I think I had her to loose last time because her hay was on the ground.

Her vet appt is tomarrow. I am going to walk her a bit before we load her to taked her back home after.

I hope she is not to groggy after. If I have to I can ride in the trailer with her as a last resort.

I have a space out side of her stall area. In the trailer.

I tie mine where they can keep their head at a natural level so it's comfortable, but not so long they can reach the floor- they could get a leg tangled up and then you have a real problem. If she is groggy- no feed so she doesnt choke. Also you might check the laws for your area but some places it's against the law to ride in the trailer.

Latest posts

Back