Question about the HyperBike

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KellyAlaska

Reaction score
I love all the postings about the HyperBike. I think it looks like an awesome option and hope to own one in the future but I was wondering if you are more at risk of getting kicked by the horse if they act up? I am sorry if this is a dumb question it just looks like from all the photos you are kinda straddling the horses hind end.

Thanks,

Kelly

Not a dumb question at all...

As you know, when you're behind a horse, it's safest to stay close so that a kick has little power. With the HyperBike, you are close enough that a kick usually is ineffective and unlikely to strike you.

That said, I have seen it happen once, but this was with an extremely green horse in the midst of a freak-out that would have turned an EE into kindling (or metal for the scrap heap). The driver was a bit bruised, but otherwise fine. The HyperBike was unscathed.

Looking at Mingus from the HB, I think a horse would have to be extremely motivated to get their feet anywhere near you...and you can always use a kicking strap if you're concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so close to Maggie's backside, I don't think she could connect. But Thank goodness in all the years I have driven her, she has never offered to kick.

Most horses are so close to the seat in the Hyperbike that they have little chance of getting a hind leg up high enough to hit you. My Kody is a narrow little thing so he's further up in the shafts than most and probably could, but I usually use a kicking strap on him because he's a high-spirits bucker and sometimes gets too excited in the 'Bike if he hasn't been worked in awhile.

I did have one mare get spooked or stung or something and take off bucking frantically and she did manage to get a hind leg up high enough to kick my foot off the stirrup. That didn't end well but I doubt it would have gone better in a regular roadster cart as I would probably have been flipped off the back instead or the vehicle would have overturned with all her swerving. All I could think was why did I have to pick that drive to leave off her kickstrap for the first time??
default_rolleyes.gif

Leia

I don't have a hyperbike but I do use my little sulky alot. I am up-close-and-personal to the hind end. I think you'd have to have quite a fracus to get a hoof on you in that position. And getting a kick would then be the least of your worries.

Latest posts

Back