Putting "Goop" on horses faces ILLEGAL?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah's Little Blessings

Reaction score
Ok, I'm still what I consider new to the showing world, however I do know I have seen the black, and clear goop still on horses at Worlds. One of my friends is down there right now, said that her friend who she is helping out found out they are making goop illegal for AMHA show horses? Is this true?? Its a he said/she said situation, but I would love to know before I go in the ring with something illegal on the horse?
default_wacko.png

Also will this effect the AMHR horses? Thanks-Sarah

I hadn't heard of the "goop" being illegal. But I did hear about the possiblity of making razoring illegal which I fully support.

No I haven't heard of "goop" being illegal either.

But I have heard that razoring for AMHR will be illegal after this year.

Just curious/wondering where you heard this at?

To my knowledge and memory......it was brought up but not voted in favor for AMHR.......now ASPC went into effect this year -08 not to razor "above the nostrils"

Maybe I missed something, but I don't remember it passing at convention on the AMHR side in Reno or Buffalo

Razoring failed in AMHA at the meeting in Feb 2008. As for goop never heard of that one and it would have to come up for a vote before it would become a rule, but just like razoring, I don't think it would pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rule was passed for ASPC..no razoring above the nostrils...i have not heard anything about a rule being passed in R for now razoring. I would be very much agianst a "no razoring" rule for miniatures...

A "no goop" rule is about the most silly thing ive heard yet...basically if a no razoring and no gooping rule passed our horses would look as if they were just walked out of the pasture and no effort put forth..

A thought just popped into my head what about a .......................................body clipping ban?

This would force breeders to also breed for a tight coat. Me and my clippers could really go for THAT!

Does anyone here keep their show horses in blankets year round? What does the coat look like?

A thought just popped into my head what about a .......................................body clipping ban?
This would force breeders to also breed for a tight coat. Me and my clippers could really go for THAT!

Does anyone here keep their show horses in blankets year round? What does the coat look like?
I would be very much against that. The World show is held in late Sept early October and at that time of the year my horses have atleast an inch of coat. It has nothing to do with breeding tight coats and everything to do with time of the year in the northern hemisphere and Mother Nature.

While I see no reason to ban "goop" I strongly disagree that they cant look good without it and razoring.

teaseneckfrench-360x283.jpg

teasefrenchbody-346x434.jpg

MCS_0065-280x355.jpg

I would be TOTALLY, TOTALLY against it.

My show horses stay outside all they want (with barn access) but they can stay out and have 3" of snow on their backs if they want during off season.

No way I want to keep them stall confinded with limited turnout all year long.........Sept-March mine are out being horses...

While I do have some I don't clip.........had 3 I didn't clip all year. I couldn't show them until May until they slicked off completly.....and yes they were the "shetland" ones......

No rules stating you have to clip, and yes I showed 3 unclipped, just tight coated ones at Nationals this year - one went National Champ, another Res. and the last 3rd........

I'd be interested in knowing how many people actually razor pink noses anyway? AND if you do, how far up to you go?
Yes Sheryl I never razor white/pink nosed horses either.....never will .......

all my white nosed horses are just tightly clipped!

I have seen many pink nosed horses razored. But thats not what this thread is about
default_smile.png
I also showed promise (grey) and dale (bay pinto) this year and none of them were razored. Now to each their own not at all trying to say people cant razor their horses. But I dont think just because a horse isnt razored its not attractive.

Back to the topic -- In watching the live feed the horses there have goop on their faces so I have no idea why the OP's friend told her that. I have heard of judges telling people they are using too much and maybe that is what happened?

Thank YOU for that clear statement, Kay!

Gee, I wonder how we ever 'survived' when people 'simply' provided good nutrition, proper exercise for fittness, and then bathed, and yes, even body clipped, during 'long coat' time of year, with careful attention to a clean profile...like the horse Kay pictured(OUTSTANDING, Kay...and I seldom say that....). There is a HUGE difference between that lovely but NOT overdone presentation and 'just grabbing them out of the pasture', for heaven's sake!

I would ABSOLUTELY support a complete ban on razoring; and think it is too bad there is so little support of things that offer more consideration to the horse's overall well-being...(and not just in the world of miniature horses).

Margo

Don't bother to flame; it's been gone over here before, ad infinitum...you won't change my mind, and if you are in favor of it, I don't believe I will change yours. I will ALWAYS speak against such things.

Ok, I'm still what I consider new to the showing world, however I do know I have seen the black, and clear goop still on horses at Worlds. One of my friends is down there right now, said that her friend who she is helping out found out they are making goop illegal for AMHA show horses? Is this true?? Its a he said/she said situation, but I would love to know before I go in the ring with something illegal on the horse?
default_wacko.png
Also will this effect the AMHR horses? Thanks-Sarah

I have seen many pink nosed horses razored. But thats not what this thread is about
default_smile.png
I also showed promise (grey) and dale (bay pinto) this year and none of them were razored. Now to each their own not at all trying to say people cant razor their horses. But I dont think just because a horse isnt razored its not attractive.
Back to the topic -- In watching the live feed the horses there have goop on their faces so I have no idea why the OP's friend told her that. I have heard of judges telling people they are using too much and maybe that is what happened?
Actually the original topic/question had nothing to do with WATCHING the live feed from AMHA's Nat'l show. It had to do with a rumour about making goop illegal.

Thanks so much Margo!

I have taken quite a bit of heat over the years for not razoring, removing eyelashes etc. I have been told everything from Im too lazy to I am not professional enough. Nope those things have nothing to do with it. It is just my preference not to razor them etc.

And I agree this argument has been done so many times its just not worth it. To each their own!

Here is a example of a "basic" razoring job i did just on the muzzle...a basic simple razoring with a light "goop"...i have some that a elegant simple light razor with a light spray of pepi / oil will look nice. Does not look like a slip n slide on her nose...

BB7.jpg

Then a more extreme razor on black skin..i didnt go up the face..just eyes/muzzle

bb9.jpg

Here is about the lighest skin i would razor on...still "dark" skinned but not a pinky really...i blended really well as it got pinker away from the muzzle...

AA002.jpg

Just curious/wondering where you heard this at?

I heard this from a board member a week before Natls' if the info was incorrect I apologize. I think us as horse owners we should have the right to present our show horses as we please.

I wasnt meaning to hi jack this thread so sorry for that. Good luck at your show!

Jessica

Thank YOU for that clear statement, Kay!Gee, I wonder how we ever 'survived' when people 'simply' provided good nutrition, proper exercise for fittness, and then bathed, and yes, even body clipped, during 'long coat' time of year, with careful attention to a clean profile...like the horse Kay pictured(OUTSTANDING, Kay...and I seldom say that....). There is a HUGE difference between that lovely but NOT overdone presentation and 'just grabbing them out of the pasture', for heaven's sake!

I would ABSOLUTELY support a complete ban on razoring; and think it is too bad there is so little support of things that offer more consideration to the horse's overall well-being...(and not just in the world of miniature horses).

Margo

Don't bother to flame; it's been gone over here before, ad infinitum...you won't change my mind, and if you are in favor of it, I don't believe I will change yours. I will ALWAYS speak against such things.
Margo

I so agree with you and your above statement. And no don't flame me either, its how I feel.

I don't see the need in doing it. And I think it looks so unnatural. It does not show the true horse.

Just my opion. And how many horses will end up with scar's from it? Okay, no flames, I am

sure some of you can do it without cutting the horse's face , but how many do it, trying to

and do cut the heck out of them. How so sad, to have scar's forever for just a show.. is

the trophy really worth it? I too, wish it would be banned, in AMHA, and AMHR. I know the

other breeds do it, but do we have to copy them.

Just my opinon.

Vicky

MargoI so agree with you and your above statement. And no don't flame me either, its how I feel.

I don't see the need in doing it. And I think it looks so unnatural. It does not show the true horse.

Just my opinon.

Vicky
Well not much about halter horses shows the true horse that is just a fact. Razoring is allowed and no need to discuss it since it is a choice do it or not.

Sweating necks, throatlatches, shoulder, bellies all of these things do not show the true horse. Conditioning tricks to aid in the appearance of having a better hind end, better front end, prettier head or neck do not show the true horse.

I have to agree with Irish Hills Farms and say most people do not razor a pink nose and of course a lot depends on where you show and who and how many you are showing against.

MargoI so agree with you and your above statement. And no don't flame me either, its how I feel.

Just my opinon.

Vicky
Well not much about halter horses shows the true horse that is just a fact. Razoring is allowed and no need to discuss it since it is a choice do it or not.

Sweating necks, throatlatches, shoulder, bellies all of these things do not sure the true horse. Conditioning tricks to aid in the appearance of having a better hind end, better front end, prettier head or neck do not show the true horse.

I have to agree with Irish Hills Farms and say most people do not razor a pink nose and of course a lot depends on where you show and who and how many you are showing against.
And Bingo, I have to agree with your statements!

Latest posts

Back