Putting full sized horse foals in with minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseyGurl22

Reaction score
I have a full size quarter horse who is pregnant now. Right now, the only horses I have are her and my 2 minis (14 y/o mare 9y/o gelding). I'm trying to plan for the future as far as when I wean this quarter horse baby. I don't have any other babies to put it in with, but was wondering if anyone has ever tried putting a full sized horse foal in with minis? My mini mare was a brood mare so she is use to teaching babies (in fact the gelding is her son, and she still does a good job at putting him in his place when he steps out of line)

Just wondering what you alls thought were on this idea
biggrin.gif

I currently own a QH mare, her 4 month old colt, a mini gelding, pony orphan weanling, and a 39" weirdo pony (haha)

I was planning to get the QH colt a pony size weaning buddy because he likes to jump on the minis (who could care less but this foal will get bigger and it wont be so cute for them then) I would say it depends on your minis personalitys... If you have a mini who will play but set boundries then that could work. Other wise I would do (what I am doing) is find a 11hh or so pony or anther weanling to use for a buddy.

New_Image said:
I currently own a QH mare, her 4 month old colt, a mini gelding, pony orphan weanling, and a 39"  weirdo pony (haha)
I was planning to get the QH colt a pony size weaning buddy because he likes to jump on the minis (who could care less but this foal will get bigger and it wont be so cute for them then) I would say it depends on your minis personalitys... If you have a mini who will play but set boundries then that could work. Other wise I would do (what I am doing) is find a 11hh or so pony or anther weanling to use for a buddy.

486611[/snapback]

I think my gelding would be up to playing. My mare seems very mama-ish. Doesn't allow foolish behavior from the gelding (like today, he tried running her over to get to me and the treats, she gave him a good telling off)

I was planning on tring it out while the foal was still pretty small. I have extra room to put the foal if it doesn't work, but I have no other horses and I know how lonely they get without a buddy.

I wouldn't do it just because of the safety factor. One accidental misplaced kick from the larger horse, and you would have a dead horse or maybe a very large vet bill.

I have seen injuries on big horses in with other big horses... usually just scabs over and the hair grows back... but imagine the damage inflicted if the horse was smaller!

Andrea

Last summer I weaned my filly with my Minis, they got along Great but this summer I separated them as the Quarter Horse filly was starting to play to hard with the mini's so it was time to separate them, she still likes to be next to them in anopther yard.

My Mini Mare 2 year old was the herd leader of the three so the Quarter Horse listened to her pretty good.

Good Luck, you will just have to know when to pull the Quarter Horse baby out before the Mini's get hurt.

I have a full size orphan colt that I have raised since he was 3 days old in with our minis. I wanted him to have some knowledge of horse sense and the full size horses were absolutely ruthless to him. Was afraid they would run him through the hot wire fence or hurt him. So he has been with the minis since he was 3 days old. Within this last month I have put 2 - 5 mos old fillies in with them all. Well Lucas (my orphan) won't have anything to do with the full size fillies - he hangs with the minis and none of them associate with the 2 fillies. Lucas doesn't know he is a full size colt and the fillies stay their distance from he minis - they act terrified of them especially if the grumpy mares pin their ears at them.

So far have had no problems with the fillies and the minis - as like I said the minis have definitely let them know that the fillies space is their (minis) space and that the minis space is also their (minis) space! lol And Lucas just takes everything in stride and goes along with his mini herd since he thinks he is one of them.

I used to run my full size old gelding(Joe) with my mini-mares. They did wonderful together until my neighbors got a stallion. Then Joe got too aggressive with "his" mares. I even tried putting Buddy(a dwarf mini gelding) back with Joe as they used to run together. Did okay for a couple of days and then Joe got aggressive again. So now we have more fencing and Joe has his own area but can still see and touch noses with "his" mares.
biggrin.gif

I have seen it done succesfully. But I would never do it as I saw one bad experience.

1 big horse was running with a paddock of minis. As they were going through the gate they all spooked - as we all know any spooked horse will just run no matter what or who is in the way. Well a 32" pregnant mare was in the way, the big horse was in such a rush she barreled her over. The mini went flying, landed on her back with the big horses hoof coming down on top of her exposed belly.

Miraculously both the mini and the foal ( later to come) were ok.

The big horse was one of those quite lazy, plod along horses - it was only that they all got a fright in a condensed area.

I have always weaned my quarter horse babies by putting them in with my minis. I simply didn't have any other way to do it. So far I have never had any problems. The QH weanlings respond to the herd pecking order as if they don't realize they are bigger. A few years back we had some bad weather and I had to combing ALL of my minis and big horses. I was scared to death of what would happen but they lived together for about two months and after a few minor skirmishes they were fine. As soon as we were able, I split them back up because of the risks others have already mentioned. But it can be done. This year my bred QH mare hurt herself so I put her in with the minis so I could keep a better eye on her. She foaled while in with them and spent the first month after foaling with them. When she healed I put her and her foal back out to pasture with the big horses. Now at weaning time I have her baby back with the minis again. I have no problems with it. Linda

This might work for some people, but LUCK has got to be a factor. This is not something I would do. The risk of serious injury to the mini, or even death, is just too high.

A few years ago I purchased a Paint filly at 3 months of age. At the time I had already sold out of my other full size horses and had no companion for her and coming from a farm of 15+ horses to a pasture I knew she needed company -- Another full size horse was not an option. I raised her with 3 Miniature Horses and they got along great. I firmly feel since they were raised together since day one and the minis were basically all she knew, she thought of herself as a mini also. No aggression whatsoever and she was very submissive to the minis .... I did pull her from the herd when she was a yearling though, at 14.0 + hh. it became quite a height difference that I wasn't comfortable with. Not to mention once she began a yearling and began cycling (I own stallions) she was very hard to manage and I felt she was a threat to the minis.

Several years ago I owned a 40+ year old, 13.2 hh., Paint X gelding who needed an easy going companion he could 'handle'. He had severe lameness issues and just spent lots of time 'hanging out'. My Thoroughbred I owned at the time, who acted like he was constantly ready for the races was just too high strung for him, so I bought him his very own Miniature Horse mare, it was love at first site and they were together till the moment he passed away. I thank Samson for starting my addiction to Miniature Horses. Almost 5 years later of buying my first I am now up to 10 Miniature Horses.
smile.gif

I'm not against full size horses and minis and I'm not for it. I adjust my opinion from horse to horse, so to speak -- What I witness on how they interact. --

Right now I have a 14.0 + hh. Quarterhorse gelding who is about as easy going, bombproof and forgiving as they come, but I refuse to turn him out with my Miniature Horses, because the minis are actually too dominate over him! Not to mention his overall height and built (he's a tank!) I just don't feel comfortable with. He enjoys their company nicely through the fence though.
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back