Purple Iris, Pond and Oranda pics

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling

Reaction score
Here's a late spring photo session of our recently updated pond. We totally moved it's location from being an inground pre-fab to being a partial above the ground pond. Dug a hole to it's dimensions and decorated it with flat landscaping rocks. There is a small water fall to the left of the Iris plant. Also dwarf Lillypads along with water Hyacinth. And of course my favorite ....a purple Iris!

The fish if you remember a couple months ago were teeny tiny...they're growing quite fast. We have 2 Orange and white Orandas and 2 comets. The thing I love about the Orandas besides being so friendly is they have little cupie doll faces...they look like a little Baluka whale in miniature. Hope you all enjoy our little bit of pond life right here on our farm. :bgrin

ee9a43de.jpg

ee9a4364.jpg

ee9a4301.jpg

ee9a42ab.jpg

ee9a425e.jpg

ee9a4214.jpg

BEAUTIFUL! You're a lucky duck, I can't let my sister see this post, she has wanted a pond forever and that's a beautiful one!

[SIZE=12pt]Hey DUNK!!!!!!![/SIZE]

Haven't talked to you in forever!!! Beautiful pond.. I had a prefab pond that I bought last year, and for Mother's Day made the family feel guilty enough to dig a hole for me. But 3/4 of the way down found a water pipe and so it sits up above ground some. We used round river rocks around it, But I have to find something to cover the edges. I have two small koi in it right now. And if Wal Mart gets anymore healthy ones, I will add to that. Will your Orandas live through the winter in it?

Thanks for sharing!

Just beautiful!
default_wub.png
: I love purple Iris too and fish! Those fish are cute! I just love yard ponds.

Oh wow, that looks terrific!! You guys did a great job with it. I love the little fishes and you are right, they do look like little baby orange Beluga Whales..... too cute. :aktion033:

Thanks you guys!!!! :bgrin Hey Becky, once your sister gets started with one she'll wonder why she did'nt do it sooner. For me ...less is more. We had the bigger one with the Koi and then this smaller one sitting in ground right next to it. But the Great Blue Heron kept stealing the fish and it was getting quite expensive. Since we brought this one closer to the house and sold the rest of the Koi and filled the big pond up...I am really enjoying pond keeping. More to enjoy when you have less work to do with it.

Hi Kim how have ya been girl??!! :saludando: :bgrin I don't know what kind of native plants you guys have in your area, but they look pretty around an unfinished edge to fill it in some. Even landscaping timber of just plain flat slate rocks. Can you post some pics of your pond? Yes my Orandas and all the fish I have had in the ponds will overwinter in it. I just make sure they always have an oxygen hole and they're good to go.

Thanks Robin!! I'm hoping to take my pond keeping to OK with us! I have not seen many landscaped ponds in the RE I've looked at but there's always a first. Depending....we may take some stuff from here with us. :bgrin
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks Valerie!! Ohhh..is that how you spell Beluga?
default_thumbup.gif
: I have always thought that about these sweet little friendly fish....they have to be my favorite!

Hey Tiff--just saw your post. They really are not hard to put up at all. You just have to know what you want and how you want it set up because there are so many ways you can decorate. Oh and have yourself a pond digging party! LOL !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
How beautiful! You've done a great job with it - looks so relaxing and serene!!! But what about those crows - are they leaving the pond alone or are they using it as a dunking booth for their food, too?

Liz R.

Thank you Jayne!! :bgrin

Liz--the crows don't come this close to the house...or so they have'nt YET. They pretty much stay back off the deck as you go into the grassy area and corrals of the farm. I hope it stays that way too. It's very quiet there...thats where I do alot of my reading...it's still the meditation area that you had mentioned a while ago. :bgrin

Back