Purchasing Fescue Free

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
Im not sure why all the hay people I have spoken w/here can not guarantee fescue free hay. I have been unable to find anyone that has certified fescue free or that can even arrange to get me any. does anyone know of a spot in Fla. where I can purchase some. Im in S.fla. but can travel up to N.Fl. to pick up IF I can find any.

Aslo, when do you start feeding it and does it need to be fed for any time after foaling, Im just trying to figure out how much I would need for only one horse.

P.S. The several hay people i have spoken w/just say..yeah, theres no fescue in this hay and are just way to non chalant(sp) about it for me to believe them!!

thanks for any help

heidi

I don't think fescue is a grass grown here in Florida. You can usually purchase Tifton or Coastal safely. As to Alfalfa/Timothy/etc, they don't usually have fescue in with them to my knowledge. We had alot of fescue when we lived in North Carolina. It was about the only grass that would grow in our soil mixture. Grass hays were usually a fescue/orchard mix. I have never run into it in Florida. We pulled our mares off the pasture about 3 months before foaling and put them on straight alfalfa until the foals were about 3 mos old.

From my understanding, it would not stand a chance in the Florida heat. Fescue is a cool season grass adapted to grow in northern colder states. So if you are sure the hay is baled in Florida you can pretty much bet it does not have fescue in it. I was told the furthest south it will grow is in Tennessee, but I do not know that to be fact.

If you do a search on Fescue in Florida you should find out all the information you need.

Carol

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back