Purchasing Colostrum

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristi@berrett-ranch

Reaction score
I have read that you should have colostrum on hand in case the mare doesn't let the foal nurse. I am having trouble finding this locallly, can you tell me what you all have used and where you bought it. We have a local Tractor Supply and they have a powdered colostrum but it doesn't say it is for horses, they also have a colostrum supplement but it doesn't mention in use with equine either.

Also have any of you used Mare Plus for your Mares and if so what was your dosage?

Thank You for your advice!

Kristi

Berrett Ranch

My vet always has some on hand and they are mostly a small animal clinic so I would assume your nearest vet should either have some on hand or know of where to get some quickly.

Also, Robin (ROKO on here) has set up a colostrum bank. It is awesome!!! If you have any problems, there is a huge list of people who have colostrum on hand and all you have to do is go on there and locate whoever is nearest to you. There is also great info on how to store your own colostrum.

Thank you again Robin for setting up such a wonderful and useful webpage!

Colostrum Bank

--Wanted to add that if a mare does not let a foal nurse but is producing colostrum, we always use her own colostrum for her foal. We just milk the mare ourselves and then administer it to the foal with a small syringe. Some maidens are difficult at first and we have to hold them the first few times the foal nurses. After that they are usually good to go. Last year we had a 17 yr. old mare have a filly and she ended up not producing quality colostrum or milk so we had to use some that we had stored from her daughter the year before. We had the vet check IgG levels in the foal afterwards to make sure she was on track and she did fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
HI Kristy, you can check out ROKO miniatures she has started a colostrum bank and she may be able to help you find some locally. Also please please do not use any colostrum that is not intended for horses, I have seen people do it with stuff like cow colostrum on quarter horse foals and it inhibits the absorption of actually antibodies that they should get from the mare so even if it does get up and drink it is useless for the foal and we have had to get in mare plasma and IV the foals to try and get them back to health, some dont make it, so please try something else, milk another mare or the mother for colostrum or milk some out of another mare and keep it frozen. hope this helps

You guys beat me to it!
default_smile.png

Yes, I started a BANK!

I want everyone who has foals to save some colostrum and email me the info!

The more people in the bank, the more foals we can help!

I think it is on Robin's site- but I have 235 cc on hand right now!

How long does it last in the freezer? I have some in the freezer from last May, should probably throw it out, what do you think?

Please read the instructions for collecting, freezing and storing colostrum that are on ROKO's site. They are very important since the colostrum doesn't have a pop up button to tell us if it isn't any good any more.

And HAPPY AND SAFE FOALING everyone!

Charlotte

Latest posts

Back