Puppy getting second shots.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked as a Vet Tech for 17 years. Parvo and distemper are terrible things to deal with. Your Vet is just looking out for your puppy. Please understand that most Vets don't do it "just for the money" they do it because they have been there, done that....

Don't be too alarmed that everyone doesnt vaccinate their dogs on most vets schedules. My dog gets her rabies every year as required, but I dont get lepto for her ever (the one time I did get it she had a very bad reaction, and got a 1/2" growth at injection site that had to be removed) I also only get her other vaccinations every three years. This is not me being cheap, but what my vet recommends, and what I agree with. We used to have tiders done every year, and they showed that we didnt need to re vaccinate.

thanks for all the replies, makes you want to think about what is best.

Also notice they give the 3 year shot for rabies, but says needs to have another one next year. I think I will pass on getting them every year, being the 3 year is OK here in Ontario. I think sometimes less is best.

Do you give rabies shots every year. Just wondering thanks.

New Mexico is one of the states that does NOT allow individuals to buy and/or give their own, rabies vaccinations, so we have to take our dogs to a vet for that. For years, there was also a state law requirement that rabies be given yearly, even though I began hearing quite some years back that the rabies vaccine was a THREE-year one. Only recently has our state law been changed to allow a three-year interval, as reflected on the vaccination certificate/tag you are issued upon administration; so now, you will be asked if you want a one-year or a three-year rabies, and will be charged more if you say three-year. Does anyone know for a FACT that there even IS a one-year AND a three-year rabies vaccine? I feel that it is likely the SAME VACCINE....but 'what a deal', if it can be charged MORE for if to be for the full effective interval of three years!! Am afraid I DO think there is some 'money grubbing' involved, at least, sometimes.

Margo

First let me say your puppy is adorable. I for one am not a fan of too many shots. I had a Yorkie that the day she got her second set of shots she got parvo. She was given a modified live shot and I prefer the killed. No one else here got sick and she spent 3 weeks at the vet on IV's. She was 13 or 14 when she passed. She never received another shot after her parvo problem.

We are required to give a rabies booster shot one year after the first one, then only every three years after that.

thanks for all the replies, makes you want to think about what is best.

Also notice they give the 3 year shot for rabies, but says needs to have another one next year. I think I will pass on getting them every year, being the 3 year is OK here in Ontario. I think sometimes less is best.

Do you give rabies shots every year. Just wondering thanks.

parvo has an incubation period of 5-10 days so no way your puppy got the virus from that vaccine.

And dogs do not have to leave your propery to pick up viruses. You can bring them home on your clothes and shoes. ( which is why I never bought into the "keep the pup at home till fully vaccinated" train of thought.

Oh and once the get parvo, they do not have to be vaccinated again. (As long as they survive the virus)they have lifetime immunity ( well until the virus decides to mutate)

First let me say your puppy is adorable. I for one am not a fan of too many shots. I had a Yorkie that the day she got her second set of shots she got parvo. She was given a modified live shot and I prefer the killed. No one else here got sick and she spent 3 weeks at the vet on IV's. She was 13 or 14 when she passed. She never received another shot after her parvo problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, she could not have gotten it from the vaccine. It is likely she was exposed earlier and the vaccines made her immunocompromised allowing it to infect. Also, I would pick a live vaccine over killed any day as long as the person or animal getting it is not immunocompromised. With a live vaccine, only one dose is needed vs multiple with killed, immunity is longer with live, plus there is almost zero chance the live vaccine will become virulent while it is much more common with the killed. If the killing process is not precise the vaccine could either become ineffective or virulent. People seem to be afraid of live vaccines just because of its name when in fact the killed should be the concern. Also, killed requires an adjuvent while live does not. Over the years there has been a lot of concern over the types of adjuvents used and their adverse effects. Most side effects from vaccines are due to adjuvants and not the vaccine itself. Aluminum is one of the main ones used and it is a neurotoxin to the human body. Also oils are often used and studies have found that they can do quite a bit of damage too-like causing different autoimmune diseases. There is a lot of contraversy concerning adjuvants and scientists come up with new ones all the time and we do not know their long term effects. SO, if you ever have the choice, choose the live!

Latest posts

Back