Probios

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are to put the proper bacteria in the intestines. Aids in digestion. It is the same as the stuff they sell for people.

This is directly from the Probios website:

What in the World are Probiotics?

Animals "for life"
The word “probiotics” literally means “for life” and is the opposite of the word antibiotic. Probiotics are good bacteria that can help boost the levels of beneficial bacteria in the gut, whereas antibiotics attack and kill infections and unwanted bacteria. For animals, probiotics are more commonly referred to as direct fed microbials, or DFM’s.

Billions of Bacteria?

Every animal with a digestive system, including humans, has bacteria in their digestive system. Without bacteria an animal could not digest food. Animals have an extremely complex collection of about 100 trillion microorganisms in their entire digestive tract. The intestine of animals contain billions of bacteria, some of which are beneficial (good bacteria), and some which are pathogenic (bad bacteria). Under certain conditions, such as stress, traveling, and antibiotic treatment, the natural balance of beneficial bacteria in the digestive system is disrupted. The number of pathogens increase while the number of beneficial organisms decrease, causing digestion upsets including: diarrhea, constipation, and discomfort. In animals, DFM’s can restore the normal balance in the gut and improve the overall health of the animal.
I keep my show horses on daily probiotics and any horse here on antibiotics also gets probiotics to help keep the 'good bacteria' in the gut.

Probiotics are out there from several companies. There is the probios brand (the paste is great for animals that seem like they are on the verge of colicing, especially when you don't want to top dress the feed, since the feed is the first thing to go in a colic incident) there is fast track, there is a microbial something or other that Tractor supply has, I am sure there are others. They all have alot of the same ingrediants/enzymes in them and they all accomplish the same thing. They aid in gut/digestion regularity by adding beneficial microbes and enzymes to the intestines. The same as the activia yogurt for people, by the way, if you are in a pinch, you can give them the yogurt, if they will eat it. I personally would rather the paste rather than adding something foreign to there compromised system.

Probiotics in the top dressed form can be given on a daily basis to keep them regular, especially during the winter months.

Works a lot like "organic" yogert does for US....to get our digestion back on track.......

And some people actually feed yogert to their horses with good luck.

Latest posts

Back