Private treaty?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Private treaty doesn't put me off in the slightest. If I like the horse I'll inquire.

Why not say "price neg. to right home" ? List what that "right" home would be.
Why not? Because as soon as you set out what the right home would be, then there are those that will simply make up a story to fit the home you describe! I want to talk to the person & find out what they are looking for, what they want of a horse and what they have to offer my horse--that will give me a better view of whether or not they are the right home for my horse.
If you are the sort of person that thinks I am
default_pinocchio.gif
less than honest because I don't price a horse in the ad, or list it as private treaty...well, chances are you are not a person I would want to sell my horse to, and so it suits me just fine if you don't inquire!
default_thumbup.gif

Apparently using 'private treaty' is a good way to weed out a lot of tire kickers. It also frustrates those who really aren't interested in the horse but are interested in knowing what everyone else is asking for their horses.

There are some very successful breeders/sellers who never (or seldom) list prices in their ads or on their sale pages--these people sell a lot of horses so I'd have to say that using private treaty or 'e-mail for price' does not discourage the serious buyers.

IMO if I buy a horse NO ONE is going to tell me what I can and can't do with it. If they want to retain some breedings from a stallion that is different But other than that and a gelding contract I bought the horse and I may have the intention to show it but when it comes to show time and my finances is someone going to come and take my horse because I had agreed to show it? NO Private Treaty here.

If I see a horse I really like, Private Treaty does not at all keep me from inquiring and I like the idea that if I buy the horse, the price is private and not widely known. I also don't have a problem letting a seller know if a price is more than I'm looking to spend.

I don't have a problem with private treaty, like others have said if I like the horse well enough I'll inquire. Also, sometimes details are between two people and the entire world doesn't need to know what those details are.

If you are the sort of person that thinks I am
default_pinocchio.gif
less than honest because I don't price a horse in the ad, or list it as private treaty...well, chances are you are not a person I would want to sell my horse to, and so it suits me just fine if you don't inquire!
default_thumbup.gif
Your right, I probably don't want your horses
default_488.gif

I am selling my horse and, I talk to people to find out what kind of a home she would get, she is still here because I haven't found that person yet. I have her price listed and I really don't care who knows. I am not sure who would care ?
default_rolleyes.gif

But oh well, list your horses a pt. . .

Private treaty has been discussed here at L'il Beginnings many, many times. My opinion is, if you really, really need or want to sell a particular horse, you will not list it as "private treaty" no matter the conditions/terms you have in mind for the sale/buyer. Sellers, just look at these responses, more seem to be against than for the idea of private treaty. Why lose a sale (that you need or want to make) over "wording".

I usually do not inquire on horses that are listed as private treaty. I, personally, do not like to see it, but I think that a seller should do what they feel is best for them and their situation. If I really, really liked a horse, I might inquire, but I have been involved with various breeds of horses since 1988 and I have YET to inquire on a private treaty horse. Someone else said something like "there are too many other horses out there with prices and conditions/terms listed UP FRONT to bother inquiring on a private treaty horse" and I agree wholeheartedly. I have yet to regret choosing/purchasing a horse with price and conditions/terms listed up front over a horse listed as private treaty.

I considered listing my 2009 filly PT so I can get bigger show folks to look at her or someone big in the miniature industry. BUT in the end I listed her price because even I love to show and Im not a big know farm, I personally dont look at the PT's, I like to see if the horse is in my price range and the biggest thing is, A LOVING HOME IS WANTED MORE THAN ANYTHING for my little filly!

Private Treaty means......if you have to ask, you can not afford it.

When one puts Private Treatly on the price of a horse, it means one can change the price according to who is inquirying.

Years ago, when selling my puppies, I tried and experiment just to feel out what people were looking for. I had 3 pens that I put puppies in. One pen were the show puppies, one were the nice but not quite the best of show (still they could win a championship) and the last pen were just pets. Then I priced each pen accordinly. I have to say I lived in Connecticut at the time and got a lot of New Yorkers. (Long Island and NYC). Well, the most expensive ones went first (even though their buyers were not goint to show). So I started moving puppies up to the most expensive pen. Still, those sold first before the pet ones.I even put a pet wuality in the show pen to see what would happen. He sold before the other pet quality ones. Showing me that people think they are getting the best (even when they do not know) just bcause they paid more money for it.

There are many out there who feel that if they have paid a lot of money for a horse, it must be a good one. Since they really have no idea what they are looking at. Same goes for pedigree.

But that is a new topic.....

Last edited by a moderator:
DISLIKE and ditto for the above reasons! I see no reason why someone can't put what they are asking on the ad. If it's a big price, so what? Or if they want to retain breedings or something or do a partnership, JUST SAY SO!!

Ok, don't laugh at me for saying this but everytime I see the words Private Treaty, it makes me think of what the US government did to the Native American Indians. I am not NAI but it sure sounds like double talk to me and no I will not inquire. Why can't you just be upfront and honest about what you want for the horse?

I bought my filly on a private treaty. Had a great experience with it and would do it again in a heartbeat.

I honestly had never heard of a private treaty before I inquired about her. So to me it was all new. The breeder I bought her from only has 1-2 foals a year and tries to place the horse in the right home. So she is selective on who she sells to. I feel priviledged to have been chosen for my filly and it didn't matter the price.

I would def inquire about a horse with private treaty in the add. If I like it and think I would give it a good home and the seller agrees that is all that matters right.

I'm not in the market for buying any horse (as much as I'd die for Erica's bay ASPC baby...), so this is a moot issue for me. Nonetheless...

When I am shopping for anything, I like to preserve my anonymity and not-really-shopping status for as long as possible. It's just one more type of fear of commitment. As soon as I have to ask, in my mind I've made a connection with the seller and cannot so easily just walk away. Therefore, I like all the information I can get right up front.

However...

In today's market, I think anyone would be cheating themself not to ask. With the prices even stunning horses with incredible pedigrees are bringing, I could very well see a seller thinking, I will never get what this horse is worth, and I don't want him labelled as a $XXX horse, but I HAVE to sell him/her. I'll take this amount, but I'm not telling anyone but the buyer.

I have had good experience and bad experience with Private Treaty.

I really have to say I dont like inquiring on Private Treaty horses. Scares the heck out of me. Because I have inquired only to be told a HUGE Price and when I thanked the seller for their time and that the horse was in fact out of my price range. They got angry and very upset with me. One statement made and I will never forget it was If you have no money why did you ask wasting my time.

I will inquire on prices on pages that have no price listed. As I feel are being respectful of privacy of potential buyers. Also usually those people are ones that under stand money doesnt grow on trees and there for do not get mad if you thank them for their time and let them know the horse is out of your price range. I have also found that these are the people who look at the person inquiring and then judge whether they can drop the price to what I can afford or give me the option of paying what I was planning on up front and then payments for what I wasnt planning on spending.

I have also seen that many of the Miniature Horse breeders that have horses for sale have them priced remarkably well.

I have my price posted on my filly like I said before. And just reciently I had someone (compleat stranger from CA) contact me about her and asked all the questions and wanted to see lots of photos. I happily gave her anything she wanted. In the end, she said that my filly was everything she wanted but was out of her price range because she could'nt aford her + the shipping. I never got mad at her for looking and taking my time since I love to brag about her anyway.

IN FACT, she was also looking at 3 other fillys to possibly purchas and I even helped her out in choosing the best one rather than just try to sell her mine. She was so happy with all the info to consider when purchasing the "right filly " for future breeding and which one truely stole her heart. In the end she picked out that filly who stole her heart which was a different filly than mine, and I was soooo happy for her in that decision. Now she is a new and proud owner to a great little bay filly who has what she was looking for + in her price range and I could'nt be more happier for her!!!

I still send her photos and her back to me as now we became kind-of computer friends instead of just buyer & seller!
default_laugh.png
default_wub.png

PT doesn't scare me but rarely will I contact someone on a horse with those letters attached to the horse. Most of the time PT does = $$$$$$, but not always.

The thing that has made me giggle about this thread is the strong emotions that have come out regarding PT. Good grief seller have just as much right to put stipulations on horses they are selling as people who don't like it can move on. Life is short and dang it's hot out!
default_laugh.png

Good Afternoon All,

Good topic and everyone’s opinion of what they perceive of what the definition of a “Private Treaty” means to them.

What is a “Private Treaty”?.....A Sale of property (in this case a horse) at a price agreed on by the seller and buyer without an intervening agency; the exchange of goods for an agreed sum of money; a sale of property (again a horse) on terms determined by conference of the seller and buyer.

I don’t have a problem with seeing “Private Treaty” on the sale of a horse. That wording looks alot better than seeing…selling price of $3500 or Best Offer. Is that horse actually worth $3500 or is that horse worth what ever the seller and buyer agree upon? Same thing as a “Private Treaty”. It’s still an agreed amount in which the seller and buyer both can live with. What is someone willing to pay for a piece of property (a horse) is different in each one of us. Some with pay really high prices…thinking they have to have the very best…when they probably could have negotiate that price down, still get the horse of their dreams and not mortgage the farm.

Karen

Latest posts

Back