Private treaty?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samantha S

Reaction score
I am wondering do you like or dislike when farms and sale ads have horses listed as private treaty or "email for price". From a buyer's and seller's point of view would be great.If you don't feel comfortable listing your reasons for the whole world, please feel free to pm me.Thanks

It really doesn't bother me either way. If I am interested in any horse I will inquire. If it is out of my price range I will just say so and move on. Not a problem. I usually do not list horses at private treaty, but I wouldn't rule it out.
default_smile.png

I really dislike it, and I won't inquire. I don't see the reason for it. If you are embarrassed about the price then maybe you need to rethink the price. If you want to offer less to a show home, then say so. Or just lower the price if a person who wants to show is interested. I see it as the seller trying to be cagey and unforthcoming. If that is the way they want to approach business, in a less than upfront way, I will just move along.

When I sell an animal I am as upfront as possible.

I also REALLY hate when people list horses for $1 then in the description state that the horse is more. It just tacky imo.

Even if I like the horse.. if I see PT... I figure there is no way I could afford that animal and I will not bother to ask about it.

DISLIKE... IS THE HORSE FOR SALE OR NOT? I HAVE NEVER UNDERSTOOD THAT... IS IT A WAY TO IMPOSE CONDITIONS ON THE SALE...? TELL IT LIKE IT IS... I PERSONALLY PASS THOSE HORSES UP. IT IS NOT WORTH THE EFFORT TO BEG FOR THE PRICE.

That is what I am thinking if I know what I want for the horse then put it on there, if I am willing to negotiate I should list that as well. I usually don't like PT but wondered what the benefits where. Is it because the seller does not want the general public to know what the price of the horse is? Are they afraid that someone will not inquire if they list the price? If I like a horse then I have a price in my head what I am willing to pay whether the price is listed or not.

I absolutely answer ads that say "private treaty" This does not always mean that the horse has a huge price tag. It might mean the horse has to be shown, or they want to retain breedings, or they just dont want the whole world knowing the price.

While I have never used it I have bought a horse that was advertised private treaty

Kay

I find some of these answers really interesting! To me private treaty does not necessarily mean a horse is excessively priced, it means the horse's price will vary to different homes and situations. I generally read private treaty as "we want something special for this horse." I've currently got a horse posted as private treaty only because I'm looking for something very specific in his next home--what I would actually take in price from that home is something I think anyone could afford.

Personally, I have no problem with "Private Treaty". As a matter of fact, I prefer that not everybody and their brother knows what I've paid for some of my horses.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why... must be a psychological reason... but I also will not respond to "private treaty" ads.

I think the problem is, most high-dollar horses are listed private treaty, because if the horse is sold it protects the buyer and seller from the public knowing exactly HOW MUCH it sold for... you just have the prestige of having the public think the horse sold for oodles and oodles of money.

Now, I do understand in many cases there are simply "reasons" a horse is listed at private treaty... BUT I don't understand why the ad cannot just say "two breedings must be retained" or "show home with a professional trainer only" or "just the right home only due to the sensitive nature of the horse" or something, along with a price.

I guess I hate to be a tire-kicker if I'm not even REMOTELY able to buy a horse, so I don't ever bother. There are just too many horses out there with KNOWN prices that I can inquire on.

Andrea

I find some of these answers really interesting! To me private treaty does not necessarily mean a horse is excessively priced, it means the horse's price will vary to different homes and situations.
This is why I think it is less than honest.
default_pinocchio.gif

I generally read private treaty as "we want something special for this horse." I've currently got a horse posted as private treaty only because I'm looking for something very specific in his next home
Why not say "price neg. to right home" ? List what that "right" home would be.

I have much more respect for someone who lists in their ad: "to show home only" or, "preference giving to 4h or FFA".
default_yes.gif

what I would actually take in price from that home is something I think anyone could afford.
But you don't know what I can afford
default_wink.png
, if you post the price then I can look at the horse if it is in my price range inquire or just pass it by it is not.

I am not trying to pick on you
default_wink.png
, I was just using this as an example of why I dislike pt.

No - does not bother me at all..if you are really interested in the horse you will inquire anyway. I think it has its place
default_yes.gif

If you inquire and the horse is out of your price range, then it is simple to just say "thanks for your time but that is a bit more then i was looking to spend"...it never hurts to ask.

I will not inquire on a PT horse. I like to see a $. I have had people hound me in the past about purchasing one of their horses, and it is just hard for me to say the horse is priced to high for me. I am afraid of hurting someone's feelings.

I find some of these answers really interesting! To me private treaty does not necessarily mean a horse is excessively priced, it means the horse's price will vary to different homes and situations.
This is why I think it is less than honest.
default_pinocchio.gif
I think it's much nicer to handle those things in private than to give a flat price on a horse and then point blank tell someone that can afford that price that you just plain don't want to sell the horse to them.

How would you handle it other wise. Give them a price that you think would be more than could they afford? Again you don't really know what someone could afford and what they can not. Why not just say, "I don't feel comfortable with this sale."

I for one have decided not to list prices on my web site. Just for the simple fact of spam mail! When I did list prices I received a HUGE amount of scams. The type of I love blank horse and am going to send you a Money order/ cashiers check, you arrange the shipping and send back anything left over…. Since I’ve taken down my prices 95% of the spam has gone away. I still receive some scams from various listings but it is night and day. If anyone is truly interested in one of the ponies that I have for sale I am more than happy to answer any questions about them either by phone, visit or email. Just something else to consider…
default_yes.gif

I for one have decided not to list prices on my web site. Just for the simple fact of spam mail! When I did list prices I received a HUGE amount of scams. The type of I love blank horse and am going to send you a Money order/ cashiers check, you arrange the shipping and send back anything left over…. Since I’ve taken down my prices 95% of the spam has gone away. I still receive some scams from various listings but it is night and day. If anyone is truly interested in one of the ponies that I have for sale I am more than happy to answer any questions about them either by phone, visit or email. Just something else to consider…
default_yes.gif

I never thought of that, that is very interesting because we get alot of scammers too, might have to try that.

Personally, I have no problem with "Private Treaty". As a matter of fact, I prefer that not everybody and their brother knows what I've paid for some of my horses.
default_wink.png

I have purchased horses through private treaty and I know on some horses I don't want every tom,dick and harry to know what I spent. I am really glad so many people are responding, several answers that I would have never thought of and it seems that this is a very split topic. It makes you have different perspectives on pricing/advertising. I thought for sure that I was on one side of the fence but now it seems like I am sitting on it.
default_wacko.png

Latest posts

Back