Price range poll for a colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What range?

• <500

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 500-1000

• 1000-1500

• 1500-2000

• 2000-2500

• 2500-3000

• 3000-3500

• 3500-4000

• 4000-4500

• 4500-5000

• 5000 +

• Total voters
First let me say nice colt, I would be very happy with him. I probably should not jump in here but this is a subject I struggle with all the time. I am new to the breeding of miniatures, got my 1st in 2005. Like most of us, grew up with full size and never thought I would fall in love head over heels in love with the mini's.

Here is one point I myself have to consider-although my horses come from the who's who blood lines and JMO, are as nice as some that sell for twice as much. I do not have the reputation behind me that the others have put many years into and have rightfully earned. My goal is to try to give special consideration to show homes, since I cannot seem to find the time to show and take care of them the way I do.

Another problem I have, is that people want COLOR....CHROME.....I have some solids that I being the ametuer that I am, but know a nice comformation when I see (from being involved with horses all my life) it think are much more awesome, but will price much lower. As a mater of fact my two soilds are going to be double registered and the paints AMHA only.

My problem with AMHR, is they are not DNA'd and parentage quailfied.....if I am buying for the bloodline I want DNA proof. This I learned with one of my 1st mares, are AMHR papers where fraud. I know it is more expensive, but I feel if you are going to boost the bloodlines, and price for the bloodlines then provide DNA proof. We know Boo boos can happen, and they have really came my way.....I listened to the old school "They shoot blanks until they are 2" :new_shocked:

I hope you post the end result......I am guessing its going to be 500 to 1000.

Here is one point I myself have to consider-although my horses come from the who's who blood lines and JMO, are as nice as some that sell for twice as much. I do not have the reputation behind me that the others have put many years into and have rightfully earned. My goal is to try to give special consideration to show homes, since I cannot seem to find the time to show and take care of them the way I do.
No I don't have a name/reputation backing my horses, most people don't when they start out.. I too am trying to find show homes as it is not possible for me to get out and show, I simply do not have the time or money with me trying to finish out college and looking into going to grad school for another 2-3 years, the money I do have is going right back into the horses and my family...

My problem with AMHR, is they are not DNA'd and parentage quailfied.....if I am buying for the bloodline I want DNA proof. This I learned with one of my 1st mares, are AMHR papers where fraud. I know it is more expensive, but I feel if you are going to boost the bloodlines, and price for the bloodlines then provide DNA proof. We know Boo boos can happen, and they have really came my way.....I listened to the old school "They shoot blanks until they are 2"
I can understand here you are coming from on this, but that's why I buy from or buy horses that were registered by a reputable breeder.. The sire of this colt was bred by Getitia at Buckeye Walnut Creek and the mare at Iles miniatures, both are respectable breeders

Snowcaps are notorious for roaning out in time... like his dam. However, they are also considered about 96% color producers for a variety of blanket or 'hip' patterns, depending on what you breed them to.

He is showing signs of roaning out already, and will probably end up about like his dam, color wise.

I have not thought him to be grulla at all either, but a smoky black or a bay of some type.

He is not a bad colt, I have seen much worse!! His overall porportions dont seem too bad, but I would not say he would ever make a Pleasure driving horse- I would like to see a bit more slope to his dam's shoulder and his as well.

I would probably price him around $1000 or so. And yes, only being AMHR would hurt his sale, in my opinion.

I say you never know!

A friend of mine in Maine sold a snowcap R colt, good appy bloodlines. B size for $2,000 cash when he was 5 days old. The buyer saw him and wanted him for his color. She was a newbie and IMO way overpaid for the colt BUT she was happy with her purchase.
It's not the size, or potential for B size, that would keep his price down imo. I was thinking she thought he'd stay A size, but only has AMHR papers (which won't help). For a NICE halter quality B... I'm not surprised when good money is paid, even more than $2,000 for quality isn't at all unusual in my opinion, but it's got to be halter quality (for me anyway).

No I don't have a name/reputation backing my horses, most people don't when they start out.. I too am trying to find show homes as it is not possible for me to get out and show, I simply do not have the time or money with me trying to finish out college and looking into going to grad school for another 2-3 years, the money I do have is going right back into the horses and my family...
I understand where you are coming from, but for a show home to put their time, energy and money into your horse, he's got to be show caliber. I don't care if a horse is free. If he or she isn't what I think will win, I cannot justify time and money into showing the horse.

Personally I think he should be priced between $1,000 and $1500. Remember you can always come down in price but not up. At this point he is nice looking, nice length of neck, etc. his tail set is a bit low but then pictures can be deceiving. It is so difficult at this stage of the game because they change so much from now until they are 3 years of age when you get a better idea how they will finish. I am bit shocked at those that voted for $500 or less :new_shocked: . We are talking at the moment that minis are going for a dime a dozen and I truly think it is time for breeders to stop flooding the market and bring the prices back up to where they should be. You can't buy a purebred dog for $500!!! I believe if you keep pricing them low that is what will be expected. So to me hang on to him till you get the price that YOU believe he should get. If you are selling him on a "gelding contract" then perhaps closer to the $1,000 mark at this point.

As far as not having AMHA that is not a deterrent for me because we have no AMHA shows where I am, only a few AMHR so if I see an AMHA only horse I quickly eliminate from even thinking of purchasing, so you see it works both ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danielle makes a very good point- you can go down in price, but not up-I priced $1,000- $1500 but in hind sight maybe you should start at the top end of that- and put "negotiable to showing home"

If you wish to seriously breed show animals there is no way round the fact that you have to show- or get your horses sold to serious show people- in order top do this you will, IME , have to let the fist few go cheap, or at least cheapish, to guaranteed show homes- you can put this sort of explanation into the "blurb" at the top of the page.

I like your colt from what I can see of him. The only thing I noticed, and it may just be the angle of the pictures, is he could use a tad more neck. I do know a little about show horses and also have a little experience in sales both private and auction. I could not vote on what your colt would bring or be worth because so many things play into that. How he is marketed, how he is presented, who is interested in him, and what the buyers perceived value of him is and what their budget is. Sadly another and often big factor is who is selling him. Reputation, as someone else said, plays a big factor and in the world of horses perception becomes reality. I have seen colts not that much different from yours sell through out the range of prices you listed in the poll. Some were to cheap and some were way, way to high. One thing I have found is many buyers don’t trust their own judgment and if you price the horse to cheap they think he must be poor quality and will pass him up if they are looking for a really nice colt. If you price him a bit on the higher side they may give him a better look and might make you an offer you can live with.

Latest posts

Back