Pregnant mares and protein

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostedpineminis

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if people can tell me what percent of protein you give to your pregnant mares as well as how much? I was told by a well know farm that you should not give a pregnant mare anything over 10% protein as she will abort. They also said they feed about 1/2 to 1lb of grain twice a day.

I would like to know how much protein people are feeding their broodmares and how much, I see here and there that people are feeding numbers like 6-8 pounds of pellets and feed ect. are these people feeding hay and how much ect.

I want to start my broodmares on a program but not sure which way to go? I also have some mares that are larger than others, do people feed on a pen basis or somehow feed each individual horse its own program?

My mares are on good quality alfalfa/grass mix hay through a round bale hay net so can eat full time if they want, they have a mineral block with salt and I feed some grain more as a treat. I should also say my mares are in good shape with some being a little more on the "fluffy" side.

We do not have purina mini horse feed or Omelene ect which is why I would like % and amount sorry.

Also my other concern is that since we sort of dropped our percent 2 out of the 6 foals that we had last year had bad bites ( both parents had good conformation and perfect bites as well as other foals with perfect bites) does this have something to do with the protein or is it just a coincidence/ something else I should be investigating

I feed my broodmares Purina Equine Junior starting their last 1-2 months. It is 14.5% protein and about 5% fat. The last month I switch them from alfalfa cubes to alfalfa hay. I also supplement with Platinum Performance.

They get about 1.5 - 2 lbs of grain twice a day.

I get nice healthy foals and mares with a good milk supply.

My mares are fed separately the last month to ensure they get the proper amount and so I can monitor their appetites.

We keep it between 10-12% up until about 60 days before foaling when they are moved up to 12-14%. They are kept there until their foals are weaned.

I would have a complete nutritional analysis of everything your feeding to see if there is something missing.

Were the foals with off bites all sired by the same stallion? Out of related mares?

The bad bite thing would appear to be recessive, so one of the parents, and it would -probably but not necessarily be the stallion in this case, could "carry" it without exhibiting it at all- it is a flipping nuisance!!

I give my mare around 16% but they are out 24/7 and getting a lot of grass roughage (of course they prefer to graze even poor grass than eat good hay) so I am "making up" for what is missing. They get a "long" feed but not a huge amount of grain. I do not really change feed for foaling as by that time they are on good grass and get very little if any feed.

Thanks guys, non of the stallions or mares where related at all. I really hope its not a recessive gene. These crosses will never be repeated again I guess as I don't own some of the horses anymore but I still hope it is something that I can control if that makes any sense. I guess I will see what this year brings and go from there, it looks like I can up my protein a little when it gets closer to foaling.

I have safely fed more protein than that for many years.. I feed a 14% Bluebonnet pellet to almost everyone, including in foal mares, throughout the year. For the last 2-3 months, pregnant mares are brought up and fed separately, a 15.5% protein/9.5% fat, Purina product designed for mares & foals. The mares stay on it until foals are weaned, and the babies stay on it through their first year. They get a good quality coastal hay and limited alfalfa with this. I don't overfeed grain but I've had very good luck with this in terms of healthy mares & foals, good bone, etc.

Jan

Latest posts

Back