Preg. Test: any false positives?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elf

Reaction score
My mare didn't go back into heat so I gave her an equine urine preg. test it and came back positive! Hurray! According to my breeding dates, she would have been 342 last week. She has a small bag and I have managed to get the smallest drop of clear liquid out. Her vulva relaxes and shrinks. After reading a bunch, I have heard that some mares keep small bags (she has had one previous foal), always have a little liquid, etc. I'm starting to wonder if she's pregnant at all, or just fat. Has anyone had a false positive result with these kind of pregnancy tests?

Out of 6 urine tests I did last year, all were correct. Five bred and one open. In the past I think I have had one false positive from Pregnamare test and one false positive from the Foalproof test. They were both on the same mare.

Occasionally mares will go as long as 360 days or possibly even more. Good luck.

This may be a stupid question, but, how are these test used? I thought about using one on my mare that I'm hoping is in foal. I'm assuming they pee on a stick? I'm picturing myself running around waiting for her to pee so I can get the stick in it!!!!!!!!!!

When did you test the mare? That too may mean something. Maybe it was not within the recommended range, or perhaps if it was early on in the pregnancy, she may have slipped the foal. Is she not showing other signs? If she is past day 342, you should defiantely see/feel the foal in there easily.

This may be a stupid question, but, how are these test used? I thought about using one on my mare that I'm hoping is in foal. I'm assuming they pee on a stick? I'm picturing myself running around waiting for her to pee so I can get the stick in it!!!!!!!!!!

You rig up a cup to their behind to catch the pee.
default_yes.gif
: I have pics, but unfortunately, my site is down and not allowing me to upload at the moment.

When did you test the mare? That too may mean something. Maybe it was not within the recommended range, or perhaps if it was early on in the pregnancy, she may have slipped the foal. Is she not showing other signs? If she is past day 342, you should defiantely see/feel the foal in there easily.

You rig up a cup to their behind to catch the pee.
default_yes.gif
: I have pics, but unfortunately, my site is down and not allowing me to upload at the moment.

I would love to see pics if you get your site back up. Thanks.

What a great idea. I think I'm going to order a test and give it a try. Thanks for the pic.

There is an excellent thread on how to collect urine on "The BEST of Miniature Horse Forum", but Mona's excellent pictures on page two are missing. Hope there is some way they can be salvaged.
I guess that is my fault, because I deleted them from my server. I guess many pics posted on the Forum go missing that way, since over time, they get deleted thinking they are no longer needed since they are not stored on the Forum Server, but on individual members servers.

I used the urine & blood tests this year, so far they have been correct 100% of the time. I have 3 very preggy little ladies out there :bgrin

The urine test must be done after day 110 to give an accurate result. See Wee Foal Checker for details of this product.

ETA My mother-in-law had a mare with a +ve blood test, that went 369 days before foaling...you may have a bit of a wait on your hands yet...
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The urine tests are valid from 120 days in the USA post breeding until the last 6 weeks..earlier or in the last 6 weeks of pregnancy could result in a false negatives..Mona, remember your cool collection pics are on our FAQ page on our WEEFOAL and FOALPROOF tests ads on our website.. Quarter Moon Farm LOL We've had 100% accuracy with over 175 tests of our own and clients horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
my youngest daughter works parttime at a race track in the test barn..........I went one night to watch- they have to literally catch the pee in a cup on a stick-------funny to watch-but, dangerous for the girls. They stand behind kick boards- thay night one crazy TB mare kicked right thru a double layer of boards.........the things we do..........joy

kyles4thgradeceremony006.jpg
teeballlittlebelle174.jpg
kyles4thgradeceremony005.jpg
kyles4thgradeceremony004.jpg

teeballlittlebelle172.jpg

These are some photos of her. I saw movement last week, which I felt confident was a foal (or large alien) moving around. Now I haven't seen that movement in a week, and am beginning to worry and even wonder if the test was wrong and she's not pregnant. But I haven't seen her go into heat at all this season, so maybe I'm not crazy and just off on the dates. What do you think?

I think you have a very pregnant little girl there, she's just not ready quite yet :bgrin

I don't use the urine strips because they are not always accurate. My vets here don't have small enough equipment to ultrasound, either. However, there is a blood test that can be done at 60 days and it is 99.9% accurate, and that is what I use and it's never failed.

I can't believe it, but I had myself convinced that my mare wasn't pregnant. Well, she had a little colt last night! I'm so excited; it's our first foal and we've been working towards this for a few years. Hurray! I will post a picture tomorrow.

I wanted to add that it was pretty easy to get the urine for the test because my horses always pee when I arrive.
default_smile.png
So I brought a cup with me the day the test arrived and just stuck it in the stream for a couple seconds and that was it. Other people may not have horses, though, that pee when they arrive, so you would then need one of those groovy special attachments. But hurray, my first foal! It's amazing! :bgrin

:aktion033: YAY!!!! CONGRATULATIONS on your new colt! After seeing those pics of your mare, I can't believe you talked yourself into thinking she was not in foal! :new_shocked: LOL!

Latest posts

Back